Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There probably is something that would make it easier. I've only had the cover off maybe a dozen times in the past 22 years though. The older it gets and,,,,,,,,the older I get, the harder it is to get back on. Maybe it's just the older I get and has nothing to do with the age of the cover, lol.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Is this something in your area too? Old people in 20yr old Buicks. Yesterday I was out and about in the early afternoon and saw a couple LeSabres, about a dozen or more Century's, and at least one Park Ave. All of them were late 90's early 00's cars and Every single driver looked like they'd bought it at their time of retirement. Not one of them was in a hurry to get anywhere at all and every other vehicle on the road recognized this ahead of time. I came up behind one of them at a light where it was the only car in it's lane while five others were lined up in the other lane! Then I became the third car in the other lane to get around that old Buick by taking advantage of somebody too busy texting at the light to move out on green. LOL! Sometimes you just gota figure out that the old guy is at least paying attention, even if he's not in the biggest hurry!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, I see them too but many times the car has a younger person driving like they borrowed the car or it was left to them from a grandparent.

United States
    Thanks
    Of all the cars still on the road from say,,,,,,,,,,1998-2003 in this area, at least half seem to be Buicks LeSabre, Century or Park Avenue. Not sure if the cars were just built better than others or if it's the type of owner that makes them last so long (take better care of them). Eventually the rust gets them all but those appear to rust at a slower rate. Could be like the Firestone ads "same make, same model, same miles, different owners".

At work, I do notice Buick owners are way better at maintaining their cars than the Chevy, Olds, or Pontiac counterparts. They're also much less likely to live with a check engine, ABS or air bag warning light on and have us fix the fault than the others. Off topic sorry, Cadillac's of the era are almost guaranteed to have literally every single system warning light on. It's like the lights prove out at engine start and never shut back off. The Northstar V-8 is also guaranteed to leak oil from every place oil can leak.

Anyways, if it's a multi-lane road, I always try to be in the other lane when there's signal lights. I understand elderly people accelerate and drive slower as a general rule(I've no problem with that) I just try to be patient when behind them and figure I'll be one of them some day, if I last that long. As mentioned, some of those Buick's are driven by younger people, students, etc., simply because you can buy a decent one for under $1,000, or they're hand me downs, and if they've been maintained in the past, have very few problems which would require more money than they have to repair.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    +1 one to all of the Buick talk.

I think the reason they last is they have seen so few miles, but I'm biased against them. My dad had a Regal that required significant service at the dealer 39 times in three years. I think it was the next year that Michigan passed the lemon law.

United States
    Thanks
    I've owned many Buicks in my life. The first being a six year old 80 Regal Ltd when I was 18. It looked like a very nice car. But thank the lord I bought the warranty. It spent 4 months and three weeks of the first six months back at the dealership with engine problems at only 72K miles. Lousy 3.8 non-turbo was always a complete slug of an engine. I repainted the pale ugly yellow with 82 Marigold once it was in proper order again and enjoyed cruising it with the T-tops out for a couple years. Of course by the time it was done with multiple warranty repairs taking weeks at a time, I already also had my first Aspen R/T and then my first Volare Roadrunner with T-tops also. So the Buick barely saw 15Kmiles in over two years of ownership since the others were so much more FUN! It was really just a date night car. Part of what led me to sell it. I mean who needs a slow yellow Buick when you've got an Orange Roadrunner that has all the same features plus rumbling power? I saw that Regal around from time to time for over a decade after that and wouldn't be too surprised if it's still around given the care that future owners took of it also. I completely agree that it's often mostly about ownership that determines a car's longevity. And as long as you weren't in any sort of hurry that Buick was a great car to spend the miles in.

I did also get a shock when I saw a late 90's Olds 88 yesterday. It sure seems that all the Olds Pontiac and Caddy's are long gone now. The Olds just didn't sell much and it's always a bit of a treat to see one still out and about. I recognize that younger buyers beat the Pontiacs down quickly despite their durability. Had many of those myself too, and was never once disappointed by them. I think all total I may have cut up or scrapped two. They were always in a condition for resale despite age. But those Caddy's. UGH! What a bunch of junk! Those seemed to have way too many electrical issues and were all over in junkyards long ago.

I've also noticed the large number of younger people running around in old hand me down cars these days. I blame a lot of that on globalism reducing our standards of living. Back in the 80's I had that practically late model Buick at the house plus a bunch of Mopars in little old ladies garages around town and they were for the most part barely ten years old. All on a pizza delivery guy budget. Sure seems that today you can only afford one car that's twice as old with what should be a better job than that. I don't know how the younger generation gets by when I had a tough time doing it without roommates on the same wages that remain typical today back in the 90's. But I'll keep myself from going off on a political rant here. I've enjoyed the stroll down memory lane being almost a rave, too much...
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Problem is, the price of the used cars. Where we could buy a driveable car for $100 any day of the week (rusty but everything worked). Now I see 20 year old cars with 250,000 miles and they want $1,500 or something and it needs work to be reliable. Now, what $100 in 1982 equals in today's money I don't know but I also know I made a whole $3.10/hr back then and my first full time tech job in 1984 paid a wealth inducing $4.00/hr. Another thing is the cars "we" bought were late '60's to very early '70's and we could fix any part of them at home without a whole lot of trouble. Try that with a 2003 model. What that means is, in most cases they'll have to pay people like me to do any repairs and maintenance on that $1,500 car. Sadly, a lot of the so called younger generation have no urgency to get their first car, or even get a drivers license for that matter. Not all of them are like that but it seems way more now than there was 30 or 40 years ago. I couldn't WAIT until I got my drivers license back in 1980, and the first thing I did was get a job at a grocery store and saved up for a year to buy my first car, the long lost '70 Barracuda Gran Coupe I paid $700 for in 1981, and then,,,,,,,,,,,,,I never had money again, LOL!

United States
    Thanks
    Same rant as every year about this time. Now that the clocks got turned back especially, it gets dark so flippin' early. I mean, it's 4:45 and it's already getting dark. Another month and it'll be pitch black at 4:30. That's when you figure it has to be at least 8pm and you look at the clock and see,,,,,,,,,,,,wtf, it isn't even 6pm yet and you can't keep your eyes open. Sigh.....................................Can't wait to drive to work in the dark at 7am, and then drive home in the dark at 4:30 pm. Better yet is if it's snowing and dark, with on coming traffic. Yee-fricking-ha.

United States
    Thanks
    Oh Yeah... Hate the winter time switch. They could put it on Daylight time and leave it there forever and I'd be happy. There's a bill for Ohio to do it that gets another reading this month. Michigan just missed passing it by one vote I guess. Somebody has to start this ball rolling in the right direction. We sure can't count on anything getting done at the federal level these days. It's all about hatred and distractions from two decades long and continuing overspending putting us deeper in the Red. Anyhow... Yeah the winter time switch Sucks. Most of us are all going to the work in the dark as you say anyhow. What's the point of making it dark early too? My favorite is 6 or more inches of snow and there's one set of tracks been down the middle so far with oncoming. Now we both have to slow way down and jump out of the ruts to cut new paths. At least I'm not driving the old lowered car that had what amounted to a Plow for a front bumper anymore. But I do miss how much fun it was running summer tires on ice! I was thinking of selling it but saw it's barely worth $1,000 now at over 15 yrs old so I'll keep it as a spare. I know lots of people driving cars in that general price range. I saw a report a while back that today's money is worth 1/3 of what it was in 1991, so I guess that's yesterday's $300 car now. Just really ticks me off that wages haven't tripled to accommodate that devaluation. Meanwhile some people who don't recognize how underpaid they actually are in comparison to a time not so long ago, want to argue against wage restructuring the lowest income brackets. At least in today's job market the opportunities are there again and hardly anybody can get away with offering the minimum. It's hard to find people to work for double that. But those of us making double that double should be making at least double that again too. The Boss has never missed a raise in all this time... but I digress.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Rant: Overcast with occasional flurries (plus windy and cold) all day until,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4:15pm when the clouds parted and the sun came out. Yep, just in time to watch set 20 minutes later.