Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wana hear a good one? We had a short day Friday so I'm out on the roads way early. I expect it to be a bunch of people in no particular hurry since it isn't shift change. Of course I come up 6th behind somebody going just over the speed limit in the fast lane. Whatever, I've got all afternoon. Just then there's a patrol car in the median on the back side of the bridge we crossed. That was lucky. Wonder of wonders the lead car actually yields the fast lane after and we all speed up some and then every car and truck ahead of me takes the exit on the left! So I'm wide open road going well above the limit when I just turn off the cruise and go a lower speed since that's the traffic I'm in. Oh would you look at that? Another cop! So I just cruise comfortably for about 30 miles to where I need to be. The hated place of crazy town traffic. But it all flows well too. Rather relaxing. A nice cruise to the BMV where I'm going to stand outside the rest of the afternoon waiting my turn. When I get there of course I have to stand outside with my muzzle on while some chatty old guy is with the new this year, check in lady in the lobby. No hurry old guy, at least it's 55 degrees and sunny out here. Sign says max capacity 17 people. So he comes out and I go check in. The lady gives me a number and tells me to go right in to the next room? I go in and except for the 4 ladies inside the place is empty! I don't even get to the front of the social distancing line area and my number is being called. Go up and do my business! No Wait! As I turn to leave the whole room has people at every standing area. There's a lady checking in with the lobby lady. There's 2 more people outside the door. WOW! Timing is Everything! And all because I was resolved to not be in any hurry. Should have bought a Lottery Ticket on the way home. Lol!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Some days are like that, just not enough of them!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I got lucky Saturday and today. Got out and did what I needed to do and go where I needed to go, early in the morning. Back home by 8am and when I looked out the kitchen window yesterday after getting back from my bank, traffic backed all the way up the right lane on the off ramp to Rib Mt. Drive, and as far back on the freeway as I can see from there, due to Servicemaster being in the way, and even the left lane of the ramp was backed up almost to the freeway. Five minutes earlier, I came down the same ramp with nobody in front of, or behind me. To top it off, just as I was coming to the bottom of the ramp, the green right turn arrow came on. As you said, timing is everything! Most of the 8 million stores along Rib Mt. Drive don't open until 8am on Saturday's or Sunday's, except Wally World and Kwik-Trip which are never closed, and a few other random places that open at 6 or 7 am. That's when Rib Mountain Drive becomes Rib Mountain Stop and Go, and stop, and stop, and sit and go, then stop again.............lol.
    Last edited by aspen79; 12-13-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I guess this could be considered a rant of sorts. I'm part way in to changing the starter on a 2017 Ram Promaster City (with 312,000 miles) at work. At this point, I hate Italian's (Fiat), lol.

Remove battery, remove battery tray (a project all unto itself), drain coolant, disconnect heater hoses from water housing on rear of head, disconnect and reposition trans shifter cable. All that to access the upper starter bolt, and even then, it's hardly what you'd call "accessible.

Then, raise vehicle on hoist and remove right side axle shaft assy (remove tire, caliper and bracket, tie rod end from knuckle, rotor, axle nut, strut to knuckle bolts, center axle bearing to engine block bolts, etc), Unhook starter cable and solenoid wire and finally the lower starter bolt. Then twist and turn and flip starter until it fits out the available space between the engine and suspension crossmember. Then reverse procedure with new starter. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, grumble, whine, complain.....................

Guess it could be worse. When I worked at the VW/Audi dealer, I had to change the starter in an '04 W8 Passat (W8 is a V-8 that's the same length as a normal V-6 is). Step one: Lower powertrain from vehicle. Guess the Italian's have nothing on the German's!
    Last edited by aspen79; 12-22-2020 at 06:47 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I truly do not understand why the packaging needs to be so absurdly arranged. It's like different engineering teams have zero communication between each other and as long as a product can be assembled in sub components then put together in the first place, there's absolutely no care about it after that. No care for when a bad batch of components come into the factory, or components aren't available yet the line must continue to run without them to be installed off-line, and require a few or hundreds of vehicles to be serviced before ever being deliverable in the first place, which I would at least think would be a concern to them. Nope, and no concern for after the sale servicing. No concern for the consumer. In a broader sense, I think this is why we're seeing class action lawsuits now. I was just reading about the GM 5.3L truck engine class action earlier this week, "engineered to fail."
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    You know the old saying is that they make them so hard to work on that they HAVE to take them back to the dealer for repairs. BTW, I do work on my new stuff when I am able to( within my limits) but I am glad I don`t have to.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 12-23-2020 at 03:04 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    I shouldn't complain about things like that, it is my job afterall. All a guy can do is just dive in and have at it, keep taking parts off until you get to what you're after but sometime's......................lol

A more appropriate rant would be this. High today was 43, forecast high tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,7. Now THAT is worthy of a rant!
    Last edited by aspen79; 12-23-2020 at 03:36 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    I shouldn't complain about things like that, it is my job afterall. All a guy can do is just dive in and have at it, keep taking parts off until you get to what you're after but sometime's......................lol

A more appropriate rant would be this. High today was 43, forecast high tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,7. Now THAT is worthy of a rant!
    Nobody's "Job" should be entirely and intentionally sabotaged in it's level of difficulty by ignorant and/ or, arrogant fools.

But that second part really got me. I didn't have to work today, just like I won't any other time soon. We finished early this year because the economy is suddenly in the toilet. This would be a good time to quote Hillary Clinton without getting into it. "Elections have Consequences."

So anyhow, there I was out enjoying the sunshine around Noon today when I finally got off my tuckass, and I really wanted to take Candy Corn out for a drive! But I didn't want to do it without my wife who still had to work today thankfully for her, and us.

So I ran to the dump, and then went out shopping for a few small things that still totalled over $100, because, doesn't EVERY trip off the property cost $100 anymore(?), with all the other insaniacs and by the time Mama got off work the clouds were rolling in. It was still at 52 from an earlier high but they say rain is coming in tonight and by Christmas we can expect a high of 20. Which sucks cuz if I'd had a mind to just go on my own, I could have enjoyed a nice cruise today instead of doing what needed to be done.

But does anything really "need" to be done in the next month? Not in MY world. With the amount of time on my hands currently despite hopes that it doesn't become even more, I could probably change the starter in a 2017 Ram Promaster City without a lift at my disposal. FTW
    Volare Magnet

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (12-23-2020)

United States
    Thanks
    Guess this would be a rave? Forecast for last night was 4-6" of snow. Woke this morning to find it only snowed 2" or so. Still sucked driving to work though.

United States
    Thanks
    I would rather have ZERO snow but I would take 2 vs 4-6 inches any day.