Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    When I retired and settled down away from turning wrenches every day my body felt so much better it was hard to fathom. I had not felt that good for a very long time. But, with all the heavy work I did for many years, my back was shot and I ended up having three operations on my lower back to get things lined out to where I feel even better today. I still have to watch what I do but at least I can walk and sit normally now.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Thankfully you had good luck with your surgeries. I personally know a few that have went bad. Real bad. I have back issues too but it scares me to have any surgery. I`m at the age where I just live with it. I can still do things but at a slower pace and there are days when I really suffer.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    All I know is, 30 years ago it was a piece of cake to get down to set the hoist pads. Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's an exercise in pain. Same with crawling under a dash or leaning over the front of the vehicle to work on the engine. Ibuprofin is the "mature" technician's friend. I know there was a time when I could actually see what I was working on also. Get under a dash or in a wheel well and it sucks. Too close for the bifocals, to far away for no glasses. It gets so frustrating. The guy in the stall next to me is the exact same way. You also need WAY more light to see anything at 55 than at 20 years old. What hurts almost all the time to some extent or another? Neck, back, arms, fingers, feet, knees, calfs, chest muscles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,basically everything. Grrrrrrrrrr…………………………………….. Yeah I know,,,,,whah, whah, whah. lol Still, I'm doing better than a lot of people I see that are my age, or even younger so, I really shouildn't complain too much.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    Thankfully you had good luck with your surgeries. I personally know a few that have went bad. Real bad. I have back issues too but it scares me to have any surgery. I`m at the age where I just live with it. I can still do things but at a slower pace and there are days when I really suffer.
    I had a fear of doing it too but the way they perform the surgeries anymore are pretty bullet proof. Also, in my instance, the surgeries were better than the alternative.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    And when the doctor tells you what to do in the days and weeks after the surgery, do exactly what he says. Ask questions to clarify and carry out those instructions meticulously. A co-worker of mine didn't do that a couple years ago and he ended up worse than before, and also a junkie.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It's amazing what they can do with a tiny little incision and a laser these days. I know a guy that had his back hurt so bad, he could barely walk. He went to the Bone and Joint Clinic here in town. It's actually just on the other side of the freeway from my house. He had to be wheeled in because of the pain and just a few hours later he was up and walking around. A week after that and it was as if nothing had ever been wrong. Tiny little slit which took about 4 stitches to close and whatever they did with a laser beam and POOF, severe back pain gone. His back still doesn't NOT hurt but it's at the level he can live with.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    One of the surgeries that went bad for a friend was a complication of spine surgery in which the thin covering over the spinal cord was nicked by the surgeon. He almost died after coming home and complaining of not feeling well. He was only going in for what was suppose to be a simple procedure and after the surgery he could not longer walk without help.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    One of the surgeries that went bad for a friend was a complication of spine surgery in which the thin covering over the spinal cord was nicked by the surgeon. He almost died after coming home and complaining of not feeling well. He was only going in for what was suppose to be a simple procedure and after the surgery he could not longer walk without help.
    The covering must have been more than nicked. I had a nick and it made me feel so bad like I had all day migraines. They brought me back into the hospital pronto and performed a "blood patch" procedure and within 1 second I was cured.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I have pain until I read others stories and what it's taken them to get better. And then I'm pretty sure mine is just the discomfort they are still living with. It doesn't make it better for me, but it makes me grateful for what I have and keeps me from whining about it mostly. But all the time I think it would be nice to have a day without pain. More than I feel I should think about it. But how do you stop from wishing it would just go away? I grudgingly accept feeling half drunk all day from the vision and compensate. The crunchiness of age and bending too. But the pain. It occupies too many of my thoughts. I don't know how it happened but last Friday I woke without it. Just a dull numb goodness where it hurts. For months I've been second on the go home list for when we have extra people for the work needing done. Both us oldest two in the area always pass and the list keeps rotating below us. I don't know how it came to having extras on a Friday or on such a beautiful day or a day I could somehow enjoy but it did. Overtime day be damned, I left. Picked up tractor parts on the way home and put everything together again. I even got the weed wacker out and trimmed everything first, which is easily a 45 minute job of slinging that thing on my painful shoulder too, though I've never timed myself. Was still good as I rode around in the grass for a couple hours more. Took the family to dinner. Just enjoyed a real day that I know I didn't have coming to me and don't know how it came to be. It just did. That may not be a rave to others but it is to me and even over a week later I 'm really happy for having had that day. Because I woke up to pouring rain and life as usual the next and every once since.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I judged my going to get help when my pain was so bad and constant that I could barely move and could not get into ANY position to come close to relieving any of the pain and it was 24/7. I never opted for surgery until that point.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport