Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think I can move my car with the door open. I can't remember. But do you recall my story about the first thing my wife did with it? Parked it and turned down the equally large centrally located radio volume knob, then rolled into a tree as she reached into her purse with it still in drive. I still think she's lying about that because my perimeter alarms make that car the most panicky ridiculous thing I've ever known of in my whole life! BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP !!!!! You're FIVE FEET from something at a dead crawl.... You're still halfway out of the parking space. ALARM ALARM! Oh and even better, the line of LED's on top of the dash that blink in my field of view bounced onto the windshield when going over 5 mph. SMH... A car has slowed to turn five whole car lengths ahead of me at 35. My pace says I'll be down to 1.5 and totally clear them easily but... if I don't tap the brake this P*$$y@$$ machine loses it's (r@p! OMG OMG OBJECT IN OUR PATH 100 feet away! I swear. I probably give that nanny a heart attack at 75 mph at least every other week due to the even more panicky and ridiculous freakin Morons I've got to get thru in my commute. Usually I'm 2nd or 3rd or 5th in line of people who can actually drive and should be the only ones allowed on highways above surface street speeds. But occasionally I'm leading the pack and flashing the horns to the driver behind me with one hand and a single finger salute to the "driver" now on my left as I do what they will directly next to get around another idiot pedestrian driver camping in the wrong d@mn lane with my knee...LOL! (not really)

But that's another thing... Aside from WAY TOO MUCH electronics involved in our vehicles today... WORTHLESS items that are causing "chip" shortages in this era of nobody wanting to go to work while another nation who will remain nameless but who's people speak a language that sounds like dropping a handful of spoons grapples for world domination after setting a nuisance loose on the planet....... There really ought to be a graduated licensing system. Seriously. It should be that we recognize you can operate with basic safety requirements that DON'T involve insurance companies raping every other driver for your presence. And then we can further recognize that you actually understand multi-lane highways at high speed and can competently navigate higher speeds while actually KNOWING when to yield the lane and slow down a whole 2 mph to the right and allow other traffic to pass. Lead, Follow, or GTF outa the Way! Nobody got time for your nonsense. We got lives too. Move your stupidity over to the right. For all you know, we're rushing to a Hospital for desperately needed care. But no.... your complete lack of road manners and common sense is perfectly acceptable to our licensing system being one size fits all. So here we go again and my car is going to lose it's marbles today and give me the giggles....
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:50 PM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    yep. Sure enough. As I remembered, my car will move with the door open. The only time it goes into park automatically is if you shut the car off with it in a gear. The car is still a great big sissy.

But here we go again! Round #2! Ding Ding! Son got booted out of school again today. Another dummy who probably barely had any symptoms but who's helicopter parents freaked out, went and tested positive nearby him in class.

On the bright side, I see them being forced to recognize the superior characteristics of Natural Immunity soon. It's been shown by both Cleveland Clinic and an Israeli study now and even the propaganda media arm of big corporate interests can't put that back under the rug. My boy tested positive for antibodies. We already test antibody levels to determine risk factors for other ailments. It won't be long now before Real Science triumphs over agenda and profit schemes. Man, that's gota suck for the control freaks. But it gives me the giggles. I always like seeing liars and cheats get beat.

In case you weren't yet aware, here's my local Legit news channel story on the topic. RAVE!

https://www.wtol.com/article/news/he...9-7eed73d4d9b6
    Volare Magnet

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (4 Weeks Ago)

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, those bleeping perimeter warning deals. Any vehicle with that crap is nothing nut BEEP BEEP BEEP when driving into the shop, and between the hoist posts. Same crap when backing out. Little led's blinking and flashing, flashing and beeping. Think Shatner on the moon base when the lunar shuttle was coming in for a crash landing after Elaine blew Roc. Shut down the bridge, let's go home.

"Best" part about all the nanny warning systems is, when they quit working for some reason, it's usually not inexpensive to repair. Grand Caravan/T&C rear side cross traffic warning comes to mind. There's a sensor/module on each side, mounter to the inside of the bumper cover, right out in the slop, salt and other assorted crap. When one fails, and they do fail on a regular basis, after you figure out which one is the dead one, the (radar) sensor/module is roughly $700 plus labor. Amazing how many of those vans have that system, and it doesn't work anymore, lol! I remember at the Audi dealer and some had adaptive cruise control. There's a radar camera in the lower grille and guess what happens in Wisconsin in the winter. It snows. and then there's snow banks. People run into the snowbank and do no visible damage except,,,,,,,it broke the radar camera. Cost to repair? Radar camera is $2,500 and it's about a 1 1/2 hour job to replace PLUS roughly a 3 hour procedure to aim and calibrate it, with equipment only an Audi dealer would have. Big target screen, used in conjunction with a specific Hunter alignment machine and program, a scanner with the needed program and a couple lasers. To say it's tedious, is an understatement. The coarse adjustment isn't so bad, it's the fine adjustment. That's the part that takes a good 2 hours or more, and it has to be absolutely PERFECT. IIRC, the grand total for parts and labor came to over $3,500, just for bumping a snowbank. Fix it or, do without the adaptive cruise you paid an extra $1,800 for when buying the car. No thank you!

I guess it was Dodge Durango I was trying to think of, with the turny knob on the console and not that bad to use. It's basically where a shift lever is supposed to be. Still, give me a shifter with a cable attached that has the other end attached to the trans any day. Whether the lever is in a console or on the column, don't care. Even the goofy Caravan/T/C shift lever in the dash is OK.
    Last edited by aspen79; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:27 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh, yeah for sure man. Idiotic placement of modules and sensors. No protection for them but a half open lower shielding in the rear. And don't forget that even if you don't damage an adaptive cruise system, anything that means replacing the bumper cover means doing some of the labor regardless of if it can remain mounted during repair. The one deer I got was small and did a ton of lower fascia damage Turned everything mounted to it and behind it into little plastic nuggets in the lower tray. The real shocker was the LED headlight being $1600, without the computer that mounts in it and each headlight requires in order to operate. Of course those have to be reused from the original as they're non-serviceable French made parts originally. Which means that as headlights do get destroyed or computers do simply fail, and the existing used parts from originally manufactured vehicles with the same parts get crushed out of the junkyards, your car becomes useless no matter what shape it may still be in. So much useless or overly complicated technology that really doesn't serve the sort of purpose that's required. It's the whole reason there's a shortage of new vehicles. If they just made the vehicles with less nonsense that nobody needs and most people don't want to pay for, there'd be significantly less need for 'chips'.
    Volare Magnet

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (4 Weeks Ago), Stalkervette (4 Weeks Ago)

United States
    Thanks
    I agree. There is no reason they need to run every single thing on a car by computer. What's the saying,,,,,,"Just becasue we can do a thing, doesn't mean we should do that thing", or something like that.
    Ford F-150's with the fuel pump control module mounted above the spare tire on a frame crossmember. The module is (was) made of dies cast white metal, and they had it mounted tight against the steel frame. What do you get when you have two dissimilar metals in contact, and add an electrolite, in this case salt water? You get a battery and what does that do? Causes mass corrosion. The die cast housings pretty much turn to dust, water and salt gets inside and next thing you know, it's coming in on the back of a flatbed with a no start. Dodge and RAM trucks with the TIPM. Where is the best place to put it? I guess right in front of the battery and just behind the radiator support. Salt from one side, battery acid from the other and, none of the high amperage connectors are weather sealed. Corrosion gets inside and causes all sorts of things to fail, some of which end up like the F-150, on the back of a flat bed. Within the past year, 've repaired a number of Jeep models that are a no start, or other complaint). The relay panel is inside the fender on the left front, between the fender liner and front bumper. Fairly well shielded BUT, the wire harness comes from the engine compartment. Water (and salt water) runs down the harness and with surface tension, makes the turn and continues back up the harness right into the connectors and relay panel. In most cases, the only fix was to eliminate the affected relays inside the box and splice on relay connectors, mounting the relays externally. The relay panel is part of the main harness so replacing it isn't really an option. Chrylser mini-vans,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PCM mounted int the same location only not as well protected. The PCM case corrodes away, exposing the insides and eventually, the van stops dead in it's tracks. GM trucks, trailer tow module mounted under the truck near the spare tire and you can guess how that works out. I could go on for days with stupid module and electrical component locations. Most of them are not inexpensive to repair. Pice ranges from $200 for the F150 FPM, to $900 for a TIPM, $1,600 for a PCM, and it goes up from there, especially since a majority of modules require programming to the vehicle and it's another $40-$80 *depending on manufacturer) to buy the program and an additional hour or so of labor to do the actual programming procedure. Some makes we have to haul to a dealer for programming. Chrysler is one. Their system is so ef'd up, it isn't worth the grief trying to get the program, then go to a different site and download it, then a different site to do the actual programming. If it's a newer Ford (along with certain other makes) and the module has to do with vehicle security like a PCM or BCM, we can't do it no mater what. You need to either be a dealership or master locksmith with a master locksmith license number to gain security access on the vehicle to be able to do the actual program download. Still need to add in the labor to find the problem, although on some you know exactly where to look first before even getting out any test equipment (i.e. F150 no start). Just plain BLEEPING STUPID. It's like some of the engineers don't have a clue. Hate getting old but on the other hand, I retire in 10-12 years and will be out of the business before it gets really, REALLY impossible to fix cars and trucks, and don't even get me started on all electric cars. Don't know much about them and how to diagnose and repair them, and too old to learn, lol.
    Last edited by aspen79; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:49 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

8. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (4 Weeks Ago)

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Next car I build will have zero electronics. Only exception may be a Holley or MSD EFI carb. My current hot rods are so built around modern technology that they are almost impossible to work on or diagnose in the driveway.

In high school we would pull engines and trans on a Saturday and cruise that night. Who remembers working on a car until 3AM or changing a mechanical fuel pump when it is 15F? That is the wrenching that I miss.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stalkervette For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (4 Weeks Ago), Rattle Trap (4 Weeks Ago)

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I think Aspen79 needs to build another car with every electronic he can find

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkervette View Post
    i think aspen79 needs to build another car with every electronic he can find

Not!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkervette View Post
    I think Aspen79 needs to build another car with every electronic he can find

:****: LOL!

One thing's for sure, I like talking to guys like aspen79 prior to ever purchasing a single thing these days. I only get to see how ignorant engineers have become in my one little spot along the line of a single product. But it's industry wide and we need to know these things and how hard it is to deal with protecting our investments.

I think that electronic ignition with a spare ICM and even a spare points distributor with a small spool of wire are more likely good investments at this point in the devolution of usable technology. It's all just come to a point of useless overspending on pointless technology. I threatened to sell the Cordoba the other night. A guy who hasn't contacted me yet has always been interested in trading. He also has a very interesting car. It can't be documented as what it is, but I am confident enough that I'd add it to my collection anyhow. But he hasn't called yet. I did get another call today that the summer wheels I ruined by dolly towing another car to a friend (long story) are about to be replaced and for much less than I expected. What I should really do is just replace the steering box the Doba needs to be a better car and be done with it. Aside from the loose box, the only issue that car ever has is eating another $40 parts store POS ICM every other year. I inspected and rewrapped the entire engine harness in the extensive rebuild, so I know it's just poor quality parts and not another issue.

In case you didn't remember, the Doba is a '78 400ci California non-ELB with the one year 727 B-engine lock-up trans. It has a 8.25 sure grip with 2.45 gears and a rear sway bar too. Obviously it's a dog-azz boat off the line. But it cruises at 75-76 with an avg 24 mpg. You read that right. I'm getting 24.2 mpg on basically flat ground with the cruise set at 76 on a bigblock. It's a step down from the FWD Appliance I drive regularly with a knob in the console selecting the cycle, but I'm thinking that with an AC recharge, seat heaters added to the earlier Daytona highback buckets I got, and just the addition of better speakers in the rear of the sound system, I could totally not miss the 4.4 MPG difference on a daily basis. The Cruise still works fine and I figure I could get a lot more years out of that Appliance Mobile by continuing to rack up miles on the great job I did with this one that's perfectly serviceable and would be competent with just a few dollars more yet less in total than the next payment on the depreciation-mobile that will only pay itself off ever in usage until it's completely wasted and worthless and can't be rebuilt beyond those parts availabilities for an obsolete appliance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-10-08 15.36.59.jpg   2015-12-21 20.29.10.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    What I see is, the companies spend way too much time and money on R&D of the techno-gadgets, at the expense of other systems. Honestly, the quality of vehicles has gone backwards the past few years and the last 10 have been the worst. Things that used to last the life of the vehicle, now puke out under 100,000 miles. No reason why we should be replacing transmissions in as new as 2018 Silverado/Sierra trucks at 70,000 miles because they're slipping bad. Not necessarily work trucks, trucks the regularly haul or tow heavy loads, just Joe Public's personal truck. Timing chains on some vehicles at 80,000 miles? Suspension parts at 50,000, front struts on Acadia/Traverse at 30,000 miles.............I could go on for pages. Then again, can't count how many vehicles come in that have failed techno-gadgets that aren't all that old or have a ton of miles on them, but it's too expensive to fix so the owners go without. What cars and trucks have become are throw away appliances and I wouldn't want any of them. Doesn't seem to matter what brand it is, they're all going downhill fast. GM and Nissan seem to be the worst but the others are not all that far behind. Then have to consider they must have forgotten how to build vehicles that don't rot out in 5 years. Back in the '60's and '70's it was fairly normal to have rust holes at 5 years but they got much, much better years later, and now are back to 1974 all over again. A couple weeks ago there was a 2019 Silverado in the shop with holes above the rear wheel openings. Yes, a 2019. Worked on a Nissan Altima the other day that had the front floor pans rotted through. It was a 2017.............I find that unacceptable, especially considering the sticker prices these days.