Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Whether you can use that reducer depends on what primer you're using. It will go fine into any enamel primer. I thought 441-23 was just sealer primer that's compatible to any of those reducers? If you're using Chromabase 4:1 or Chroma Premier using that would be a no-no though. Although I have used 22 at up to 1:1 with the actual stuff with no problems, in the 4:1. It flashes fast but then still takes longer to fully cure without the full amount of it's actual activator. Of course, they can't recommend that. One thing I've learned for certain tho is that if you're using enamel, you can't use any urethane over it, and you can't mix reducers AT ALL between Full Base, Full Thane, or FulCryl II. No NO NOOO!!!! Bad. Very Bad. I was just in there last week for another quart of POR15. Man, I was upset the stuff was $40 last year. Now it's $50! So I guess that's a little Rant for me. Grrrr...
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I got my numbers mixed up. The 441-23 is the primer I'm using, not the reducer. Even with the right reducer number, the one on the primer can isn't what I have. It's says to use 441-60. However,,,,,,,,,,,,,when I went to Advance today, turns out that number is just the low VOC (meaning California) version of the 441-21, which I have. Could have shot primer yesterday after all. Grrrr. Of course, it's rainy and 65 degrees out right now, not good for spraying paint. Plus, I have to take the Aspen out (obviously) to paint in the garage and with the mist/sprinkle/rain, not going to happen. Typical for anything to do with California, it costs twice as much. The "49 state" reducer is $14/qt, the low VOC tree hugger version is $28/qt.
    I'm using the FulCryl II single stage acrylic enamel with 483-11 activator (and 441-21 reducer). Didn't see the need for the extra expense, and time, to do a base/clear on the Dakota event though the factory was base/clear. It is only a winter vehicle now after all. I'm using all the materials from a system, from Nason only, to make sure it's all compatible.
    Previously, I did notice the FulCryl II seems to take an unusual amount of time to dry. I used the ratio that's shown on the label and it was still a long time before it was dust free and a good three days before it was fingerprint proof, and at least a week before it could be safely wet sanded and buffed. Maybe a small consequence with the low price. As I said, winter vehicle, not a restoration, lol!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Should be fine. Maybe you skimped just a bit on the activator last time? I run it a little heavy. bottom of the concave center at measurement plus a little splash. Don't like the Ful-Thane at all. Lady at the store calls the Full Base, tractor paint. Lol! Works fine for me!
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 08-26-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: EDIT: Same stupid weather here now that my rear axle is dry from etching for POR.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Maybe this time I'll mix the activator a little "rich", by just a little bit in the interest of saving some time and,,,,,,hopefully it'll be dust free quicker.

Since this is rants and raves, a small rant: Think it could a little friggin' windier today? I mean really..............(25-30 constant, gusting to 40 mph)
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I live in one of those weird places where it's gota do that to notice it. Except in the dead of summer we get 10 and gusting 15-25 all day every day. Except for right now. 7pm. It's almost stopped and will be by 7:30 for about the next two hours, sometimes three. Don't ask me, it's weird. I knew a guy who lived in a spot like this about 30 miles from here long ago. The topography was right that he always had a good breeze and any storm system amplified it. I didn't know to ask back then if there was a specific time of day the wind would just quit. Even stranger here is that it's always gusting at ground level but 50 feet up or more there's actually little. So many times I get a kite out thinking it's a good day for this one or that one depending on it's tail length and weight. Only to find out that as usual, there's nothing up at the tree tops to keep it in the air. Down here tho, it will twist my flag in a loop somehow too.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Rant again...……..Could do with less wind again today. Actually, it's worse than yesterday since it's only 58 bleeping degrees out. Oh yeah, one other thing. It's WAY too early for the leaves to be changing and starting to fall off. My yard is covered with yellow leaves already from my poplar trees along the property lines. I see red and orange in trees on the way to work and it's kind of depressing. It is August yet, right?????????? Rant, grumble, complain, whine, moan.
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-28-2019 at 05:39 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    How about a rave for once? Not only is tomorrow Friday, it's Friday before a 3 day weekend. It's not only a Friday before a 3 day weekend, it's also a payday Friday (we get paid every other week). To really top it off, the boss said were going to try and be out of there by noon to start the weekend early(!) To really REALLY top it off, it's supposed to be sunny and mid 70's for a high. Ahhhhhh, life is good

United States
    Thanks
    Well, maybe I should give up on ever getting the air bag recall done on my Mustang. Called the Ford dealer on the north side a while ago. Of course I had to "leave a message" and they would call back before the end of the business day (which says 5:30 on their website). Nothing, nada, zilch. Phone never rang and I had it with me the whole time (cordless land line). I frigging give up. Let Ford keep sending me reminder cards, I tried. What, am I on some kind of black list or something? I'm very understanding and know things happen beyond anyone's control but after multiple tries at multiple dealerships, I'm done. Screw it. Almost tempted to just buy an airbag and replace it myself. It's not that difficult, I've done it hundreds of times since air bags came out 30 years ago. Flip the glove box down, unplug two connectors, remove two bolts and drop it out and then reverse procedure. Rant, rant, rant......................................Wonder why new car dealerships get such a bad name with people.

United States
    Thanks
    I don't know if this would be called a rant. I'm talking about stupidity in automotive engineering. At work I'm a little more than half way through replacing the water pump on a 2003 Suzuki XL-7 with a 2.7L DOHC V-6. Instead of designing the timing chain cover to dip down in the center and go UNDER the pump, they stick the pump through the cover. It runs off a regular ribbed belt and not the timing chain. It bolts to the block and the chain cover has a hole that an o-ring seals arond the pump housing (for oil). You have to remove the intake, which is a CF (you figure out what those letters stand for, lol) and is a 2 1/2 hour job. Then the valve covers, fan and shroud of course, radiator and a bunch of other misc. pieces. Then you remove 24 bolts and finally, the chain cover. Once there, it's 4 bolts and pull the pump out. The estimate guide shows 14.5 hours (even factory warranty time says 8.1hrs) for this job and it's going to take close to that. The intake is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. You can't remove as an assy., you have to disassemble it piece by piece so you can get to the bolts that attach it to the heads. Some bolts come in from the back, about 2" from the firewall. Anyways, stupidity in automotive design at it's best. Suzuki...........They should have stuck to building motorcycles. Maybe wouldn't bother me AS much except right before starting on the Suzuki this morning, I finished up replacing the clutch on a 2013 Audi A5 Quattro and, it was very obvious it was pure German over engineering at it's finest. It's going to be a nice break after the Suzuki is done though. Nice, normal, logical, head gasket job on a 2010 Malibu with a 3.5L and also waiting out back is a 2012 GMC Acadia 3.6L for timing chains after the Malibu. About time we get some normal stuff in the shop!

Looks like this under the hood:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suzuki.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 09-05-2019 at 08:24 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Rave; There are people out there who can be paid to deal with the fact that today's engineers are willfully ignorant of an ability to create simplified complex products. I don't think I could deal with it myself. It sounds like playing with Legos. I need this part from the middle, but there are 15 other parts globbed on that have to be removed to reach it. Could have made it with four big ones, but no, it's fifteen little pieces of crap. I duno if that's a good Rave, but just take my money. Lol!
    Volare Magnet