Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had enough of the shamdemic, along with everyone else around here. It's all been back to "normal" for awhile now and you seldom see anybody wearing a mask, most of the plexi-glass barriers are gone, everything is open 100% and thriving. "Vaccine Passports". Sounds way too close to being stopped at a check point and be asked, in a German accent, to "let me see your papers". The more that comes out about where it started from (like we all didn't already know) and who was involved in that lab, including the so called "expert" Dr. Fauci, the more pissed off about it people get. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but the whole thing does seem kind of manufactured and on purpose. Enough of that before I dig the hole any deeper.

On to a rave for once. After upper 90's and with Florida style humidity, it's back to 80's and not really any humidity (27% right now) to speak of and does it ever feel nice! One downside is with low humidity it gets really cold at night but as soon as the sun rises, it warms up quick.

Rave: The tree company came and ground out the two rows of tree stumps (38 in total), and some big roots yesterday. Rant: Two strips about 100 feet long each by 2-3 feet wide of destruction, which I knew there would be of course. Was going to take care of it myself but soon realized I'd be out there for a month straight working on it. So,,,,,,,,,going to have to bite the bullet and have a landscaping company (or something like that) do it for me. I hate spending money if I don't have to but I guess, this is one of those times where I have to. Maybe 20 years ago it would be a different story but age does tend to put limitations on what you can actually get done yourself, unfortunately.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    This is what I've got to fix, or more likely HAVE fixed. It needs power equipment I think. Good thing the freeway isn't close (2nd pic), lol. Just on the other side of that retaining wall, 8 lanes and a 2 lane off ramp at the 2nd busiest interchange in the metro area.. Noisy gosh darnit thing to live near.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00538.jpg   DSC00539.jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    When my other garage was built I had to smooth and level out the ground around it. A metal rake and shovel just wasn`t cutting it. I adjusted my deck on my rider to a few inches off the ground and dragged the dirt around until I got it leveled fairly nice. It worked fine with the sand and clay mix that I had dumped on the area. May not of worked so well with more of a dense soil though.

United States
    Thanks
    About 20 years ago, I moved 20 yards of soil when I filed in and did the front and side yards, one wheel barrow load at a time. There is no way I could do that anymore. This aging thing is really getting on my nerves, lol. I just simply can't physically do what I could a few years ago.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I won't pretend I wasn't equally crazy in youth, but thats 20 backhoe front bucket loads! Nope not guna happen. For most of 20 years now if it's more than one or two lawn tractor cart loads, I'm all about power equipment. I'd be like, Ring Ring.. Hello Universal Equipment. I'd like to rent a Bobcat for the weekend to move this dirt around my yard. Friday to Monday morning is still a Two day rental right? Great. I'll be in to pay and tell you which dirt pile to drop it off at in a minute.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Construction Zone reduced to single lane.

5AM - Nobody even shuts the Cruise off

5PM -OMG We just couldn't Possibly do this safely at over 15!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Had the strangest WTF moment a little earlier. I was out back in the "courtyard" and, out of the corner of my eye, saw a bird fly past. Then I heard KAPOW. Looked over in time to see the bird falling to the concrete like a sack of wet noodles. Stupid thing flew full speed, straight into the gable end of the back garage. It layed there a few seconds (I thought it was dead), then it got up, shook it's head a couple times and flew away. No idea what kind of bird it was. About the size of a crow but brown, with a tan belly and brown tigerish looking stripes on it's chest. I know birds fly into windows but this is a big grey wall you can't miss. Yeah this isn't a rant or a rave but,,,,,,,,,,,deal with it, lol.

United States
    Thanks
    Neither rant nor rave but good a place as any for this.

On the way home from work earlier, I made the left off Foxglove Road (which means nothing to most anyone here, lol) onto a frontage road along I-39, about 3 miles from home, came around a curve and there sat 4 squad cars with the red and blues on. Three County and one State. Off to side was an early 2000's Cavalier with both doors and the trunk open. One officer by each door, one looking into the trunk. Another had a young guy wearing bracelets against the side of a squad. First thing that came to mind was one of the officers saying "boy,,,,,,,you're in a whole HEAP of trouble" No idea what or why but I would suspect drugs or something like that. I have no tolerance for losers like that. With all the officers, he sure didn't get pulled over for going 40 in the 35 zone. Besides, where this was is a VERY lightly travelled road (like 50 vehicles per day) and I have never, ever seen a squad car anywhere near there, especially a State Trooper. Cuff him and stuff him, as Roscoe P. Coltraine used to say.
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-02-2021 at 07:14 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Rave: The landscapers came and got rid of all the wood chunks, shards, roots and chips from those god awful poplar trees I had cut down, rototlled where the stumps were ground out, leveled it off and filled it in with fresh dirt. They did a nice job. Now, a little grass seed and drag the sprinklers out, and it'll be good to go. Looks way better with just bare dirt vs the post stump grinding appearance (see photos 6 posts up).

Rave #2: As of 45 minutes ago, I am officially on vacation until Monday the 26th! Man, do I ever need it too. I want to get a bunch of things done around here but think I'll take one day and just do absolutely nothing. That's the plan anyways. Reality is, I'll do nothing for a for one morning and then get antsy and have to go do something, lol. Technically I don't start vacation until 4:30 (our quitting time) but I got out early. No small jobs to do or coming in this afternoon and starting in on an engine replacement or heater core in a RAM 1500 (for example) wasn't an option so,,,,,,,,,,HOME!
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-16-2021 at 03:02 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Rant or just an observation? So many of the auto manufactures have ads that talk up how safe their cars and trucks are but then they do things that make them bad as ever. Certain ones rely on a touch screen for almost every function. Instead of reaching over and, by feel, changing the climate control temp, mode or fan speed you 1st have to LOOK at a screen. Then you select the proper function icon which brings up all the controls or in some cases, a sub-menu that you have to select from first. Then, while still looking at the screen, you have to find what you want to change and keep looking while you change it. In the meantime, you've run a red light, or smashed into a bridge pier. Change the radio station? Select the radio function, then select the sub-menu for the function you want to change, then change what you need to and all the while, your eyes are off the road. THEN, they make so many vehicles that are about impossible to see out of. Pillars the size of a Greek temple, rear seat headrests that block 3/4 of the rear window. Basically blind spots for days. I guess it's why they feel the need for 800 air bags, anti-lock brakes, collision avoidance systems, etc. Kind of silly if you ask me. No wonder new vehicles are ridiculously expensive. Makes it even worse if the driver of that car or truck can't seem to put their stupid cell phone away while driving. Come to think of it, this is a rant, isn't it?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (07-19-2021)