Page 74 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Awe man that stinks. Tough to do anything as most people intend to move one thing and it effects others as well. Enjoy your time off anyhow. If you haven't been thru severe hand trauma before, expect that even 6-8 weeks from now when it's healed, that it will be Super Sensitive for almost equal time after. Going thru that now with a toe even. Open spiral fracture. Start planning the relaxation activities you want to accomplish...
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't realize how much you rely on 2 good hands until one is limited. I have antibiotics to take for a week for infection. I hope it doesn't take 6-8 weeks before I can go back to work. I'll go insane! Not sure about compensation but I'll be fine missing a few paychecks (paid every 2 weeks). Sounds odd but, I'd rather be at work than sit around at home and do what I can with 1 1/2 hands.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Owned since 1987, big block since 1989
    1996 Dakota Sport owned since 1998, 3.9L. Winter DD
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, bought 2017, summer only DD
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your injury. As much as you may want to rush it please try and resist and let it heal well after the surgery. My broken wrist bones moved sometime while in the cast (probably from being impatient and trying to use it)and it will never be the same. Luckily it was my left wrist so it doesn`t affect me too much. Get well.

United States
    Thanks
    Fortunately, I've always tended to heal fairly quick from an injury. I guess using my left hand more will make it easier to use for things like writing and, it feels like someone else doing the writing, lol. I really hope I can at least carefully use my hand in not too long a time. I'm already going insane from the things I can't really do right now. I can use the thumb and other 3 fingers on my right hand to some extent but the splint restricts even that. One good thing, if there is a good thing, the surgery is out patient so shortly after it's done, I can come back home on my own. At least that's my understanding. It's being done at a clinic, not a hospital and they would have told me otherwise when the appt was made yesterday.
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You do not want to strain a tendon on the mend. Not even in conjunction with nearby tendons in action. Follow your Dr.s instructions to the letter. This will be whatever you spend the rest of your life with.

I'll add a RAVE
    Was just working in front of the garage cleaning CC who oddly has now decided to run just fine again... leading me to consider condensation in the distributor cap may have been the issue.

But wait there's more!
    So there I am wiping her down and this old guy pulls in, in a YJ gets out and starts telling me stories. Turns out he was the engineer at the Tenneco factory in our little village who developed the torsion bar bushings for our cars! They molded the rubber here in Milan and sent it over to Napoleon Ohio where they assembled them into the full components with the steel they had another company stamp for them. Then they shipped them to another company to put on the bars. I happen to have some bars and bushings out right now and we had a great chat. He even explained that I just need to shim the Polybushings inside to use them properly. And that the reason the washer on the end of the bar is so thick is because the first one deflected in initial panic stop testing and the test driver rolled the car as a result when the lower control arm pulled the bushing through right off the inner sleeve that's pinned onto the bar! Really neat to learn more about our cars and that there's a local connection.
    Volare Magnet

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (11-10-2021)

United States
    Thanks
    Oh, I will of course follow the docs instructions. I'm sure it'll have another splint to prevent movement. I sure don't want to push it and pull the tendon apart before it's healed!

Cool story. The best ones are always from the people that were there when it happened. Doesn't matter if it's car related or not. I can remember a few years ago watching a series on PBS where they interviewed WW!! veterans. You can hear it from others, watch documentaries but hearing how it really was from the guys and gals that were there is the best. I'm not a war history enthusiast by any means but that series kept me riveted. Same with the series about the Hell's Angels with the guy who was one back in the day. Think it was on History Channel. Gives you a whole new perspective.
    Let's go Brandon!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (11-09-2021)

United States
    Thanks
    Matt, Cool info. Please explain what you mean by "He even explained that I just need to shim the Polybushings inside to use them properly." Are you talking putting something between the poly bushing and the bar itself? Not sure I can picture it??

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He pointed out the obvious to me. Felt stupid but finished his sentence to redeem myself. You know how you always have to drill the rubber out to use poly because you still need the shells? Same in this case except the outer shell comes off and the rubber was molded to the sleeve the pin goes thru. The swaybar link sleeve is a sleeve on the sleeve! It's two pieces of steel and you have to save the inner and reuse it just like a poly control arm bushing shell but in this case an inner sleeve. As he was explaining and pointing to clearly two pieces of steel at the inside of the end link, I finished with, "and poly never comes with shells, in this case a sleeve!" He smiled that I was as knowledgeable as he hoped in stopping, after passing for years without seeing anybody outside to stop and visit with. So we moved to the mid links as he explained how the quality guys hated him back then because it was the first time their company had ever done a "safety item" and he had to develop the process for them to follow in 'locked lots' with sampling of every component that goes into the assemblies in each lot individually and as the assembly. I showed him how the mid links are also oversized and he was very concerned. But we agreed that a proper thickness sleeve could be made for there as well by bending a steel U shape and hammering it into a cylinder, maybe with some heat then adding a couple hard tacks ground smooth. He didn't like the design either way, without the clamped ends, but wanted to be sure to impress on me that the mid link uses the compressive force of the outer shell to actually crush the rubber tightly to the bar. I'll just need to use a thickness of steel that provides that once the shell is clamped on to be rewelded solidly. I begrudged that their welding process is a real pain to properly drill apart without ruining them and he laughed. Said, "we built them to stay together, not to come apart and go back together!" LOL!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    Oh, I will of course follow the docs instructions. I'm sure it'll have another splint to prevent movement. I sure don't want to push it and pull the tendon apart before it's healed!

Cool story. The best ones are always from the people that were there when it happened. Doesn't matter if it's car related or not. I can remember a few years ago watching a series on PBS where they interviewed WW!! veterans. You can hear it from others, watch documentaries but hearing how it really was from the guys and gals that were there is the best. I'm not a war history enthusiast by any means but that series kept me riveted. Same with the series about the Hell's Angels with the guy who was one back in the day. Think it was on History Channel. Gives you a whole new perspective.
    Yep, you never get a real sense of history from anyone other than those who lived it. Authors can write or pontificate a monologue on video all they wish, but unless they were there it's just hollow words that would somehow seem much better if they were just inflecting on fiction. That's partly why I don't watch "news". It only angers me to watch people attempt to be sincere these days mostly because I actually do research my opinions and know their lying through their teeth. Using words and voice to sway the ignorant into having an opinion that's not based on all the facts but only a few that were cherry picked to fit a narrative that suits their advertisers and ultra wealthy elitist station ownership. Nope, not guna RANT on that one any further tho.... I know what I know and I refuse to bow down, but that doesn't mean I need to go on about it either. #IWillNotComply
    Volare Magnet

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (11-10-2021)

United States
    Thanks
    I tend to avoid the "news" at all costs. Can't believe anything you hear from the lamestream media. There are a few exceptions but overall it's all a bunch of government propaganda (kind of sounds like a certain German regime from the 1930's and 1940's, doesn't it?) I've been to events, or meetings, where there are reporters from one or more stations. Later, I watch the news and wonder if they were at the same meeting I was at. Just about everything they report is wrong, never happened, was never said or they twisted it around to take it all out of context to fit their narrative. Just report the news as it happened, truthfully, honestly, factually and without bias. Is that too much to ask?
    Let's go Brandon!