Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like my kind of luck. That sucks hineys!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Typical..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_2019-06-13-08-12-40-1.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Finally got the new head gasket in for my 25hp Briggs yesterday. Shipping damage. Cracked in 3 places from being folded. So now we wait again. Meanwhile the Cub deck decided to eat the belt.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I had the same issue when I ordered some briggs head gaskets some years ago. They must bend pretty easy. BTW, I had so many issues with those INTEK engines I made sure my next mower had a Kawasaki engine. Going on 7 years with zero issues.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopars1 View Post
    Sounds like my kind of luck. That sucks hineys!
    On the plus side, everything should come right apart this time with no heat required. If I wasn't doing that, I'd be doing something else, lol.

Kind of a rave I guess. In my work rack is an RO to replace the trans in a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 and with all the heavy "grunt" work lately, wasn't really looking forward to it. It's for a paving company (American Asphalt). Just a small company, they've ONLY got about 75 pickups for the crews to use along with the heavier trucks and equipment. Looked under the truck today and,,,,,,,,,,,,TWO WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy days!!!!! Actually, 90% of their trucks are 2WD so it didn't surprise me too much. Since the trucks are parked in the winter, not much asphalt paving going on that time of year, they don't need 4X4 and most importantly, they generally have little to no rust.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    On the plus side, everything should come right apart this time with no heat required. If I wasn't doing that, I'd be doing something else, lol.

Kind of a rave I guess. In my work rack is an RO to replace the trans in a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 and with all the heavy "grunt" work lately, wasn't really looking forward to it. It's for a paving company (American Asphalt). Just a small company, they've ONLY got about 75 pickups for the crews to use along with the heavier trucks and equipment. Looked under the truck today and,,,,,,,,,,,,TWO WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy days!!!!! Actually, 90% of their trucks are 2WD so it didn't surprise me too much. Since the trucks are parked in the winter, not much asphalt paving going on that time of year, they don't need 4X4 and most importantly, they generally have little to no rust.
    Cool! I currently have a 4wd Dodge 1500 that replaced my Cummins 2500 2wd and this is the very first 4wd I have ever owned.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    Good deal on the trans job!

I've had very few problems with this Briggs engine. Oil has been sieving through the head gasket for going on three years now when it finally got so bad I'm replacing it. Ran fine, so why bother til it gets too messy to keep up with? I had to adjust the valves on that side once and that was it. I'm calling the voltage regulator as fault of my negligence in fixing the oil leak or keeping it clean enough to get away with the oil leak. I didn't clean it for like a month and it taught me the cost of that was $70. But I don't know many people who've had a MTD mower still going after 15yrs.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I always had very good luck with the older Briggs until my last Intek. That was enough for me.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had 2 Honda walk behind mowers and the engines were always great,,,,,,,,,right up until they had a catastrophic failures after a few years and many hours (1/2 acre lot). One was running fine until it all of a sudden fee wheeled. Blew a rod. The 2nd one was the same, ran great, always started on the 1st pull and then, it stuck an exhaust valve, pulled the guide out, and poked the valve right through the piston. Enough with the Honda's. Replaced it with a Toro Personal Pace self propelled (I'm not getting any younger, lol) mower and so far after 4 years, not a single problem with the Brigg's. It's odd, no choke, no throttle control. Just pull the cord and go. I still haven't figured out how that personal pace thing works. It's like magic. If you stop, it stops, walk slow, it goes slow, walk faster and it speeds up without moving a thing. It goes exactly the speed you walk. Could be alien technology, lol.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Lol! That sounds pretty alien to me! My last push mower was a self propelled Toro GTS 5. If that gives an idea how long it's been since I had a push mower. I don't push anything on my current yard. I do still have an old Toro aluminum deck with the Tecumseh short shaft on it. I don't know that I'd trust to run that thing but it sure looks cool! My 25hp Briggs is a '04 ELS Twin. "Extended Life Series." Maybe that's why I'm just now fixing the engine even though I'm not certain about the transaxle or deck. A good engine is always useful tho. I'm not even sure what an Intek is, but it sounds about as useful as those light gauge sheet metal decks look on every mower I've seen under $2600 in the past five years. They just seem cheap and I'm not going to spend that kind of money on something I'd have to throw away as unserviceable in a few years.
    Volare Magnet