Thread: Lowering the front end.

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks

Lowering the front end.

How hard is it to lower the front end of my car? would like to close the gap over the front tire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rrsp10.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	6032

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The question is : Are rear springs weak allowing the front to appear raised ? Or is it the torsion bars are just cranked up to high. To lower the front you can turn the large torsion bar adjustment screws/bolts with the weight off the car. Turn each side equal amounts if you car already sits level. There are measurements for setting it to factory height is you desire. The front needs checking and probable realignment after making the adjustment.

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    The question is : Are rear springs weak allowing the front to appear raised ? Or is it the torsion bars are just cranked up to high. To lower the front you can turn the large torsion bar adjustment screws/bolts with the weight off the car. Turn each side equal amounts if you car already sits level. There are measurements for setting it to factory height is you desire. The front needs checking and probable realignment after making the adjustment.
    Thanks, the car appears to sit level, I just want more of a raked stance.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I slicked out a set of new tires up front in under a week because I changed the front height and I didn't know any better back then. Moving the height changes the toe quite a bit.
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-14-2019 at 05:10 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Front end alignment definitely needed after changing ride height. As chad said, the toe will be changed a surprising amount. Camber and caster will also be affected to a lesser extent.

If you're not familiar with the torsion bar adjustments on an F-body, there's a large bolt on each side of the k-frame, at the ends of the transverse bars. Right side bolt adjusts left bar, left side bolt adjusts right bar.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That`s assuming the car was aligned like it sets. It may have been aligned and then the springs sagged over time or it could have been cranked up in the front after the alignment who knows? That`s why I recommended checking and probable alignment..