Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't sink a shovel on this property without coming up with evidence of past occupation. Bits of three building foundations when I put the pole barn in, plus the corn crib that was still standing gave me a lot of flat stone to build terraced gardens for my wife. A few years ago the farmer was deep chiseling the field behind us to drag some sand up into the thick black topsoil for better drainage and hit something big. I watched as a huge set of rocks with their mortar still holding became temporarily visible and shoved back under. Oh man, the way that chisel plow jumped he had to have torn up a whole section of it, but he kept on going. So there must have been yet another barn back behind my property 100 years ago. The ash pile and horsehoes tell me which one was the blacksmith building. The cow barn was pretty unmistakable by the smell of it's river rock flooring. Old door trolleys tools and other metal debris everywhere in the top foot or so of soil. An old brick walkway about 10" down under the grass today. Pottery and glass shards. Even dug up the remains of an old leather shoe one time. That was about as exciting as finding a 70's Camaro axle buried. Or maybe the Camaro axle was as interesting as when I found the old outhouse rocks in the path of my gas line I was installing. Lol!

My shed is an old 8x16 Mazak shipping crate that I put a single pitch roof over and door on the end. The floor is old oak rafters that were too hard to nail into from redoing the roof of another local house. I've had woodchucks and possums get under it from time to time.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My shed is stick built and I may have gone overboard with 2x6 roof joists and rafters, hurricane ties, metal corner brackets, all screwed together with deck screws,,,,,,,,,,It'll survive a tornado I think, lol.

At least I know the dead stinky animal isn't IN the shed. After the door is open a while, the smell isn't that much inside but,,,,,,earlier today I was spraying for weeds and came around the back corner of the fence next to the shed and,,,,,,,,,,,,,holy STINK Batman! I looked around and didn't see anything obvious so it must be underneath or hiding where I can't see. Please,,,rot away quick! Man it reeks.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Rant: Rain...………………….Need I say more?
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I've only gotten the Doba out this year even for all the rain. Candy Corn is Still in hibernation. But for good reason. Too much going on in the garage to leave the Doba inside where it would just get dirty, which would be the same for CC if I moved her over too. So just the Doba sits right outside the door getting rained on daily now. Ugh. At least CC is dry. But it sure would be nice to go for a cruise with the tops out between the rains. Go fast enough and the humidity isn't half bad. I've changed so many soaking wet with sweat shirts and pants mid day the past several days for the humidity. This year sucks.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My area has had rain, rain, rain but I think it is starting to break a little. Next ten days barely any chance of rain but the normal chance of 15-20% because of very hot (in the 90's) summer days with high humidity.
    Last edited by Mopars1; 07-07-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Humidity here is about 200% LOL Can`t walk outside without sweat rolling down my forehead.

United States
    Thanks
    Aside from when it's raining. which is way to often, we haven't really had any what you'd call bad humid days. Maybe one or two but even then the daytime humidity was only like 60-70%. Usually (thankfully!) it's like today. Right now the humidity is 28% and that would be called a rave.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I attended a car cruise yesterday late afternoon into the evening. I took a walk to look at the different cars that came along with the normal ones. I was not exerting myself at all and in 10-15 minutes I was soaking wet. Did I say it was hot and humid? That was very uncomfortable for me. I hate days like that.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    Reminds me of one time I was dumb enough to go to Florida at the end of September. I wasn't even in south Florida, this was Sarasota about half way don on the Gulf side. When I walked out of the airport, I just about passed out, like hitting a wall. The guy at the rental agency said it had cooled off a lot since August. You mean it gets worse? Sitting in the shade, not even moving, you'd have sweat running. Between 10am and 3 pm, you couldn't even stand to be in the sun, and barely stand being in the shade. I spent way too much time indoors, which I could have done right here (to stay warm) at home for free. I swear, the humidity was 100% at all times, no idea what the actual air temp was. Every afternoon at 4pm like clockwork, a massive t-storm would roll through and dump seemingly a foot of rain and blow your eardrums out with thunder, then 20 minutes later the sun would come back out and it would get even more humid. Never again, lol!

United States
    Thanks
    LMAO! You'd hate Ohio just as much then! Me n Metzler flew into Orlando to rent a box truck and fill it with parts coming back to Ohio to find weather like that last June. It rained the whole 75 miles that the plane taxi'd to the terminal, quit long enough to meet our ride, then again for the 45 minutes ten mile ride to the rental, and finally quit. It was hot and humid but really not any worse than here at home in the Ohio Valley. If you've ever driven into the Ohio Valley from the west you see the sky and feel the air thicken immensely as you cross Illinois leaving the big sky country behind. Your sinuses hate it, your ears hate it, even breathing the thicker air is different. Down at sea level in Florida isn't really so much different than only 600 feet up in Ohio. We were sweating balls all hung over and still laughing while chasing little lizards out of our parts by 8am the next day. Ended up bringing a few back anyhow. But while we were accustomed to their summer weather not being so different from ours we were smart about one thing. For what airlines want to check a bag you can just go to Walmart and buy changes of clothes and socks. If we hadn't driven home, we could have just left them behind and not lost a dime on the baggage charges. But it was hot, humid as hell, and sunny for our whole loading day. Just low 90's like home. By the time we were pulling out at 8:30 that night the storm chased us half way up I-75 to Georgia. Man it's a long haul to Atlanta! It's like at that point it's just a bit to Tennessee and easy travels home. Florida isn't bad compared to here, but it's not some place I'd retire to and miss the snow also. You can dress for cold, but at some point find yourself wanting to hide from heat unless there's something important needing done.

It's been worse than Florida my past three mornings here despite getting up in the attic at 9am. I ran trunk lines up there for three circuits a decade ago but more than basic services were never important until now as the kid's electrical needs require all outlets functional up there. So I jumped into two of my main boxes and hammered in a few more along the way as I added power to 9 more outlets in 3 rooms. Yeah, I'm slow. Could have Not needed a rag to dry my hands and brow constantly and done that comfortably any winter day for many years now. But 2 of the 3 rooms are finished electrically now and if I'd have done the work of completing them before I'd have had no idea how to balance the load and just accepted extra billing rather than go up and swap things around in this heat.

So yeah, there's a method to the madness even in procrastination!
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 07-07-2019 at 06:20 PM.
    Volare Magnet