Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't want to talk about that part. Also, you dang kids, get off my lawn!

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Chaz, get your shields yet? I ordered a set too.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I hear they were delivered at the office today, but I'm at a remote comms site with a generator...

United States
    Thanks
    I got mine today. I believe these may be seconds? The are made by The Right Stuff company. They are thicker then the OE ones which is fine but my stampings are a little rough in some areas. I checked the Right Stuff site and they no longer list the part number. Not sure what to do. They may be the only ones available so i may have to live with it.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 1 Week Ago at 02:58 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess this would be more a rant of the shop I work at than me personally. The EPA in their infinite wisdom thought R134a was "bad for the environment" so now the manufacturers are in the process of switching over to the new R1234yf refrigerant. No big deal right? Well, the machine to recover, test, recharge cost the shop $9,000. Of course you need some R1234yf to put in the machine to begin with. Get this, a 10 lb cylinder of the stuff was $698. Not bad when you consider a 30 lb cylinder of R134a is about $140 (or $46 for 10 lbs). Thank you very much EPA.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 07:09 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    I guess this would be more a rant of the shop I work at than me personally. The EPA in their infinite wisdom thought R134a was "bad for the environment" so now the manufacturers are in the process of switching over to the new R1234yf refrigerant. No big deal right? Well, the machine to recover, test, recharge cost the shop $9,000. Of course you need some R1234yf to put in the machine to begin with. Get this, a 10 lb cylinder of the stuff was $698. Not bad when you consider a 30 lb cylinder of R134a is about $140 (or $46 for 10 lbs). Thank you very much EPA.
    R1234yf refrigerant has been used by FCA since the 2014 models. I have two cars with that refrigerant. I have heard someone is working on making adapters for going back to r134a. On a note if someone does not know, r1234yf is very flammable.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    That's why we decided the cost of buying the equipment could now be justified. The first ones are 5 or more years old and soon, we'll have to discharge a system to repair the A/C, pull the engine, replace a heater core, etc., and if you don't have the equipment, you're dead in the water. Going back to R134a won't work in a R1234yf system without changing a few parts (compressor, expansion valve, etc), plus the 1234 systems have a lower refrigerant capacity and R134a may cool, it won't be cold.

I guess the chances of it happening (a fire) are slim but, having a flammable refrigerant seems kind of like a bad idea. Evaporator leaks into the car, and if the A/F ratio is right, flash fire. It is flammable, not like propane or methane but still.........Not to mention, the R1234yf systems run at a higher pressure. Hopefully the cost for the refrigerant will come down over time. R134a was expensive at first also, although nowhere even close to what the R1234yf is. R12 used to be cheap but now, if you can find any, it's definitely not cheap anymore. We've got a 30 lb unopened cylinder plus whatever there is in the old R12 recovery/charging machine out in the shed and the chance any of it will be used is less than slim to none. Expensive but nothing to use it in.

Why the new stuff? It's more "environMENTALly friendly" which is stupid. Unless it leaks out, and overall the leakage rate for vehicles is very low for all the millions of them in existence, and a refrigerant in a closed system harms nothing. I blame the Europeans, they started this whole R1234yf thing.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 07:56 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post

Why the new stuff? It's more "environMENTALly friendly" which is stupid. Unless it leaks out, and overall the leakage rate for vehicles is very low for all the millions of them in existence, and a refrigerant in a closed system harms nothing. I blame the Europeans, they started this whole R1234yf thing.
    As far as I am concerned and my memory is not the best, as far as R12 being discontinued, in my opinion, was the price was going nowhere and it was so cheap to manufacture the manufacturers got greedy and along with the crazy part that it affected the ozone they put out the 134a and abandoned R12. That part was the worst thing they could have done but you can't change stupid.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    That`s it pretty much as far as anything is concerned nowadays. It is all about the money. All else is secondary.

United States
    Thanks
    Like when software companies stop supporting older systems so you have no real choice but to buy a new computer or computerized equipment. To be honest, I still miss my old XP, much better than the Windows 8.1 I have on this computer which I like WAY better than Windows 10. One of our scanners at work is a Snap-On Modis 10 that's a few years old and they have quit offering updates for it because the software is based on Windows 7 which support has been discontinued on. It still works fine but the newest year installed is 2019 and that's as far as it will ever go. So,,,,,,,,,,the shop is almost forced to buy a new scanner, which we did a couple weeks ago. If you've never checked, scanners are NOT cheap and the monthly updates are nothing to sneeze at either. They can be anywhere from $200 to $1,000 depending on what is in the update. Part of that cost is licensing fees to the software company, blah, blah, blah............. All a cost of doing business I guess, and then some people wonder why it's so expensive to get their car fixed. Rant.