Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flip open fuel cap

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Flip open fuel cap

I've installed mine.

A couple things I'd say about it for people who are going to do this.

I would set aside the original screws and get some #10 by 5/8 or even 3/4 countersunk head. My originals were too short even with a deep counter bore. If you did a normal countersink it would leave more meat in the adapter under the screw head. If I had it to do again, I would do this.

I used the original screws to mount the cap to the adapter. I ground the tips off to make this work, but only the pointed part that isn't really needed unless you are using the screw to make the hole. But in delrin, you will have to drill the holes as it can't move out of the way like wood.

I got a Glacier Bay drain body for a bathroom wash basin for $5 and used the nylon washer/gasket from it behind the adapter so it would seal better to the original neck. My neck seems a bit pushed in compared to what the adapter is ready for. I had to use the grinder to reduce the outside diameter of this washer just a tiny bit.

If my flip cap doesn't wear in a bit over the next little while I think I will have to take the adapter off and mill or turn the neck down about 1/16 inch shorter. My flip cap seems to be not the best quality or I wouldn't have to do this.

Conclusion is thumbs up for this mod. I may end up getting the chrome trim ring for it just to finish things out.

Here are the pics from the work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	6035

Name:	start.jpg 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	6036

Name:	adapter.jpg 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	6037

Name:	open.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	6038

Name:	closed.jpg 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	6039

Name:	gasket.jpg 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	6040
    Last edited by doublechaz; 07-17-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Aspen and Volare Member Badvert65's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If you disassemble the standard gas cap you have, can you trim the chrome piece to fit over the adapter? Just a thought.
    -Matt

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I like how you countersunk the screw holes. Once added the chrome ring does help give it a finished look.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-18-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a couple of the adaptors but bought the wrong flip cap so haven't installed one yet. But on the others I've seen installed I couldn't see the adaptor with the cap closed. So I'm wondering if you bought, or just received the wrong cap also, but yours is capable of mounting? Adding the trim ring won't fix seeing the adaptor so I'm really liking Badvert's comment on cutting that chrome cap to glue on and cover it up.

And not to hijack the thread, but I hope you're doing well these days Matt/ Badvert! I don't recall hearing from you in a while and have wondered if you've gotten another wagon to romp around in these days.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Matt, what is the difference in the caps? What car should it be ordered for to get the correct one? I wasn`t aware they were different so I`m glad you said something.

United States
    Thanks
    I looked back through all the photos and it seems that some marked "fuel" hide the adapter and others don't. There must be an inaccurate repop out there or a vendor that ships the wrong part.

I like the idea of cutting up the old fuel cap to make a cover. I'll look and see if that can work...

United States
    Thanks
    If I remember right, the big cap that hides the adaptor is 68-70 Charger and the one I got was for Challenger and doesn't work. I'll have to dig the stuff out and look again.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    OK. yeah, I got the Challenger cap by accident. It was sitting right next to the Charger cap at the swap meet. Thankfully I'll see the same vendor this coming weekend again. Hopefully. It's 4" but stepped off too far. Yours doesn't look like it's the big 4" cap, to be seeing the adaptor below it.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I just measured mine. It's every bit of four inches. I think the problem is that it sits raised from the surface more than it should.

United States
    Thanks
    I would nice to see side by side comparisons of the correct cap and the one he has mounted. It is hard to visualize the differences. If the adapter was made smaller( circumference wise) would it be less visible?
    One question. Is the filler neck is on the back side of the quarter panel?
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-20-2019 at 09:08 AM.