Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Could someone remind me what the sun looks like? I seem to have forgotten, since it hasn't been seen around here for over a week now. All we've seen is gray,,,,,,,,,and rain.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Have I ever mentioned that I HATE doing brake lines? Well let me tell you....

I actually keep several sizes of lines racked up. Lots of fittings, specialty fittings, unions for them, 3 mini tubing cutters, 3 multi size double flare die sets, different types of benders, etc, and I HATE having to use any of it!
    But of course I only mention it because my daughter decided to panic stop her 89 5thA for a possum crossing the road and blew the back line. Well more like put a split in it. She made it home before losing brakes and thankfully didn't have to try out if a 31 year old air bag still works. So there's the first up side of this job. Another one might be that we figured this out while the weather isn't yet the fall rains and it's also still in the 60's during the day, instead of the middle of a snow and ice covered car bottom.

But I HATE doing brake lines.

So anyhow I grabbed a couple 3/16" 60"s and took a couple liberties on the bends to make them go all the way. Spun the end off one and put the big end on it for the prop valve then went to flare it. Aaaand of course the whole thing went sideways and snapped the last double die in that size in the box. REALLY? Well of COURSE! What a stupid POS design. It's MADE to be broken regularly. So we hop in my car and go to town and on the way I start calling ahead. NAPA's already closed so no point calling the people who'd be sure to have useful stuff. Advanced only has the whole set for $50. Been there done that. Why do you think I have 3 of those pieces of crap? But that price! Dang, I know it's 2020 and all but Jeez! It's a $20 set! Autozone gives me the same story. Like people don't break the dies anymore? What's wrong with you people? So there's an O'Reilly's a few blocks further into town now. I don't even know their number yet so I just keep on driving to them. Get there, same story. But I'm there now and we go look. He tries to show me the $12 single flare set when he finally see's the double box set after I just did. But there's the wonderful made in China bends when you try to grip a line set without vise-grips reinforcing the bite like all the others, double set, right there for $22.99 But wait. What is that under it? A 3/16 double flaring TOOL? Wait, what? It's $44.99? Well I still gota look at this thing. Hey wait. Hold the phone this thing looks like it might actually work! For twice the price of course.

So we get home and I give this sucker a shot. Holy Toledo it does work and it makes an absolutely perfect double flare to boot!

So silver lining #3 I've got a new tool, and it WORKS BEE-UTIFULLY!

Slap that crap under there pump some fluid into a cut open tall boy on a couple 6x6's at the right front and bleed it til the hose quits making bubbles and leave that one open to start on the rear. Crack it here, crack it there, run the air... And end up at the back T fitting cuz we don't need to go breaking any old bleeders if we catch this air as it pushes down the rear axle hose. WOOHOO Easy Peasy solid fluid no issues close up the front circuit and shazam we have pedal and about 14 ounces of slightly brown crap but mostly still reasonably decent looking fluid in the tall boy from the front hose.

So I'm actually feeling pretty good about this after having written it down. An easy headache job turned into a long job but I got a new tool and also got to spend all that time with my daughter who's very appreciative of now knowing another thing on her car is solid and done right. Well, aside from my line routing to not involve a 2nd union. It works. And I didn't freeze my @$$ off doing something that was going to happen eventually anyhow. That's what's important.

So be sure to check your brake lines! But don't call me if you feel it's coming time to replace them as preventative maintenance.

I HATE DOING BRAKE LINES!
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:16 PM.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I hate doing brake lines too. Did I tell you I hate doing brake lines?
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    This tool?? https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-D...a-908005192786 Will it work on stainless too?

United States
    Thanks
    Yep! And it just DID work on a stainless line, not that cheap crap!

PLUS the die gel tastes like Strawberry!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    RANT. It's 35 degrees, wind out of the north at 10-25 mph and snowing. I mean snowing as in a bleeping blizzard.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Glad to have a good review on the tool. I may just have to get one for myself.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    RANT. It's 35 degrees, wind out of the north at 10-25 mph and snowing. I mean snowing as in a bleeping blizzard.
    You keep that mess up north Rich! I've got a couple more weeks of work to do! Holy Cow, why I'm even saying such a thing in the middle of October is beyond me. I should have been ready for this a month ago. Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    Glad to have a good review on the tool. I may just have to get one for myself.
    I've made some double flares that I was proud of before. It's always easier the bigger you go. But 3/16" is by far the hardest of them all. And it's not like it truly matters if the die is new or old or if you think the tube is perfectly cleaned up from cutting or the C-clamp press is dead centered or anything else. It can walk on you despite all your best efforts at every step of the way and send the whole thing sideways in one eighth turn of the handle. It's so frustrating and angering. And then even when you get it apart, most of the time it doesn't look as good as a machine made piece even though it works.

Well this Tool just took all of that problem away. I can't honestly say that I've made a better looking flare in all of the 30+ years of doing this on the shade tree hobbyist level. It was absolutely Perfect right down to the nicely uniform rolled outer edges indicating that I hadn't over crushed it, and the perfectly centered inner lip. I'm not looking to get into another one of these jobs any sooner than necessary but this one tool just took away all of the dread over the job, that I've had all these years. I can't possibly more highly recommend any tool than this one which just took away decades of anxiety.

And I'm still happy with my routing too. Lol! Since all I didn't do was make the 90's that held the line directly to the back side of the trans crossmember. The rear section was already a perfect recreation of the factory piece by the time I figured out I was a couple inches short with the material I had onhand to eliminate needing another 4" piece on the front side to bridge the gap if I followed the rules of Ma Mopar. In other words, a pair of 60" tubes would have made it on a coupe.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    Nope

United States
    Thanks
    Nope? I wish! It gets better. Woke up this morning to see it snowing. Couple pics taken around 8am. Grumble, whine, complain..............................It's not supposed to do this crap for another month or more. Sigh..............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00468.jpg   DSC00469.jpg   DSC00470.jpg