Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

United States
    Thanks
    I refused to get a cell phone for the longest time but since I had to drive a long way back and forth to work I relented. I now only have a cell and it is a flip phone.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I always had to have the latest too, then as soon as I would buy something else would come out. Then I have a good "friend" who would as soon as I got an 80"TV, would get an 81". Friends.....

Now I do not even attempt to keep up. If I have something and it works, it will serve me well until it kicks the bucket.

Ever notice with iPhones the battery would die just as the next generation phone hits the market....

United States
    Thanks
    And they called me abacus boy! You are the reining champion, I'll happily take second place.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    One advantage to not having the world in my hand, I can actually do math without a calculator. Not sure if advantage is the right term but I think some people couldn't find the sum of 2+2 without their "phone", seriously.

First a rave. So far this winter, it hasn't been too bad for the most part. Very little snow with the heaviest storm being barely 2" and high temps in the upper 20's/lower 30's and lows in the teens or 20's. The coming week is going to be no different until.....................Now for the rant. Friday highs in the teens and next weekend, highs in the single digits, lows -10 or lower. Sigh............Well, guess we knew it couldn't last forever. Only hope the deep freeze is short lived, HOPE.

Ran across some data from the early '90's and the winter of doom. There was a two week stretch in January where the WARMEST day got up to -20 and half a dozen days never got above -30 (with lows of -35 to -45) and that's without factoring in the windchill, which was touching -80 at times. F*** me, lol! I still remember it vividly, but not fondly. It was so cold for so long there were water mains freezing that were 8 feet deep underground. Every water dept. in the metro area told everybody to leave a faucet trickling 24 hours a day to help prevent mains, and especially laterals to the houses (and pipes inside the house), from freezing solid. At long last, a day came where it got all the way up to zero and it actually felt warm, which sounds strange but it was true! Hope that type of thing never ever happens again,,,,,,,,,,,EVER. Thinking back on that, I guess single digit above zero highs aren't that bad because it could be worse, WAY worse.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That was a rough winter. My University was the only one in Michigan that didn't cancel classes so I got to go out in it a lot. I'm glad I didn't have a car to maintain thru that.

United States
    Thanks
    Stay safe. It has only been cold around here.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    That was a rough winter. My University was the only one in Michigan that didn't cancel classes so I got to go out in it a lot. I'm glad I didn't have a car to maintain thru that.
    You remember that one also? Pretty sure it was 1994. Had to be the absolute worst it ever was in the 45 years I've lived here. Hopefully it will never get like that again. When the furnace has to run almost continuously to keep the house warm, it's not a good thing.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Definite rave. I love when the weather forecast is wrong, in the good direction. Last week it said Friday would be 15 and this weekend only single digits for highs. Well,,,,,,,,,Friday was 34 and this morning at 3:30am it's 33 degrees out. Then, even Thursday morning they were saying "3-5" of snow beginning around 3pm". At 3pm there was nothing. At 6 pm it was raining and overnight we got roughly 1/2"-1" of what I'd call slush which all melted before noon Friday. Gotta love it! Only problem with the slush is, it was like driving to work on grease

United States
    Thanks
    Heat wave! You better get out there and cut the grass!

I think I'll take the Dodge out for a spin tomorrow.....

United States
    Thanks
    Appears the "heat wave" is over, at least for a few days.
    Last edited by aspen79; 4 Days Ago at 06:44 PM.