Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The price is a big reason that keeps me from getting a rider. Plus, by the time I did all the areas that you could never do with a rider, may as well just do the whole thing with a walk behind and be done with it. As you said, to get anything decent that will last for years and years, it's big bucks.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a $99 Walmart 3.5hp weedeater push mower for doing around my Leyland Cypress. It is small and lightweight so it is easy to use. It has the old style briggs with the metal gas tank. Those things run forever. Don`t even change the oil. LOL The only repair in 15 years was the gasket between the tank and carb.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I don't have anything to rant about and nothing to make me rave either. Maybe rant about my pos 99 Cummins not running right. Or the 5thA still sheeting paint off to primer. The regular daily in the shop for almost a month with no call that the deer damage is fixed yet. But who cares... I could rave about how nice it was to see the sun today. But that would mean an undue rant about mowing again. Because the sun is already gone and the coming rain is already in my bones and on the radar. But overall life is good today. I'm not deaf from the mower or the over two hours of ear muffs. I'm just enjoying the show as a young male Blue Jay fends off an older bigger bird and keeps coming back to his little lady sitting in the biggest apple tree. The Robins are enjoying the show from the fence too. But the Purple Finches who moved in as the Yellows moved on for summer and which are really redheads are oblivious as they and the Sparrows enjoy the feeder. Yep just a cold beer and a good feeling. How is your day? Hope it's equally well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190609_182918.jpg   20190603_191102.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe I should show the most popular feeder in its proper context. With the gate I made to the terraced garden I made for my wife. It needs painted again this year but that's no bother to me or the birds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190619_195449.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    OK, I'll rave for once instead of rant, lol. Last couple days have been BEAUTIFUL. Mostly sunny, mid 70's, humidity in the 25-30% range, light breeze. Sweet! One more of the same tomorrow but it all goes away on Friday when the rain makes it's triumphant return after a 3 day road trip, just in time for the weekend BUT, I promised not to rant so I'll leave it at that.

I'll have a good rant tomorrow or the next day, depending on if parts come. Got to tear into a Porsche something or another. The model escapes me but it's an SUV kind of thing. "Porsche, there is no substitute" Horse feathers. A substitute is pretty much any other car as long as it's NOT made in Germany. But I'm not going to rant today
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Actually have another rave today. The Porsche I ranted about got loaded on a trailer today and went away. Sounds like the owner decided to not fix it, or they couldn't afford to fix it, one of the two. It's OK, we've got more work than we know what to do with anyways. We must be doing something right, it's ALWAYS busy and we're actually having space problems of where to park the vehicles waiting to be worked on and also the vehicles that are done but not picked up yet. Some cars, people must not need them that bad. They sit there for days or a week or two after they're done. We've got a big lot in back and in front, and on the side but the darn things are full.

Not a rant or rave but, there's an '08 Chevy Aveo that is having it's one year anniversary next week. Last June, it came in on a flatbed with the engine fried. I put a used engine in along with new front brakes and a couple other things I can't remember now. The woman that was driving it lives in Janesville, about 180 miles south. Only phone number we have for her is now disconnected so...…………..For all we know she's dead and we don't know what to do with the car. I think the bill is paid already. Funny thing is, it sat in the same spot out front into last winter when we decided to put it out back after the 1st snowstorm, and figured the battery would be dead. Walked out in the snow in 5 degree weather, turned the key and it started like you just shut it off 10 minutes ago, fired up instantly and ran perfectly. Too bad it's a little sh*t box Aveo...…………………………...

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    08 Aveo value is about 2-3 grand. If she didn`t pay she is probably ahead of the game. LOL

United States
    Thanks
    The woman that owns it is (was?) in her 80's and seemed kind of all not there, if I have to be honest. A heater hose split and she kept driving until it wouldn't go anymore. The engine was so cooked it had zero compression in all 4 cylinders. I remember her saying "it turns over good but won't start". Yeah, it turned over TOO good, lol. After numerous phone calls from us, finding she was in the hospital and a month later she called to ask if her car was done yet. 'Yes ma'am, your car has been done for 3 months (at that time). She called back again a few weeks later asking if her car was done....You get the idea. We called an talked to someone else related to her a couple times and now, phone disconnected. I guess the bill ISN'T paid ($3,600 in total) so the paperwork is going in for a "mechanics lien". Basically, the DMV (I think) will try to contact the owner and if unsuccesful, eventually a title will be made with our name on it (by "our" I mean Martin's Auto Repair) and we can sell it or keep it. I think the idea is to keep it and add it to the loaner fleet. Aside from it being a little sh*tbox car, it's in good shape and any car that can sit for 6 months including winter, and then fire up on the first revolution of the engine at 5 degrees F , can't be all bad.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    Actually have another rave today. The Porsche I ranted about got loaded on a trailer today and went away. Sounds like the owner decided to not fix it, or they couldn't afford to fix it, one of the two. It's OK, we've got more work than we know what to do with anyways. We must be doing something right, it's ALWAYS busy and we're actually having space problems of where to park the vehicles waiting to be worked on and also the vehicles that are done but not picked up yet.
    Quite a while ago at the Dodge Dealer we were always booked solid for three to four weeks out. We were the ones that would fix cars the other dealers couldn't and the Chrysler reps would send them to us as they new we would get them taken care of. This was for the whole St. Louis Zone. It seemed to be a bitch but it definitely was job security. I would much rather be busy that stand around with nothing to do.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopars1 View Post
    Quite a while ago at the Dodge Dealer we were always booked solid for three to four weeks out. We were the ones that would fix cars the other dealers couldn't and the Chrysler reps would send them to us as they new we would get them taken care of. This was for the whole St. Louis Zone. It seemed to be a bitch but it definitely was job security. I would much rather be busy that stand around with nothing to do.
    It makes a person feel good when you have more work than you can do, like you must be doing something right. I wouldn't mind having a few less physically demanding jobs so my body could recuperate. All this heavy work like engines, transmissions, ball joints on Super Duty trucks, one right after another takes it's toll. Let's just say, I'm not 25 years old anymore, lol. Really looking forward to the upcoming 4 day weekend (4th of July) and then a week later, a weeks vacation which is the first I've taken since last summer. Other places I worked always had slow periods at certain times of the year. Where I've worked the past 6 years, there never are slow periods, it's always booked solid every day.