Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Your a better man than me. I couldn`t deal with working on some of this new stuff. It is just crazy. I cuss just working on my wifes VW.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Can't blame you for cussing when working on a VW! lol Yes I know, it's my job and I do it the best I can. The Suzuki didn't really bother me, just thought the design was ridiculous. Been doing this for 35 years and the more things change, the more they stay the same in automotive engineering.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    About time we get some normal stuff in the shop!
    I should bring my Aspen up to you to replace the clutch assembly and flywheel. You might feel like your on vacation.

United States
    Thanks
    That would be way too easy. I'd think something was wrong, lol!

Not really a rant, more of a WTF? We've got a 2015 Chevy G1500 cutaway van at the shop that needs a BCM (Body Control Module). So what, you ask. Not available. Discontinued from GM (technically back order with no predicted date, could be into next summer before they make them again), no aftermarket and, it's a module that gets programmed to the vehicle. Once it's programmed to a specific VIN, it can't be reprogrammed to work on a different vehicle which means,,,,,a used one is out of the question. Barely 5 years old and parts not available. Seriously??????????????? With a dead BCM, the van is basically scrap metal. The BCM is the "man in charge". Without it, the engine won't start (won't even crank), no lights, no gauges, nothing. Since it's also the gateway module where the high and low speed LAN are generated and all data to and from the other modules goes through the BCM (also the gateway module remember) , no communication with any other module in the van. So there it sits with no way to fix it. It's just stupid.
    Last edited by aspen79; 09-19-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Is there not companies around that can test and repair the module that failed? For industrial equipment when a module or controller fails and is no longer available we send it out and have it repaired.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm sure GM won't release any technical data on the BCM so sure a shop could fix it after doing a complete (probably hostile) reverse engineer of it and then fix it. It is typical for them to grind off the chip ID info, encrypt the ROM, and embed the entire thing in epoxy to prevent analysis. I know a development shop that could probably get that done in a few months for about $40,000 in labor if they were provided with a few working examples that they could destroy in the process.

I think it would be reasonable for the van customer to get in touch with Steve Lehto or similar and form a class action. The car companies are building these kinds of technology bombs into cars these days with a full understanding of how they are screwing the customer.

United States
    Thanks
    There are companies that can "rebuild" modules BUT, as doublechaz mentioned, if the processor is fried there's no way to fix it. The programming is licensed and copying it without license would be very expensive if caught. Of course, what programming would they copy if the processor is smoked? We've run into this same problem before, usually on older vehicles (like 15-25 years old). Module long discontinued, nobody can repair it for one reason or another (lack of repiar componant availability, etc) and a search for a used one turns up squat. Years ago, you had to have the exact p/n because they weren't programmable in the field. They were programmed with the data needed when built. Now days, when you buy a module it comes with the generic programming that every vehicle uses and then, you have to download the vehicle specific (meaning that VIN, which also gets programmed in) coding from the manufacturer, using a pass through device, a laptop with the needed programs for each manufacturer, then pay for the coding for that vehicle (there's that licence thing again) and finally down load it to the new module. If the old module was dead, you need to buy a different subscription (usually good for 3 days) to obtain as built data and then,,,,,,,,,,spend anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour typing in each line of code. This also means, in most cases, that module can NEVER be used in any other vehicle because you can't reprogram a module that's already been programmed. Main one is the VIN. If the VIN in every module doesn't match, you're going nowhere Working on the modern automobile is just grand, ain't it?
    Last edited by aspen79; 09-20-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The rant is that they have to go way out of their way to make all those locks.

United States
    Thanks
    It all comes down to software licencing and ownership. Technically, the software installed in a car is not owned by the owner of the car. It's owned by the software company. I TRIED to read the whole deal on things like that and gave up. I'm not a lawyer and trying to understand lawyer speak is impossible. By the 10th "whereas" or "wherefor" it's like, "NOPE, I'm done".

Here's a mild rant. Whoever invented the truck tonneau cover that snaps to the rails needs to be shot. Was out in the garage putting the one back on my '96 Dakota after painting the bed sides and, my fingers are killing me now. Reminded me why I take it off ONLY when absolutely necessary. Obviously, the vinyl is probably shrunk a bit from age but still..........It's the dealer installed cover (in August of '95 according to the paperwork in the glove box)) and it was on the truck when I bought it in May of '98. Looks good yet but dang...........

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I think somebody makes a plastic jaw tool for pulling those suckers so they don't kill your fingers.
    Volare Magnet