Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    We do it right in Arizona. Makes dealing with other states confusing, though. Is Michigan two hours later than us or three? Depends.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I took Mopars1 recommendation seen on another thread somewhere and got a case of the $25 LED 4ft strips at Rural King.

RAVE

I had 14 of my 20 light positions running, with T8's. Didn't think I needed more. But 2 of those ballasts were going bad so I stuck the LED's in them. T8 is a pair of 2700 Lumens each rated and the LED is 5500 so only 100 more, but WOW! One in the 2nd row and another a column over in the 4th position suddenly left a noticeable dark spot right in the middle of the garage. So I added another in 4 and then between 2 & 3. It's a cold pure white that's pretty annoying all by itself so I don't see fully removing the warmer looking T8's but with 4 LED in supplement to 12 I have a whole new garage! To look at them they're blinding and seem to be specific in the area they shed light but I have light bleeding into areas that were always dim before and can't believe adding just two more T8 fixtures would have caused that same thing. This is going to make the darkness of winter a whole different experience! I'm putting the other two upstairs. SOOOO NICE!
    Volare Magnet

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

Mopars1 (2 Weeks Ago)

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Matt were they type A? So if I do every other one then that should work out better then replacing all the bulbs?

United States
    Thanks
    Hey Mike, no these are the 5500 Lumen 50W full fixture LED's that fit right inside my existing T8 fixtures because they're actually just enough shorter than a real 4ft light. I just cut the wires to the ballast and dropped them thru and wire nutted them to the new fixtures placed below inside them. I have rather deep fixtures because I traded some parts to a guy for the 40 industrial fixtures he pulled from a Speedway gas station he renovated. The Type A's I was looking at supposedly provide significantly less Lumen rated light measurement than the fluorescents. Between 1650 and 1800 Lumens per bulb @ 13-18 Watts compared to 2700 Lumens at 32 Watts would mean I'd end up adding significantly more fixtures to achieve the same Lumen light and actually spend more Watts of power to accomplish it. I don't see adding another 10 fixtures for a less efficient means of achieving the result of same or better Light. Ever since David mentioned it, I've been looking into it and planning a move I've felt took me too long to realize he was 100% on. More fixtures is just too complicated and time consuming even tho I've spaced them to have that option and have a stack that won't cost me $30 each. I did add two to the total, but Holy Cow the difference any at all have made is just Amazing! Plus I'm not only lazy about jobs I don't actually want to do but in pain from wretching my back doing just the 4 new ones I did already. I'd forgotten what a job it was. It looks easy enough til you're six feet off the floor to reach the ceiling and contorting yourself on a ladder to reach everything. But I wanted to get ahead of the winter BLAHS from being in dim light when I'm trying to have my happy relaxing work time in the garage with nothing filtering in from the windows. The way it is now, I'm replacing/ adding into the old fixtures with Two T8 2700 Lumen @ 32 Watts tubes, = 64 Watts and 5400 Lumens per fixture with a whole 2nd fixture rated 5500 Lumens @ 50 Watts. For the $25 I'm in wired up and done pretty easily for an efficient 14 Watt savings per fixture. My adding 72 Watts power consumption after deduction for the ones with ballasts I know will misbehave in the coming cold with the two extra LED's got me a whole lot more than I would have gotten from adding two more T8 fixtures, even if I ran fluorescents in them. If I would have simply replaced two more of the T8s rather than adding I know I would still have significantly more Light since I've also checked by only turning on certain banks already and since I ran the LED's into 3 of my switched banks I can see the difference with each flip of the switch compared to where I was even without the one that was short before powering a couple extras now. I hope this all makes sense to you. It really bothers me to take so many words with my inability to be concise. David really hit a Grand Slam Homerun with his recommendation. I just had to spend stupid time proving his advice to myself before following it.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:42 PM.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Plus the fluorescent bulbs do not like cold temperatures.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopars1 View Post
    Plus the fluorescent bulbs do not like cold temperatures.
    That's what got me off my butt and up that ladder finally. I didn't want to deal with the one that likes to flicker or the other that just turns off and on at random thru the winter. The light difference causing the noticeable dim spot between the first two I put in really shocked me! So I'm just going to do what I have to turned into it's a good thing I bought a six pack and can even this up with more. Thanks for the advice on that! It "Feels" so much nicer after a couple days of having more light!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    A rant from the snowy, slippery drive to work this morning. What is it about some people that makes them forget that snow is slippery? The majority were driving accordingly for the conditions but there's always the idiots that think it's a dry summer day. I didn't see any cars in the ditch the way I go to work but heard there were a few on the Interstate and other highways. I always think it's funny how 9 out of 10 vehicles you see in the ditch are 4-wheel or all-wheel drives. It gives them a false sense of security. Granted, an AWD is better on snow and ice than 2 wheel drive, especially if it's got all the gizmos like ABS, stability control, blah, blah, blah, but that doesn't mean you can do 70 on snow covered ice. Too bad they don't have automatic idiot control, lol.

Minor rant: Why aren't the "smilie" things in alphabetical order so you don't have to scroll through the whole list to find the one you want?
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    A rant from the snowy, slippery drive to work this morning. What is it about some people that makes them forget that snow is slippery? The majority were driving accordingly for the conditions but there's always the idiots that think it's a dry summer day. I didn't see any cars in the ditch the way I go to work but heard there were a few on the Interstate and other highways. I always think it's funny how 9 out of 10 vehicles you see in the ditch are 4-wheel or all-wheel drives. It gives them a false sense of security. Granted, an AWD is better on snow and ice than 2 wheel drive, especially if it's got all the gizmos like ABS, stability control, blah, blah, blah, but that doesn't mean you can do 70 on snow covered ice. Too bad they don't have automatic idiot control, lol.

Minor rant: Why aren't the "smilie" things in alphabetical order so you don't have to scroll through the whole list to find the one you want?
    The smileys menu mess... Dude. tell me about it. It's embarrassing. But since I have to hire people to fix this mess and it's a big chunk, it's still waiting me to have a windfall. Some days I just want a Skyfall if you know what I mean.

To your main rant, I see those clowns spun out or overturned in the ditch all the time. I have to admit I like the challenge personally. But only in a car without gizmo's trying to second guess me that will just end up destroying me. Technology isn't as smart as people think it is. I've been completely sideways on black ice with guardrails at both ends approaching a downhill bridge and saved it myself, just when the traction control light went off to say, HEY we've got this. NOOO, if you had this, I would be DEAD Already! Just give me something without a nanny and I can enjoy 20 or 30 mph over everybody else fearing their lives because the AWD and Traction Control will get into a fight with each other and roll it. Sometimes I wish the drivers who should be pedestrians didn't have those benefits. It just makes them a problem for others. I still enjoy 50 or 60 in 6+ inches of snow and consider 60 on ice a good time as long as nobody else is near. Cuz these days you don't know if they might do something stupid even with the nanny. But then, I grew up taking K-cars out on Lake Erie for fun too. Man. Me and a couple other crazies knew where every boat ramp we could get a good shot at was in every town and would just skip the idiots on the roads to get down the coast. You could plow along or jump those things across fracture piles like nobody's business! Never did get wet either!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yesterday we had a pick up truck owner cause two tractor trailers to have an accident. One of the rigs went over the median and shutdown I-94 in both directions for several hours just before the morning commute. I'm so glad I take my mountain bike to work to avoid this crap.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77superpak View Post
    Yesterday we had a pick up truck owner cause two tractor trailers to have an accident. One of the rigs went over the median and shutdown I-94 in both directions for several hours just before the morning commute. I'm so glad I take my mountain bike to work to avoid this crap.
    That's practically a daily occurrence in the ten mile stretch surrounding where I-90 joins Ohio 2 in Elyria. They need to put a 36" drain pipe in the deep median and K rails above it to keep one batch of idiots from sending trucks across at the other batch of idiots. Friends, coworkers, whole families, and lots of truckers, suffering or no longer with us. But on a positive note, I'm looking forward to one friend and coworker rejoining us soon finally after extensive rehab, after being involved in one of the regular malaise back in July.
    Volare Magnet