Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Personally I've always enjoyed that a stock engine from our era, or a mildly modified one, would always run on pump gas. But you can still always get av gas. I'd imagine there must be an airport closer than 40 miles to you.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Av gas is rated different than "ground" fuel and also formulated for altitude but, a gallon mixed in might do the trick for my engine. There's a municipal airport across the lake from my house and the regional airport is 15 miles south, ironically only a mile or so from work. Getting access at the big airport would be a problem, the municipal,,,,,,,,,,,maybe not so much(?)
    Actually, one of our good customers has a hangar at the big airport (yeah, he's not hurting for money, lol!) and that could be my "in". Hmmmmmm, now the wheels are turning.

As I've mentioned, it's like I need one more octane point on hot days when going up long grades, like the one on the way to and from work which is steep. You go up around 400 feet and back down again in about a mile. Even then, it's not severe detonation but it is there. Otherwise, it's fine.
    Last edited by aspen79; 06-29-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The only octance booster that I used that seem to help was back in the 70`s. It was Moroso octane booster. I `m not sure if they even sell it anymore. Even if it was available the ingredients probably have changed. None of the other stuff I tried since then has worked.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The AVgas will have lead in it. As long as you don't have a CAT or an O2 sensor and no one realizes it's going on the road you should be OK.

United States
    Thanks
    I have an O2 for the A/F ratio gauge but the amount of lead in a gallon shouldn't shorten the life of the O2 all that much. The race fuel I was using also had lead and was for "off-road use only". Haven't looked into it yet but, I'd imagine the race track would have race fuel, at least on race nights/days. The track is only 5 miles away. I guess it isn't so much the loss of a race fuel source as it is that I miss the Petro Mart. It was a good place to go for gas or other things and I knew the clerks and they knew me. Kind of like the 'Cheers' of gas stations.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I try to cultivate such a relationship with all the places I go regularly. The bank tellers all know me by name, parts guys, tasting room, wait staff, etc. It's my little bit in the fight against internet isolation culture. I guess because I grew up in a small town.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I`m a dummy rant. I was replacing a door jamb switch today ( among some other things I planned on working on). Saw a spark when removing and realized i forgot to disconnect the battery. I pulled the switch out and saw the dome light was out. I plugged the wires on to the new switch . No dome light. Hmm.. I started looking for a blown fuse. I pulled all out one by one since my old eyes couldn`t see very well to check them. Hmm no blown fuses. Then realized the switch wasn`t grounded. Screwed the switch back in and all was well. Put all my tools away and called it a day.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    I`m a dummy rant. I was replacing a door jamb switch today ( among some other things I planned on working on). Saw a spark when removing and realized i forgot to disconnect the battery. I pulled the switch out and saw the dome light was out. I plugged the wires on to the new switch . No dome light. Hmm.. I started looking for a blown fuse. I pulled all out one by one since my old eyes couldn`t see very well to check them. Hmm no blown fuses. Then realized the switch wasn`t grounded. Screwed the switch back in and all was well. Put all my tools away and called it a day.

Been there...……………………... Oh and, not being able to see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yep. Thought I was going to lose my mind today, changing valves in a 2.4 Ecotec that had a SLIGHT timing chain failure and then the valves and pistons try to occupy the same space at the same time. Tiny valve stem, itsy-bitsy locks, 55 year old eyes,,,,,,,,frustrating is the nice way to describe it.
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-01-2019 at 05:30 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the whole can't see thing has been bothering me so I finally went to the eye Dr despite not being in my "benefit period". $355 for the exam and new glasses but this guy is worth it. My eyesight has declined too much in the years since when my insurance didn't dictate the provider as being the shipshow at SVS. Now I can finally see this guy again, but not until the period renews from my last use. I'm not waiting around for that. There's things I've put off too long because I just can't see well enough to do them. Like my biggest regret currently of not being able to complete my 1/25 - 1/24 combo Aspen / Volare station wagon. I got to doing fitment of the parts I cast and couldn't see well enough to do such detail work even after buying a magnifying stand lamp. The modelling bench is covered with dusty crap including the Dremel work station I bought and combined with a micro X,Y table and vise to turn it all into a micro mill. I pray that I can get back to enjoying the little details of life again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WagonProgress6.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    And I don't like to rant without being thankful for something. I always try to think of something happy too whenever I get agitated. So like ten minutes ago I had a happy moment to Rave about!

There's a real gratification that comes from being able to randomly throw out quotes, either historical or pop culture, and have family respond in kind! Just sent a couple texts to my daughter with a Python quote. She replied with one from Deadpool 2! Too Funny! I love my family! Oh, and there we go... Incredibles 2. Lol!
    Volare Magnet