Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing *stops* the virus from spreading. Lots of things reduce the chances. Masks mostly reduce sick people spreading it to others. The surgeon isn't trying to keep from catching your disease when he operates, he's trying not to give you something in those open wounds he is making. Typically a more important form of viral spread is from people getting it on their hands from all sorts of places and then rubbing it into the corner of their eyes, up their nose, onto their food. You should check out sometime what hand washing means to a surgeon. It takes several minutes and there is an assistant at the end. I can reasonably wear a mask, but I can't reasonably wash my hands like that every time I touch anything at all that didn't come directly from a full blown sterilizing autoclave.

Early on when this looked like a 10% to 30% mortality it made sense to get a little panicky. Now I think we can agree that the mortality is substantially lower than that. Certainly people can choose to try to avoid it for whatever reasons they have. People should also have some room to choose otherwise.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, this county has had 3 deaths attributed to Covid and they were all people in their 90's with preexisting conditions. Out of a total population in this county of 150,000, I'd say the mortality rate is pretty darn low.

At any rate, I just checked on the status of the big (800+ cars) cruise coming up in August down in Wisconsin Rapids (about 50 miles SSW of here) and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you guessed it, cancelled. I've been looking forward to the cruise for months and now will have to wait an entire year, especially since it's the ONLY organized cruise (and organized PERFECTLY I might add) anywhere near here at anytime during the year. Much sadness ensues.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    23 deaths from covid in my county of 50,000. It seems to be trending toward the younger people now as a lot of the older people are taking more precautions. The more people know about the virus the more they respect it. Those that ignore it are part of the problem with the virus getting worse for themselves and others. It is just not the death count but the long lasting effects of the ones that survive. Many have lung issues and other lasting side effects. I hope they come up with a vaccine soon.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 6 Days Ago at 10:30 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    White County, GA has a population of almost 30K and has five deaths. The thing I don't understand is that when restrictions were eased people almost across the board here stopped wearing masks. Unfortunately this novel virus is going to be around for a while and PEOPLE need to take personal ownership. County, state or federal government cannot mediate personal risks.

I believe the torch bearers to help "control or steer" the covid virus are individuals in their 20's and 30's.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Friend of mine had it and was a wreck for 4 weeks and very sick for two more. Not quite hospital sick, but no working sick. He's ok, but that kind of off time might cost many people their job. My work can mostly be done from home, so I'm doing that to help other people reduce exposure. If they can't take off from work, at least I'm not in their face stacking their odds. I'm pretty tired of talking only to my cat. I'd like to get back to normal pretty soon.

United States
    Thanks
    Rattle Trap -- RED BARN!!!!!!!!

I never made it there, always heard how nice the show is.
    Last edited by Stalkervette; 4 Days Ago at 03:28 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    Friend of mine had it and was a wreck for 4 weeks and very sick for two more. Not quite hospital sick, but no working sick. He's ok, but that kind of off time might cost many people their job. My work can mostly be done from home, so I'm doing that to help other people reduce exposure. If they can't take off from work, at least I'm not in their face stacking their odds. I'm pretty tired of talking only to my cat. I'd like to get back to normal pretty soon.
    My concrete guy had it. The guy is a healthy young beast of a work horse (early 30's). Still down with it but said the first week absolutely knocked him off his feet, never experienced anything like it before. Thinks he picked it up when they went on vacation in FL.

Fortunately I was never around him.....

United States
    Thanks
    Positive Raving: I have something positive for the other Vet's on the forum. I was at the main VA in Atlanta for some tests yesterday - they have it locked down so hard in a positive way that I don't think a mouse fart can get in. Overboard? Probably. But they are doing the right thing for a vulnerable population. The tech I had said the VA has zero indication when their lockdown will end, they are only bringing in the "must see" patients. Everything else will be televisit. Double mask, face shield, gloves and serious social distancing.

Negative Rant: I need to go to the dentist for a routine visit, but cannot imagine what that will be like.

United States
    Thanks
    Any routine stuff I have been putting off for now. Was hoping it would have been gone by now or at least on it`s way out. This crap wants to hang around and make us suffer.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Red Barns is much closer than I had thought from last time. From here it's actually quicker getting there than to Pittsburgh's east suburbs to see family. Bonus, no ridiculous mountains. Just rolling hills and inland lakes.

Pretty sure I had the new C words over the winter. Most brutal nasty thing I ever experienced. And then followed with a month and a half of chest pain before that let go too. Nasty stuff. But not "at risk" so couldn't get a test back then. Now don't want one to add to the inflated number game they're playing. Today the headline read New Daily Case Record, but the "new case daily onset number" was 8. Yes, only 8. Checked the Dept of Health website myself and shared the site with others along with encouragement to see for themselves that we're being lied to. I'm in a "Red County" according to our governors threat level system. We finally had a new case today for the first time this week. Pretty scary to know one person within 25 miles got it, right? Especially considering that's 12.5% of actual cases! Yeah, total of 8 for the state. Yesterday it was a big 14 for a state with a measly 12 Million population though. 14. Scary stuff.. sounded so much more comforting with the make believe number of 1,369. It's all so absurd. Same thing you see in other so called hot spots like Florida. Look at the official numbers instead of the overview and its always a different story being told. Had enough of it.
    Volare Magnet