Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Ranting and Raving

I'm making this post basically just to share whatever we are thinking today. No rhyme or reason, just what's on your mind.

So I'll start with knowing we all hate when a tool gets misplaced or worse yet, worn out or broken. I tend to buy two of most things. Because as hard as I try, I will stupidly set one down someplace it doesn't belong and don't feel like looking for it just that minute. And if I do break it, it's not the end of the project for an hour while I run to town, if I had an hour to spare even. So when something I don't have two of gets misplaced, that really peeves me off. I try so hard not to do that. Not just where did I set it down, where the hell did it go? I've looked all over this place all week! Sure I've got Three other tools that could do the job, and I used one at the time and even put it away where it belongs promptly. But WHERE IS IT? So the tool in question this week is a lineman pliers with wire stripper. Alright, yeah, surely we all have wire strippers and cutters, but I like that particular one and wanted to use it and it's gone. So I figured that I'd buy a 2nd pair in town yesterday. I goes to Menard's and they've got lineman pliers in the tool department. Half way across the store they've got strippers in electrical. But no combo tool? What is this crap? So's I goes over to Home DePotty. Same Deal! WHAT? You must be kidding me. Now I have to buy two different tools? There's no combination tool? Well, I'm going across the street to Walmart. I bet they have something since these jokers don't. Aaand it's the same deal over there too. Now I'm really ticked. So my pliers are gone and I can't seem to replace them until they decide to claim their win at the hide and seek game. So I guess I'll try Harbor Freight after work tomorrow since that's way over the other direction and I'm not going anywhere near there unless I actually have to. I make that stupid drive five days a week, not doing it on a weekend too. Has anybody seen where I laid those stupid pliers?
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    You`ll find them when you don`t need them. That`s the rule. LOL My biggest problem is putting something away in a special place so it doesn`t get misplaced or lost then I forget where that was.
    I still remember about the time some years ago that I thought I was doing my father inlaw a big favor by cleaning up the rats nest of a garage he owned. I organized and clean up everything. When he saw it I thought he would be elated. Well not so much, he was pissed because he said now he wasn`t going to be able to find anything. So much for my good deed.
    On another note, I am still pissed about me leaving my favorite Snap ON ratcheting screwdriver on my open tailgate of my truck and driving away. I walked up and down the street thinking I would find it but no such luck.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 05-12-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    What happens to me is, I'll be using a tool and next thing I know, where did it go? I JUST had it in my hand.

How about when you drop a fastener on the floor and it just vanishes? It didn't go flying, it didn't fall into somewhere, it just dropped straight down. Search everywhere and never find it. My theory is it must be a space/time portal and it gets sucked through a wormhole to another dimension. It has to be!

On the other hand, sometimes when you drop a fastener it WILL find a drain pan full of an oil/coolant mix. Doesn't matter if it's under the work area or at the other end of the car, it will go in the pan. Had one time where the pan was under my toolbox, a nut flew out of a socket, bounced once and went perfectly through the one inch gap between the bottom of the roll cabinet and the pan. Couldn't do it again if I tried.

Worst one ever was a few years ago when I was working on the inside of the house. Was using a tape measure, went to grab a board, came back to where I was working and was going to mark the length on the board. "Where's my tape?" I looked and looked and searched trying to figure out where I set it down. All of a sudden, DOH! I had it in my hand the whole time. Decided to shut it down for the night and go to bed.

I remember one time, still working on the house, I was outside and went in to get something. Step through the door and "what did I come in here for?" Went back out and "oh yeah". Through the door and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,forgot again. Did the exact same thing 6 times before I got what I was after. Again, time to shut it down for the night, lol.

Wearing bifocals I find when working under a dash, in a wheelwell, etc. I'm too far away for the close part of the lens and too close for the distant part of the lens. Nothing but a blur either way. Frustrating as all hell I must say. It must have been so awesome back when I could see!

What the heck, one more. No matter where I put the light, what I'm trying to light up is in the shadow. If I do get the light to shine where I need it, soon as I stick my hands in to do the job, they block the light and it's still pitch black where I'm trying to see. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Guess that's why they're called trouble lights, Nothing but trouble.
    Last edited by aspen79; 05-12-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    HA! Yeah! It's in your hand dummy! You don't know how often I mutter that to myself. It's in your pocket, behind your ear, clipped on your belt. Oh yeah... I know that one well.
    And man, on the glasses thing. First time they forced em on me I sent em back. There wasn't anything wrong with my old ones except they were old and scratched. Oh but they can't give me that same prescription. No, now I have to have bifocals. I tell em if that's how it's gota be make em focus at 32" so I can see what I'm working with. What do they make? 6". So I've got everybody in the office giggling and smirking when I try them on and complain. Six inches from my nose? I can practically taste it from there! Is this what you expect from older people, we're like toddlers? Gota stick it in our mouth to figure out what it is? Nope. No thank you. Make em right. I want them at 32". So they come back with 18" a couple weeks later. Great. I can see my elbow then nothing til it's almost double out of reach. Spectacular. I was so looking forward to getting back to building model cars, but now I'm just pushing the glasses down for whatever I do cuz my own eyes see better fuzziness than their lenses at a convenient distance. Of course the good optometrist I used to see no longer takes my insurance. I'm not sure if I should dislike him for thinking he's worth all that or the insurance company for trying to beat him down til he dropped them.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    But I did make a friend over the weekend. Between the rains. Wife wants a new tree near the base of this formerly 60 plus inch wide maple stump from ten years ago. So I get to digging cuz it's soft finally starting last year, and it's full of Japanese beetle grubs now. Just the stuff near the surface tho. It all broke away like sponge to reveal huge solid roots I need gone. So I've got this big hole going and sacrificing a chain saw chain to the project. And forgot my kid cracked the sledge handle last fall, so eventually I broke that. But there's this Robin popping around awful close. Strange. Then I catch him snitching a grub. Oh! Now I get it. So next time he's near I flip one at him with the shovel. He flies off to a bush, but then comes back for it and back to the bush. So I flip him another and he's on it! Hmm... so I start spreading the grubby spongy mess and dirt out and take another break in the house. Wow! I didn't know they could eat 50x their body weight! Pretty soon he's got his lady with him too! After that I spent the rest of the weekend flipping up more grubs and he'd just sit there nearby waiting for them, even in the rain. A racoon dug thru it all overnight, but I went deeper yesterday another got my little bird friend plenty more.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I wish I had birds eating grubs. In my yard, it's the smelly, stinky, yard wrecking skunk(s). I think one is living under my shed. It smells REALLY bad in there (wood plank floor, a foot off the ground). I thought rabbits smelled bad, lol! Use to have rabbits living under the shed.

I've got a rant for you. Last week, at work, I looked at a '99 DeVille that the charging system doesn't work on. Did all the usual stuff, check wiring, voltage tests, wire to the PCM, etc, etc, etc. Decided (along with the service manual), it has to be the alternator. Change the alternator this morning, which is no small task on one of those POS cars (about a 3-4 hour job which includes removing the radiator/condensor assy among other things). All back together and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not charging. What did I miss? Go back and redo all the tests, and found nothing. Took the old alternator across the lot to Advance and put it on the testing machine. Charges fine. WTF???????????????? Me, and the other guys in the shop, are at a loss. It SHOULD work, there's no reason it shouldn't, but it doesn't. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Besides that, the car still needs brake lines (rotted out and it has no brakes), the exhaust is broken off behind the rear catalyst, and I could go on. It's an ongoing project so back out it went so I could get some "real" work done. Maybe it needs a laying of the hands and possibly an exorcism to make the charging system function. Worst part is, it's obvious this problem had been worked on before. Not that it's cobbled, whoever did it, did a good job but they probably said UNCLE and gave up. I hate when I get ones like this in my stall.

Could be the color of the car? It's kind of a pink pearl sort of deal that makes my teeth hurt to look at it. Yikes!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a little rant about the local roads. They have these signs all over. They are eight sided and red. They're called "Wait signs". Grrr.

United States
    Thanks
    Is that where you wait for the driver ahead of you to finish texting and drive off so you can go?

FOUND MY PLIERS! Knew I'd seen them someplace but still not sure why they were in the house under my parts notebook. But I was so happy to catch the right angle and see the end of a pair of green handles!

In other news, the wife's cheap Chinese front rotors went to crap over the winter. How steel that's constantly being rubbed on get so ugly is beyond me. Back sides of both have about a finger width of useful pad surface left. So I know what I get to do tonight.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Stacey/sandy's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I thought I had a good motor and trans for my aspen and boy I was wrong after I installed it and bought The parts I needed to Finnish it up the trans started slipping and then the crank went so pull it out and I just Finnish a small block for it I should have it done in a few weeks now.

United States
    Thanks
    I guess this would be considered a rave? Came home from work, BEAT. Thought I couldn't do anything tonight except watch TV through my eyelids. Saw the lawn when I drove in and "it's going to need mowed pretty soon but not tonight" I said to myself. Got something to eat and looked at the forecast,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,guess I should force myself to do at least the front since it may not be possible the next 3 or 4 days (rain). Funny how after doing 3/4 of the front, the old second wind kicks in. Ended up getting probably 2/3 of the yard finsihed. What's left is the BACK back yard and it doesn't grow quite as fast and plus, nobody can see it . It's a 1/2 acre lot BTW and I do it with a 22" Toro Personal Pace walk behind so it takes more than a few minutes, LOL. Maybe should have just said screw it and kept going and been done with it, I'm thinking now. It's after 8pm though and the sun already set. Too late! Strap a couple flashlights to the deck? Nah,,,,,,,,,,people probably think I'm weird enough already.