Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I've been into the same mess lately too, but on my Mustang-II. You'll be raving about how nice is it to drive it again soon enough though. And then ranting about how the fronts went to crap prematurely like all Chinese and Mexican parts made for everything anymore. My wife has been taking the back way lately because her primary route is under construction. But her primary is just two lane anyhow. I have a few parallel back ways home but for however aggravating the interstate is I keep doing it. My calm is always found at home and the sooner the better. But sometimes if I'm already relaxed after work I'll go ahead and take one of the other ways to just enjoy it. Mostly ever since my eyes started going bad and I can't seem to get a perfect prescription it's all just sort of stressful and I want it over with. That probably sounds weird from somebody with a love of cars to not enjoy driving. There's traffic everywhere around here and the concentration level of any speed just isn't fun anymore. I'll come up on some guy doing 45 in an old truck and even though I completely understand, I just want to get around and get home. But sometimes. Sometimes I can still do it. I'll find myself so chilled on some back road looking out over the cluster of an F-body that I don't even realize I'm the one doing 45. That is the complete opposite of what gave me a love of these cars and I just have to laugh at myself when it happens. Life is a funny ride. And what a long strange trip it's been.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I really hope that road gets paved soon. Usually after tearing it up and laying down a new road bed, it gets left that way to get packed down before the asphalt goes on. As you said, the Interstate has such heavy traffic it gets stressful. Not so bad I guess except when you get some idiot who wants to go faster than everyone else and ef's it all up. Yesterday, as I sat on the off ramp looking over at my house 100 yards away, it really hit home why I avoid the freeway if at all possible. Unfortunately, if I want to get to Weston or Rothschild (for example) on the east side, I have no real choice but the freeways. The other route would take forever and take me right through the most congested parts of the city. Problem is, the whole metro area is divided by a river/lake and they seem to have a great fear about bridges around here (building them I mean). The closest non-freeway bridge to my house is 5 miles northeast and the next one south is way down in Mosinee on the far south side, about 15 miles from home. It's just stupid IMO. The back way home on county highways isn't exactly what you'd call traffic free either but it sure is a whole lot more relaxing and enjoyable to take that way and the majority of traffic is always going the opposite direction. The worst traffic the back way is going through downtown Mosinee and that's only a few minutes of stop and go usually, which is no big deal. When I hear the traffic report on the radio while driving to or from work I'm always glad if I'm on the county highways. I always get a kick out of when they say "No UNEXPECTED issues or delays for your drive home". Doesn't mean there aren't any delays, it just means the delays are no worse than usual, lol!

I'm not really looking forward to driving the pooch of a Dakota again but the choice of getting it back out and taking the freeway to work is an easy one to make.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been very lucky when I worked at the Dodge dealer for over 30 years. When the dealership was downtown I only lived a mile from work. When they built a brand new very nice dealership in the adjoining town I was only two miles from work. The traffic in my two adjoining towns is now horrific because of all the stop lights I am glad I am retired because just to drive through town now boils my blood.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    I wonder how long the rear brakes on the Dakota were bad? I knew something was wrong last winter when the back tires wouldn't stop spinning unless I put it in neutral but didn't really have the time to do anything about it then. The right wheel cylinder had both pistons froze, and the left side only the secondary shoe could work. With everything new and the shoes seated in, it stops MUCH better, especially from higher speeds. Now, if ti wasn't for the lack of HP, we would be all set until they get that darn road paved. Funnily enough, on the way to work Tuesday, it'll be the first time the truck has been on a gravel road in the 21 years I've owned it. Since it came from the city of Chicago, highly doubt it was off pavement the 1st 2 years of it's life either. At one time I would refuse to drive it on gravel but now,,,,,,,,,,,,doesn't bother me too much at all, being the truck is what it is these days.
    Last edited by aspen79; 05-26-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Feel the need to rant a little bit. Today The Eagle's Club is having a car show and guess what? It's cold and damp with off and on rain. The tradition of every show or cruise being rained out continues.................................Grumble, frown, complain, whine.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, we had a car show today and a cruise tonight. Got home about an hour before it started storming lol.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't be so bummed except for at least the past 4 years, seems every single show or cruise that's a reasonable distance away (say like 50 miles or less) has been rained out. If the show is on Sunday, it'll be sunny, warm and dry for days, then be cold and rain all day Sunday. Monday it'll be beautiful out again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. A couple shows had rain dates and they got rained out on the rain date also. The show was yesterday and guess what? Today there's not a cloud in the sky and it's supposed to be 70 degrees and calm later on. Typical...................

On the brighter side of things. Have you ever woken up in the morning thinking it's the wrong day? Got up this morning all convinced it was Monday and started into the usual weekday morning routine but something didn't seem quite right. Imagine the happy look on my face when I realized it was Sunday!

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Haven't even tried to get a car out yet this year. Same story. Rain rain and more rain.

Yesterday was crazy. Fixed the broken mower deck spring by heating and twisting a new loop end where one broke off about 1/2" shorter than it was in mid coil. The additional tension created by that offset that I'd already done the same to the other spring and actually made it work better. No belt slip. Wonder how long this combo will last? Then had to run around at 4" tall because the grass was too high. Then went back around the fastest growing area I'd got done before breaking it before Wednesday's rain at 2.5" A friend in Detroit was warning me how big the storm coming at me was, before I started mowing. The Harleys were fleeing Ohio Bike Week down our road going east ahead of it as I put the mower away. The wind kicked up to a steady 30mph with strong gusts. I thought about getting some more work done in the garage but thankfully decided against that. Torrential rains and very large lightning strikes within a mile of the house. Some the flash was followed nearly immediately with the BOOM. These were House Shaking BOOMS too! It kept coming most of the night and is still spitting and wet right now. There's standing water in the field across the street and out back despite the new tiles put in just a couple years ago. The yard is filled with shredded leaves off the trees but we didn't lose any big limbs and I haven't heard of any more tornadoes. So that's good, but so much for any ideas of getting a car out.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 06-02-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice weather yesterday. Went to two car shows. One rear brake locked up on a quick stop so i will have to investigate the cause. Car ran pretty good but has a slight miss at idle.

United States
    Thanks
    I got a rant to rant about. A couple weeks ago, I put a GM Goodwrench reman 5.3L into an '08 Yukon at work. Today the guy brought it in for a "hot oil odor". Sure enough, friggin' thing is leaking. Leak point? Rear main seal. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The engines come with valve covers, timing cover, valley cover, oil pan, rear main seal, etc... so at least it's nothing I did or didn't do but still.............Get that great GM feeling