Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've noticed you don't have to go south very far before you hit a wall of humidity. Could leave here with humidity in the 20-30% range, drive and get to Illinois 3 hours later and poof, 80%. Not saying it doesn't get hot here, I've seen as high as 109 a few years ago BUT the humidity that day was around 18% so, odd as it sounds, it wasn't that bad. I mean, in the sun you could feel your skin cook but in the shade, it was really nice. On the down side, I've also seen temps as low as -38 and windchill low as -70. Take the good with the bad, right?
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-07-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Right now (8:14 pm Central time) I have 86 degrees with a very low for my area 57% humidity. Actually it doesn't feel all that bad outside since the humidity isn't 80% or more.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    Should have kept my mouth shut about not having high humidity here very often. This week, is one of those not very often's, lol. Daytime it's been 60-80%. Yesterday morning around 10am, it was 82,,,,,,,,,,degrees and humidity. Dang. Still, it's a million times better than 15% humidity and -20!

Rant? Sort of, maybe not. If there ever was a time I wished I had an oxy-acetelene torch, it's today. Working on the poor old Dakota and want to take the hitch ball off since it's of no use. Actually, it's only been used it once and after it served it's purpose about 7 years ago, I should have taken it back off. Heated the nut as hot as it's ever going to get with a propane torch (I figured it wouldn't do a darn thing but you gotta try) and didn't even budge. Got a big whopping Snap-On 1/2" impact on it with the air cranked up to max (125psi) and doesn't even wiggle. I've started soaking it with Aero-Kroil and hopefully it will do the job in a couple days of periodic spraying. That stuff has worked magic before and maybe it'll do it again. Stupid salt, stupid rust.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    <rant>The USPS finally un-lost my flip top adapter and got it here today.</rant> <rave>Time to go read the thread and get that thing in. Looks great so far...</rave>

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Rant:
    Another tragic accident in my daily travels yesterday with multiple fatalities. Head on Semi's four lane divided across deep median. Closed the whole thing down for many hours. I did not mind detouring at all and pray for the families of those working men. And while I haven't heard, I surely suspect a local driver caused it and they were all victims as the initiator drove off without a scratch.

Rave:

I know it can't make up for such a tragedy that makes me angry about how bad the drivers are where I must go daily. But I got a seven foot boom sprayer for my 25 gal. tank and am about to go out and hook it up. As soon as I finish modifying the pump bracket to relocate it and accept the new fitting. Now I can spray for the ticks that have bitten both me and a guest from N. Dakota last weekend. Thankfully they weren't spotted deer ticks carrying Lyme. !Rave! But with Monster Mopar a week away and expecting 30 or more to show up afterwards I sure can't have that going on!
    Plus while this totally isn't the place to find much acceptance of it, my Mustang-II project is going well. Sorry guys, but I've become such a purist when it comes to our F-bodies that I needed a break with something that nobody cares about what crazy stuff I do and only applaud changes. I just can't make myself commit to radically customizing an R/T or Roadrunner or something. It's me, really. It's not just you. Lol! An F-body should look like an F-body. But a M-II can look like whatever I want it to and it's all for the better while I enjoy welding up things that don't belong together! I was looking at a variety of cars I've wanted to do radical stuff with when a friend finally connected me with a seller of one of the cars on my list who was selling at below half price for a car in half it's condition. So If you care also have a black and gold 77 Cobra-II. But while my commitment to our F's remains solid I recognized how wrong adding parts from other vehicles and eras would be to one of our cars and need some release from those self imposed restrictions. No idea what the healthy sounding engine even is, flip seller was clueless what he had. Vin doesn't match car and I suspect it's a HiPo but not quite ready to drop the steering rack to remove the starter just to read the casting #'s. He made as much profit as he expected and I got a helluva car so it's whatever it is. It's got a 4spd and posi too. So YES another black and gold car like a few of my F-bodies. My first mod to this thing has been to chop the whole tail panel off below the hatch lip to accept a 70 Mach 1 panel. It's also getting some seriously curvy hips to fit Viper Rubber under the tail courtesy of 71 front fender tops which gives me a use for a 9" Torino axle in fitting that much rubber underneath without an absurd offset rim. And a whole slate of other stuff that will keep me enjoying welding smoke for months to come. It really could have been any car but I'm glad this one from our same overlooked and too often condemned era found me. I'm just having fun with it doing whatever comes to mind and fits an overall pattern.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:48 PM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    As a die hard Mopar guy who owns a Ford ('08 Mustang), I can't say much. It's obviously not a hot rod project, just a really nice summer daily driver that has NEVER been in the salt. Only the second non-Mopar I've ever owned so I didn't lose too many points off my Mopar card. The other was a '76 Ford Elite in the mid-late '80s. What the heck, it was a trade in, 99% rust free, 85,XXX miles and they sold it to me for $200. I'd rally rather have a new Challenger for the summer DD but even the oldest V-6 ones are out of my comfortable price range. They seem to hold their value pretty darn good. The Mustang came along with 61,000 miles, zero rust, mint interior, very well cared for with receipts for at least the past 8 years to prove it, new tires, almost new brakes, etc..........Asking price was $7,295 and I didn't even offer a lower price because the asking price was well below what he could have actually gotten for it. Saw it, drove it, SOLD!

Problem with wanting have a newer DD, if you can call almost 12 years old "new" is, The only thing Chrysler has built in the past 10 years (actually more like 20 years) I would even consider buying is a Challenger. Next best thing was Ford and then the only car I would consider of theirs is a Mustang. Of course there's the Camaro but NO EFFING WAY, LOL. Not for any price.When you want a 2 door, rear wheel drive car, you're choices are far and few between. (Rant).

United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if some people have a death wish. A few days ago, I was on the freeway (not by choice, there was no other choice) and here comes a brain dead moron riding a crotch rocket. No helmet, shorts, tank top and flip-flops. The stupidity of some people is always amazing. To each their own but, WTF?

Counter balance to the rant. Yesterday and today were beautiful. Mostly sunny, high around 80, low humidity, nice gentle breeze, drove the Aspen to work............Ahhhhhhhhh

United States
    Thanks
    Feel the need to rant a bit, again..........Subject: New car dealers. My Mustang has an open recall for the passenger air bag and trying to get it done is irritating me. The local Ford dealer is owned by the same guy that owns half a dozen others in the metro area, including the Audi/VW dealer I worked at from '07-'12. When i got smart and GTFO of that place, I swore I'd never give business to any of his stores (I have my reasons). So,,,,,,,,I thought, try a small town dealer. There's one about 35 miles away so I called to make an appt. and the service advisor says "Let me check when we could have the part and I'll call you back in about 20 minutes and we can make the appt". OK, so I waited and waited and waited. Nothing, no call, zip, nada. OK fine, screw you then. Called a fairly large dealer about 30 miles south. Made an appt and the morning of the appt, I called just to verify the time and that the air bag is in. He puts me on hold a couple minutes and comes back and says "It looks like the air bag never got ordered, we'll get one coming and call you when it comes in to set reschedule the appt". Things happen, parts don't get ordered so I said fine. Well, that was 5 business days ago and,,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing, no call, no email, zip. WTF? I know for a fact, because I worked for new car dealers (first Ford and then Audi) for 30 years, it would be there overnight if ordered in the morning the day before, especially a recall part such as an air bag. I'm beginning to think they never ordered it AGAIN. I'll give one more day and then "screw them". Unfortunately, that means I'll have to try the local dealer that's up on the north side that I swore I'd never go to but I'm running out of options without having to drive 50 miles or something. Really ticks me off because I made the appt with the one dealer for a day I knew I had off from work. Now I can really understand how people hate having to take their car or truck to the dealer for service or a recall.

I'll end with a rave. Tomorrow is going to be sunny, 72, low humidity and light breeze. Sounds to me like a PERFECT day to take the Aspen to work!

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Man that SUCKS! Onto my rant.....I wish like hell that I could get 72 degree weather! I am damn tired of 90+ and high humidity!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T