Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    A couple weekends ago a friend wanted to cut up his 4Runner roof rack and modify it into a platform for a fold out tent. So he came over and we cut it up and welded it back together. Trouble was he wanted to do it on the vehicle. Lots of wet towels and such on the roof and things were going well until I dripped a big blob and it went down and stopped on the bare vertical surface of his driver's door glass. And stuck there until the window popped. So, I too, have done a door glass recently. Lucky in my case we hopped over to the u-pcikit and got the piece and everything was solved quick, easy, and for not much money.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    When I go to the doctor about chest pain the doctor always seems to write it off to muscular /skeletal issues. I guess that is the easiest response when they don`t know the problem.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 1 Week Ago at 08:21 AM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh man. Too funny!!! Barefoot in the garage. Or even slippers! I've gone out in my moccasins to get a tool if I needed a particular style item that isn't in my wife's toolbox in the house. But never to work. Thanks for the giggle guys. I'd have never thought to go barefoot out there. Oh, and yeah, she's had her own toolbox in the mud room for at least ten years. Got tired of having to ask me where tools were.

I've had similar experiences with spatter on glass. I remember being in a junkyard that was closing down to crush out 20 years ago. My truck was in the shop so I had a loaner car. Well what better car to actually take back into a junkyard? Owner had given me his gas chop saw and I had to take a couple items loose for him then use for my own stuff. So there I am just cutting away everything that isn't the cosmetic tail of a 59 Chevy when I realized I'd parked the loaner in a direct line with the sparks. Oh man. The driver door glass was almost black with little gobs of imbedded steel! I flicked them out and was really lucky they didn't notice when I took it back. Oh but that was nasty!

Just got the nicest glass I can remember having for an F-body last weekend. Cutting up the 2nd of five I need to get gone this spring. It just came in all beautiful on top and nasty underneath and jumped line cuz the Back window was broken out while interior is perfect. Such a treasure trove of like late model low miles barely used parts where it isn't rusting out from around old patches. It's a really strange mix of WOW! and Ugh, Wow!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    My garage window glass was speckled from grinding metal and not realizing it was doing damage until i was done. I don`t do the bare foot thing outside . You must have a super clean garage. LOL

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The glass in my Mustang was like that when I bought a couple years ago. The windshield was horrible. Driving into the morning sun it was like looking through privacy glass, lol. Oddly though, it was only the windshield and door glass. The 1/4 windows and rear glass are perfect. In my defense, I had a couple of those big blue moving blankets on the garage floor where I was working and,,,,,,,,,my feet were killing me so, shoes off and aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Spending 9-10 hours a day in work boots, walking and standing on concrete takes it's toll. Come summer, I'm barefoot often, as long as I'm on pavement. In the yard, different story. In the house, I'm always barefoot. Of course, the whole house is carpet, except the tile in the bathroom, so to wear shoes just seem wrong.

I'm just glad it was the Mustang glass which is easily obtained vs the Aspen. A one man operation glass company found me a pair of new door windows for the Aspen (back around 2010 or so) and it took him awhile. Seems they weren't exactly a stocking item for the glass warehouses the way it sounded. No idea where they came from except the dates on the boxes were from the late 1980's (think it may have been 1988?). Drop and break one of those and I wouldn't have just sighed, said "just my luck" and then laughed. Have a feeling there would have been some foul language coming out of my mouth, and I don't generally have anger management problems.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    No shoes in the house but I do wear shoes or sandals outside. I learned my lesson about going out with no shoes when I got a piece of metal in my toe and I didn`t know it. My toe looked like I stubbed it until I finally found the metal sticking out of my skin.

United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I know it's not smart to go barefoot in the garage but I do it anyways. All depends, of course, on what I'm doing. Welding or grinding, shoes on only! In the winter I normally don't since the floor is cold (hence the moving blankets) and I wore shoes out TO the garage. In the summer, different story. I would never walk barefoot in the lawn. Too many pokey things, biting things, rabbit poop..............................
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Barefoot in the house the other day and I was able to locate a heavy wire wheel bristle embedded in the carpet. No idea how it got there.

United States
    Thanks
    Yep, had that happen also. How it got where it was, anyone's guess.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Usually they're pricking me when I put one of my flannels back on. But I have a strict policy of shop clothing never making it past the mud room. I leave my moccasins house pants and a sweatshirt there for my return from a day's or an hour's work. And I was a busy boy today. A simple axle swap job necessitated by a bad pinion bearing in the Kansas R/T turned into a whole bunch of work. But I'll update all that in the AM.
    Volare Magnet