Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    You know what I say to PC don't you? It's something I can't post here, LOL! I'm hardly "big boned" and nowhere near husky. 5' 10" and a whopping 130 lbs which is, ironically, the same I weighed senior year of high school back in '82.

There is one thing that's really good about very hot weather and it has to do with the female of the species and what they wear, or should I say don't wear. You know what I mean. Saw one at Menard's with shorts so tight and short she had to shave before putting them on, and I'm not talking about her legs. I may be old, I'm not dead!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    +1.

United States
    Thanks
    My rider uses about 2/3 tank every cut so I fill it up every time. BTW, I love my Cub Cadet Kawasaki rider vs my old Briggs Husqvarna, The Husqvarna was constantly needing repairs. So glad it`s gone.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I hear those zero turns are really great on lawns but I've never even tried one. Just not real sure what I'd do with such a large piece of equipment that's a one trick pony.

Used to run a Huskee, if that helps. 2004 25HP Briggs, 50" deck was nice even tho it always only bent the grass over to an uneven cut on the last few inches of that left side if I didn't leave an overlap. It was PC. "Parts Chasing". But I made it work long after all the others like it had been scrapped. Finally got fed up after I broke the 2nd transaxle, which of course was nothing like any other MTD built tractor although a few parts would swap into it. I could probably fix it again. Engine runs great. It's pretty slow though.

Now I'm using a mid 90's Cub Cadet 2160 I picked up for $250 needing deck repairs and stuff a few years ago. Man I welded the crap out of that deck. Replacement steel and a couple improvements on the original design. It's a nice stout machine. I run it hoodless and cut cupholders into one fender from some modern car at the junkyard. That's where I keep the screwdriver for sparking the starter since the solenoid only clicks it with the key less than half the time. Works out fine and the fully useful 48" cut is as good as I was getting out of the old 50. Plus the hydrostat Cub is a lot faster!

Hopefully I'm done breaking stuff on it for a while now too. I lost a deck guide wheel last fall and couldn't find it anywhere until I was weed wacking way out back this spring. Welded that on but didn't check the other side. It broke off yesterday. ...and I ran it over of course. Nicked a blade pretty bad but didn't bend it or the spindle shaft! So now that has fresh weld too. Man it's nice not having to stock spindles and blades for in case I run over a random small piece of tree debris or something that found it's way into the lawn! Those Huskee fitting spindles seemed to bend shafts if you just looked at them wrong.

I am a little amazed how much better built the Cub is for still being an MTD. Even with the lower HP Kohler horizontal shaft engine and being almost ten years older than the one I retired, it does a better job.

I don't think I'll Rave about it. But I'm happy...
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I have a 1/2 acre lot so it's borderline walk behind size. Thought about getting a rider but then figured it'd still take just as long since I'd still need to use the walk behind in all the areas a rider wouldn't be able to go. Plus, then I'd need someplace to store the rider so, it's not worth it. The self propelled Toro Personal Pace (still say it works like magic) takes some of the work out of mowing the lawn. Previously I had non self propelled until about 5 years ago but, I was also younger then. When the Honda stuck an exhaust valve, tore the guide out of the head and snapped the head of the valve off (same as the first one did 8 years earlier) and I HAD to buy a new mower, self propelled was on the priority list, and NOT another Honda!

The garage A/C is working excellent. I like this new one. The old one was mechanical and the fan ran constantly, whether the compressor was running or not and when it was running, made the whole wall hum and vibrate. New one is almost silent and in ECO mode, it shuts the fan off when cooling isn't needed, and the fan speed is automatically controlled. It's got a remote so I don't have to climb on the workbench to change settings, plus it can also be a thermostat. Put it at the other end of the garage and that's where it gets it's room temp reading from, when it's set in "IFEEL" mode. Having a display to set the desired temp is nice too. The old one was a guess, all it had is a knob that said "cooler and warmer". Now, will this one last 30+ years like the old one did? Probably not but, what do you want for $370 (on sale at Menard's)?
    Last edited by aspen79; 6 Days Ago at 10:11 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sounds exactly like mine. Bought last year. Not sure I fully trust this new lightweight AC. I really liked my 8yr old one it replaced. It wasn't one of those old tanks that ran forever, but I liked it. They said a recharge would cost too much last year tho. Drat...

I chose the 30K tho. For several reasons. 9,000 cubic feet of air to cool. 30K blasts it cold, then shuts down and waits for more need. Also, it's a 240V, so it's actually incredibly more efficient than an 18K 120V on the billing load. Combined with less run time I'm colder longer for less operating expenses. Of course, I paid a chunk more up front but if it lasts, the math is well in my favor. I just don't trust that this lightweight thing will. Call me a skeptic...

Oh, and since I take mine down each winter, this new style is a headache to remove the controls and remote sensor. They don't have a disconnect, so one person holds the face while the other removes them. Then tape them into a baggy for safety and tuck it into the vents. They could have just spent 0.5 cents on a disconnect clip to make me happy...
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 6 Days Ago at 04:09 PM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I was out in the garage for a couple hours today and the A/C was off more than on. It's in the 90's outside and I have it set at 68. Wish the house was insulated as well as the garage is. The 12,000 BTU is more than adequate for 720 sq ft and an 8 foot ceiling, I'm too tired to figure out the cubic feet right now. It gets left in place in winter, and I just put a cover on the outside. I'm guessing the old one was probably an 18,000 BTU(?). It weighs well over 100 lbs even with the bottom of the cabinet half rusted out (I discovered). Two of us had a heck of a time getting it out and then down. It's up near the ceiling and there's workbench under it so, it was "interesting" and a little scary, LOL. You know, what's going to happen once it's all the way out of the wall. It was an unknown. Lifting the new one into place was a piece of cake at 67 lbs. The energy tag says $96/year but what standard that is based off, I have no idea. The old one added an estimated $20-30 a month to the electric bill, depending on outdoor temps, so even it wasn't a big deal.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My entry door knobs get kinda hot at the worst of the day, so today I used the hot wire to cut some 2 inch rigid foam to a tight fit in the door knob and deadbolt holes allowing for the mechanism. Tomorrow I'll find out if it was time wasted. Anyway, at the price, I've got to find some uses for the FLIR besides the main one.

Using it to find the 6 ft by 8 ft section completely not insulated was the big win.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    RAVE RAVE RAVE.

And you know what that means right? YUP! I'm gunna RANT!

So
    It hasn't all been for nothing. See attached article at bottom.

I get a kick out of how they spend two paragraphs on the introduction then go right to agenda attempt by saying "limited in scope".
    As if that's not directly followed up with a large test group of 2,759 "test subjects"in a grouping of 52,238 TOTAL!!!!

This pretty much blows the entire "Covid Passport" idea out of the water!

BOOM! The SS Communist control measures and total loss of freedom of travel, Ship just SUNK!
    Well, at least until they figure out how to force us into electric cars but that's a different topic....

So this past year of incredible $#@& hasn't been for nothing! And you can stick those needles where the sun don't shine!

But I still get to wear a mask at work despite OSHA having already ruled on it. Fauxi's emails, and even a Harvard Study indicating it's pointless, while the CDC is about as credible as the WHO or even CNN. Thanks to Michigan being run by a Marxist Dictator, and that if one Union Member in One State suffers, we must ALL SUFFER. Because of course if they are jumping off a bridge over there, we must go jump off our nearest bridge in "brotherhood". Somewhere, somebody got this whole concept of banding together for strength by organizing upside down I think...

So a little bit of background. I've been there done that. A year later I've regained most of my smells too. Worse off than anybody I've heard of to regain them. Many things are still wrong so I may be exaggerating to say most. But let's just say a whole bunch of smells are closer than ever before! I'm really excited about it! Gasoline is Almost gasoline again, and it no longer smells the same as thinner, and antifreeze it's it's own weird thing, but at least it's smells sweet again. Onions are back and no longer repulsive. Still don't make me cry. Fire smoke is 100%! and yet it has no effect on me still. I guess that's my new Super Power. I can be totally immersed in ordinarily choking smoke to where I can only follow the light of the flames as guidance, without any bother. (just don't ask how I found that out...) SOAP! No Longer Repulsive! Nor is Deoderant!!! Oh man it feels so good to be able to stand being around myself. It's still weird. I don't know what that smell is. It's not right. I remember what should be right still. But it's not GROSS and I'm just putting up with it for the Normal People and being thankful for 10 hour shifts meaning I don't actually have to be "clean" for a few days before going into "society" and it's expectations again. It's just really GREAT to be able to shower every single day again. Without making myself sick to the stomach! And then just catching random repulsive whiffs of myself all day long. You probably don't know how that can beat a person down. To not be nose blind to your own disgusting existence that is actually just a function of trying to be acceptable to others while being fine with your own Real Stink and knowing better than to be that guy. It's just too messed up. So I'm really HAPPY about that for several weeks now too. I'm still looking forward to someday knowing the smell of fresh cut grass again. Got no idea what sort of strangeness it still is and has been. Nothing I've ever smelled before. No comparison to any other remembered smell at all. Maybe just a little bit to what my deoderant smells like after a few hours currently. Not that You'd have any idea since that's still not right, just Way Better than it used to be. I hope it comes back some day. All of it! Individual smells that are RIGHT, and their own smells. Just like they were so many ...just last year's ago.

So if you've already gotten the C19 vaccine, good for you. If that makes you confident to face the world today you have my support. If you did not Test Positive for Antibodies, it's your choice, and I have offered you my WORST CASE REALITY of what it could mean to you to become infected and live through it. There is more to life than survival. And I'm only telling what I'm comfortable talking about. It's not just smells for me. So don't take the decision lightly. But on the other hand, don't take it hastily either. If you haven't already made that choice I'm just a wreck that most people are not when coming out the other side. I am the minority of the minority. Actually not so different in the extreme as those who've had terrible side effects from the vaccines. And you've no idea what you're getting into with those for your own future personal health either. So just do you as best as you can. Make choices that are weighted by deep consideration. Be well, and most of all, find happiness in the little things. Life is short. Don't make it seem long to yourself. Unless you're looking back fondly, romantically, youthfully joyous of the moments. Those little bits of Beauty in a Mundane World.

It seems there's New Hope.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ere-reinfected
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 2 Days Ago at 08:08 PM.
    Volare Magnet

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (2 Days Ago)

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have had my two shots and the last one was almost three months ago. My wife has had her two shots and the last one was at least 1.5 months ago. I really didn't want to get the shots but relented to doing it for ****s and grins. I had no reaction to the shots and I truly hope there are no repercussions from them but you never know what lies in the future. I don't relish being a guinea pig either but at my age of almost 68 years what the hell am I going to do. I have never had many sicknesses in my entire life ever since I got over the bad ones brought home by my sister who is four years older than me. I had everything before I even started school and haven't had a sickness other than common colds since then. I worked for 35 years straight without missing a day for a sickness.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack