Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree. I'm glad you found a way to put it into words. Thanks.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's frustrating that noting something like Rights in the context of Medicine is one thing. But if it were to become a discussion that would be verboten politics.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Not a rant or rave but good a place as any.
    I was looking through the owners manual for my dad's 2012 Charger and got a kick of how thick it is. As a comparison, 1979 Dodge Aspen owners manual: 77 pages. 2012 Charger manual: 588 pages. Plus a few pages each for the Sirius/XM manual and the U-Connect manual. Frigging ridiculous.

Well, I guess it isn't my dad's Charger anymore, it will be my brother's. Once the body damage is repaired and I put new tires on for him, it's his. Car only has 5,300 miles on it but the tires are so weather checked and cracked, it'd be a BAD idea to leave them on there. What's cool about the car is, when you get in, it still smells brand new even though it's 10 years old! It's going to be a good car for him, and I'm sure his wife will drive it sometimes also.

For reason's we'll never know now, there was a claim opened on the insurance from the driver that hit him (2 years ago), but he never had it fixed, and they (All State) closed the claim with no payout. Dad's insurance (American Family) is going to cover it all. The damage on the right front was done at another unknown time and that gets fixed also. Despite what you hear abut insurance companies, the woman I spoke to 3 or 4 times at the claim center was great! It's the way it should always be. It goes in on the 28th and the shop that's doing it, Yach's Body and Custom, is the best. I know it will be 100% perfect.

Yach's is one of those body shops that does amazing work. When I worked at the Audi dealer (a few blocks from Yach's) I remember an Audi A6 they sent over for alignment. I had seen it behind their shop with the front end mashed in about 3 feet. I couldn't tell they had done anything to it when doing the alignment. I'm talking exterior, in the engine compartment, underneath, and anywhere else I looked. They hadn't put the fenderwell liners or underbody shields on yet, so it was all wide open to view. It was amazing. There was no way you'd ever know it had been wrecked , and wrecked BAD, unless you saw the car beforehand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00547.jpg   DSC00548.jpg   DSC00549.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 6 Days Ago at 07:25 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry but 588 pages just seems ridiculous to annotate how to use the included tech and not to drink the battery acid that you have to find in the trunk....
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I thought it was a bit much also. Obviously, the manual has pages for every possible option, regardless if the car has it or not but still.........A good portion of those 588 pages cover things this particular car doesn't have. The one thing that takes some getting used to is that stupid electric shifter for the 8 speed trans. Once you used it enough, it would be fine I suppose. Still, it's better than the turn knob on the dash the RAM'S have.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh, you mean a washing machine selector? Yeah sure. I want heavy wash with the extra spin cycle. Oh wait, vestige of Daimler Nanny says I can't get that unless I pay enough to get a red key...
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I`m probably one of the few that actually like the knob shifter selector on my truck.

United States
    Thanks
    I suppose, like the "shifter" in the Charger, a person would get used to the knob also. I just find them sort of, well, I'm not sure how to describe it. Maybe if it was in a better location, it would make it more natural to use. They seem kind of in an odd spot to me, but that's just me. Can't recall off hand what it was in, could have been a Journey. It had a shift knob, except it was on the console so, like a floor shifter, your hand just naturally could use it without reaching. Yeah I know, picky, picky, picky, lol!

What's REALLY annoying about RAM's with the 8-speed is, trying to drive them on the alignment rack, you pop the door open to line up with the ramps and,,,,,,,,,,,it automatically goes in park and you come to a dead stop. You can override it by pulling the panel off the dash and using the manual park release override cable but, come on! You have to pull that anyways, otherwise to do the head compensation where you roll the vehicle forward and back a few inches would be impossible. If you leave the knob in neutral, key on or off, soon as the door opens,,,,,,,,,,,,park. Reaching in through the window, pressing the brake pedal with a long extension and turning the knob to neutral, it'll engage park again in about 10 seconds. Nanny at work................. Give me a shifter with a cable or linkage hooked to a manual lever on the trans any day.
    Last edited by aspen79; 3 Days Ago at 09:52 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Now not being able to open the door while moving is a pain in the azz.

United States
    Thanks
    Yes it is, especially when you're working on the vehicle. Some vehicles apply the electric parking brake instead, but same frustrating results.