Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The other day I needed my tin snips. After about a half hour of looking every place they could possibly be I went and bought anouther. Walked in the door, went in the garage to the work surface, there they are balanced on an upper rung of the ladder. WTF are they doing there? Best way to locate a lost tool is to buy a replacement. I knew I'd find them right after I got home. I always do.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got "spare" tools at home exactly because of that scenario.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    I'm making this post basically just to share whatever we are thinking today. No rhyme or reason, just what's on your mind.

So I'll start with knowing we all hate when a tool gets misplaced or worse yet, worn out or broken. I tend to buy two of most things. Because as hard as I try, I will stupidly set one down someplace it doesn't belong and don't feel like looking for it just that minute. And if I do break it, it's not the end of the project for an hour while I run to town, if I had an hour to spare even. So when something I don't have two of gets misplaced, that really peeves me off. I try so hard not to do that. Not just where did I set it down, where the hell did it go? I've looked all over this place all week! Sure I've got Three other tools that could do the job, and I used one at the time and even put it away where it belongs promptly. But WHERE IS IT? So the tool in question this week is a lineman pliers with wire stripper. Alright, yeah, surely we all have wire strippers and cutters, but I like that particular one and wanted to use it and it's gone. So I figured that I'd buy a 2nd pair in town yesterday. I goes to Menard's and they've got lineman pliers in the tool department. Half way across the store they've got strippers in electrical. But no combo tool? What is this crap? So's I goes over to Home DePotty. Same Deal! WHAT? You must be kidding me. Now I have to buy two different tools? There's no combination tool? Well, I'm going across the street to Walmart. I bet they have something since these jokers don't. Aaand it's the same deal over there too. Now I'm really ticked. So my pliers are gone and I can't seem to replace them until they decide to claim their win at the hide and seek game. So I guess I'll try Harbor Freight after work tomorrow since that's way over the other direction and I'm not going anywhere near there unless I actually have to. I make that stupid drive five days a week, not doing it on a weekend too. Has anybody seen where I laid those stupid pliers?
    Most of the time if I am looking for a tool or anything else I just had in the last hour or day and I cannot find it after looking all over creation for it, when I finally come across the damn thing I find that I laid something over it and kept it from my view.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I try to keep in mind that life and garage life are a lot alike. It's all about perspective. Often the thing you needed was right under your nose. Sometimes you move up too quickly to see that the path forward is still just below where you've already been.

Anyways my knees still hurt from that brake job the other day and I still haven't torn the mower apart for all it needs done. 25hp 50" 15yr old Huskee. Block has been cracked for a couple years and the oil leak is getting noticeable so I gota weld that up before it scatters. And I just blew the transaxle again. That thing was never really up to heavy work like rolling the lawn after driving the truck across it damp. So we're going down to the frame on both ends again it seems. I've been to this rodeo before tho...
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I've got a rant to get off my chest. It has to do with the quality of aftermarket parts lately. Yesterday I replaced both front wheel bearing/hub assy's on a 2010 Malibu. The ABS wheel speed sensors are part of the hub also. Took the car on a short drive, massive bearing noise gone. So far so good, right? Well, it also needed a fuel pump because the top has a hairline crack (plastic) and is causing a P0442 fault (EVAP very small leak detected). Went to drive the car in this morning to do the fuel pump and,,,,,,,,,,ABS & TC warning lights come on and the center display says "SERVICE ESC", "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL", "SERVICE ABS". WTF. Check codes and C0040, RF speed sensor open circuit. Test the sensor and sure enough, it's open. Get another hub and put it in and all is well.

THEN, I moved on to the fuel pump. Pull the tank, change the pump, put the gas back in (about 1/2 tank) and the gauge reads below 1/4. The level sensor is part of the pump assy. For whatever reason, another pump seems to be unobtanium from Advance or NAPA until next Tuesday. Customer needs the car so, we order a pump from Factory Motor Parts (an A/C Delco pump). FMP is in Appleton about 90-100 miles away but if we order by 10:30 am, the parts will be to the shop around 1:00pm Not only was it the wrong part (not sure what that pump was for), the sender is broken anyways. Son of a...............Ended up putting the old pump back in for now. Next week when the car is back, I get to change the pump again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............................. .............The bearings said Made in China and the pump was Made in Mexico. Junk foreign made parts, especially those made in China. Their motto seems to be "close to fitting in good enough" and "Maybe the part is good, maybe it isn't". In a lot of cases, you have no choice, it's made in China no matter what brand. I can say though, I've seen more and more parts come that say "Made in USA" and hope the trend continues.

Side note: We get a lot of parts for GM from the GM dealer and they say "Made in China". Get Mopar parts from the dealer and a good majority of them say "Made in USA". Guess which brand has a higher rate of parts failure? Yep, GM.
    Last edited by aspen79; 05-17-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    It is pretty sad that a major company like GM would have there parts made in China. That sucks.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    So much of GM's electronics and sensors are made in China and that's why I think they have so many failures of parts that, on other makes, never fail. GM wire harnesses have tags attached saying "Made in China" and guess who has the most problems with wiring? Yep, GM. They have a lot of other parts that when you get a new one, says China on the box. As with electronics, those parts fail while the same parts on other makes rarely, if ever, go bad. You'd think they'd learn at some point. I know, GM bashing but,,,,,,,,,,,,when see those TV ads with the "I switched to Chevy" real people, not actors, I think "you fools, you'll be sorrrrrrrrrrry. ABS problems on GM, an everyday thing. ABS problems on all other makes, very rare. Same with air bag systems, powertrain controls and sensors, timing chains, transmissions, engines, suspension parts, wheel bearings, steering racks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on and on. In other words, GM products are not very good and I think the major reason is the Chinese parts that are just simply crap. On the other hand, they are good for auto technician job security, lol. Unscientific study from one shop but, GM is one step below Nissan for building poor products and Nissan is on the bottom of the Asian makes for quality and reliability.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    A few years ago, the plastic top of the fuel pump module was cracked in my Ram and it drove me crazy trying to find that evap leak. It must be fairly common as I had a friend say the had one like that too. The quality of parts is my biggest complaint. I usually don`t mind doing the job but doing it twice because of crap parts ****** me off.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    So much of GM's electronics and sensors are made in China and that's why I think they have so many failures of parts that, on other makes, never fail. GM wire harnesses have tags attached saying "Made in China" and guess who has the most problems with wiring? Yep, GM. They have a lot of other parts that when you get a new one, says China on the box. As with electronics, those parts fail while the same parts on other makes rarely, if ever, go bad. You'd think they'd learn at some point. I know, GM bashing but,,,,,,,,,,,,when see those TV ads with the "I switched to Chevy" real people, not actors, I think "you fools, you'll be sorrrrrrrrrrry. ABS problems on GM, an everyday thing. ABS problems on all other makes, very rare. Same with air bag systems, powertrain controls and sensors, timing chains, transmissions, engines, suspension parts, wheel bearings, steering racks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on and on. In other words, GM products are not very good and I think the major reason is the Chinese parts that are just simply crap. On the other hand, they are good for auto technician job security, lol. Unscientific study from one shop but, GM is one step below Nissan for building poor products and Nissan is on the bottom of the Asian makes for quality and reliability.
    Now that I think about it going back before I retired from the Dodge dealer I heard their wiring harnesses were made in Taiwan. Sometimes when the harness was bing made and a wire spool ran out in the middle of a run they would tie the wire to a new spool and forget to solder it so down the road you had an open circuit. Luckily it only happened in a blue moon.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    All makes have their "common problems" but GM seems to have nothing but common problems that hardly ever are a problem with any other make whether it's Chrysler, Ford, Toyota, or whatever. The classic example seems to always be Cadillac's when they're a few years old. Seems like more often than not, you get in the car and start it up. All the warning lights in the cluster prove out as normal but almost every one of them stays on. Service Engine Soon, ABS, Airbag system, Check Suspension, Service Traction Control, etc. We repair the ABS on at LEAST 200 GM's for every one of any other make. Same goes for airbags faults and wheel bearings and check engine lights (EVAP faults are a major contributor). We're constantly doing wiring repairs on GM's. For the other makes, hardly ever have to touch a wire harness. As I said before, GM's just aren't very good vehicles. I've done at least 100 timing chain jobs in the past couple years on both the GM 3.6L and the EcoTec, most in the 70,000-100,000 mile range. How many timing chains on the other makes? Could count them on one hand and those had well over 200K on the engine and the failure was just a fluke, not a common problem. Worst is when people know there's a problem (or maybe they don't) and just keep on driving, ignoring the SES light (crank/cam correlation errors) and the rattling noise. Guess what happens if the timing chain(s) come apart? Yep, then the head (or heads on a V-type engine) are coming off and valves are getting replaced and that increases the time, difficulty and cost of the job big time. Oh well, guess that's what I get paid the big bucks for, right? LOL