Thread: The first time a F body got your attention and spiked your interest.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

The first time a F body got your attention and spiked your interest.

I was wondering about the first time a F body got your attention.
    Mine was way back when I was still in high school. I was washing cars part time at a local dodge dealer. I saw a brand new 76 Aspen RT on the back storage lot. I asked a salesman about it he said it was a special order car and it was already sold. It kinda broke my heart at the time as I had no idea on how cars were ordered or obtained from the manufacturer. I was trying to ask more questions but the salesman blew me off. I guess he thought i had no chance at buying a new car at the time and he wasn`t going to waste his time on some young kid. He may have been right though. LOL It was dark blue met with lighter blue side stripes and a white interior. It was a 318 4 speed OD. I thought that it was coolest car at that time even though late 60`s and early 70`s RR`s, Chargers, Demons and Cuda still roamed the streets. Why did this car get all of my attention? I don`t really know but it still has it to this day.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I never really paid a whole lot of attention to the F-body the first few years they were around, although I always thought they were good looking cars, there wasn't an urge to own one. They went out of production the year I got a drivers license (1980) and I was into Barracudas when you could still buy one for anywhere from $100-$1,000 and drive them home. I didn't say rust free, not even close but, they were "a dime a dozen" almost. Then, in 1987, when I was working as a Ford tech at a new car dealership a silver/panther pink (originally silver/red) '79 Aspen with Keystone Klassic's and 1/4 window louvers with 72,000 miles got traded in on a new Taurus of all things. I saw it sitting in the back row and it kept drawing me in. A couple days later I went in and ask how much. The sales manager said $700. SOLD to it's 2nd and last owner! Had no knowledge that it was a Sunrise with Decor Pkg, and had never heard of either anyways. Found that stuff out a little later. Even though it was a pooch with the E24 Calif. emission 225 with a neck snapping 90hp, hooked to a 4-speed O/D, I loved the car from the first time I drove it, except for the red plaid seats which I thought were hideous. Back then, I had no idea I would still own it 32 years later and will own it until I'm underground. Other cars have come and gone, but the Aspen stuck around. It has never been even considered for sale. Never understood the engine. The car was special ordered at a dealership about 80 miles from here by a local person (same one that traded it in) for sale in Wisconsin so why the E24 California emission S6? Makes no sense.

Of course, when my buddies GF blew me away (the car, not me, lol) with her bone stock '67 Camaro, 6 cyl, 3 on the tree sometime during the summer of '89,,,,,,,,,,,,I knew it was time for more power, lol. May have went a little overboard with the more power thing but, what the heck! The Aspen is here to stay and chances are she still has that Camaro. The way she loved that car, I can't imagine she would ever have sold it.

This is a pic of the Aspen shortly after buying it. Louvers were off at the time because they were loose and about to fall off and, I hadn't gotten them back on. Otherwise, this is the car I saw in the back row at the dealership. Not sure who that young guy with the long hair is though Bad pic, it's a photo taken of a film photo and something got lost in the translation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a9704f4f_339304.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-25-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    The car was calling you for help and you answered. It has a much better life now.

United States
    Thanks
    The car had been repainted before I bought it, maybe after the accident damage was repaired(?). Appears it had a semi-bad crash. The entire left rear corner of the car is welded on from a donor, including part of the trunk floor, the right cowl side panel had been replaced and the passenger door had been bent quite a bit but repaired instead of replaced. Could also see where the top of the cowl on the right side had been straightened and repaired. The door crash beam has a slight bow in it to this day. The right front fender was new, still had the Mopar sticker on the backside. The paint is a duplicate of the original paint scheme and tape stripes but all paint, no tape. I always wondered why the Panther Pink instead of red. That one is lost to time.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    In Rattle Trap fashion of making a short story long....

I guess I was slow on the uptake of F-bodies. I can't really recall seeing one before around 82 or 83. And I knew my cars so that's pretty weird. I mean, we'd been drawing cars pretty good in school since 3rd grade and a couple of us were getting to almost pro level in Junior High. I really liked an older guy at school's blue and white striped Cobra_II. Wasn't a real big fan of the four spoke Cragars on the front but it was cool and my dad had a blue Boss 302 in the day. One day I was riding my bike to the community pool and noticed him out back waxing it so I stopped. Sitting beside it behind the house was another car I'd never seen. An orange 77 Roadrunner t-bar with a 340 he'd just gotten too! Man that thing was Cool! I'd see him around in it from time to time after that but it kinda slipped my consciousness overall. There were so many muscle cars everywhere in the 80's. I started developing alliances with other guys as we approached being able to drive. I don't like to speak poorly of others but the Chevy guys were really just a bunch of Dbags. The Ford guys my age all seemed a little too entitled, even if my dad was their dad's boss. But I tried to follow along with a couple Fords, and my dad sold every one of them out from under me. Decent and running or could be easily running cars that I figured I could have really nice by the time I could drive them. Just gone. So with a bit of anger there and an increasing amount of fun with the crazy bunch down at the Sunoco station who were all into Mopars I had an idea what was coming next. I got my license by trading a paintjob on some experimental engine 70-1/2 Z28 for drivers ed, and then was able to title my own car with that ID. So I had a 69 Coronet in his driveway that weekend. Boy he was steamed about that. It was Great! So I got an Arizona fresh 67 Dart GT too. Then I burnt the trans in the Dart and it wasn't sitting there unmoved for a week and he had the junkyard come for it while I was at school. Sunuva… there went another one. A couple more came and went of my own choice and I had a 69 Roadrunner in 999 Butterscotch hidden in town that I was working on. The guys were kinda helping and it was getting real close when I drove past a classmates house one day and saw another thing I'd never seen before. A black Aspen R/T! Man that thing looked cool. Rusty, but Cool! I asked the guys at the gas station about it and they knew all about that thing. Who'd owned it, what had been done over the years. Everything. Like I said, I guess I was just slow on the uptake to them. While the guys knew it's history none of them really liked it. Blah blah blah, Super Bee, Charger, Roadrunner, Duster, Demon, you know the story. And they all had their own thing. Well except Charlie, Duster Demon Dart Sport, if it was a 70's A-body those were all his. 18 and he was already back halving a Demon in his mom's basement garage. I wasn't guna argue with anybody. Small town rules. No copycats. Right about then I got kicked out of the school parking lot for my turn doing smokey doughnuts, right as the vice principal walked around the corner. I needed something they didn't recognize Pronto! So I actually went and looked at that R/T right after looking at a 68 Fury 2dr Pursuit ex Highway Patrol car. I don't know what those guys had against that R/T. It was AWESOME! Rough around the edges just like me! Once I owned it I realized why they didn't like it though. That 114,000 mile 360 would hardly get out of it's own way. But man I loved that car anyhow. And now I had my own thing too! So within a month or so I had all the parts and actually had that thing doing low 14's neck and neck or beating everybody else in our budget! But Nobody else knew Jack about F-bodies so I set out to learn all I could. And.... came down with a severe case of HL-NL which meant also owning all of em I could too. Within a year I had sold the 69 and had an F in that garage, plus was renting a barn just outside town where I had three more. I even owned the Roadrunner that first made me recognize F-bodies, for a few months. Minus it's 340 and most of it's floor pans by then. That poor thing had gotten bad fast. But I did own it briefly. So noticing F-bodies was always a Road Runner and R/T thing for me and like a snowball rolling downhill. Took a while to pack but once it started rolling it's taken on a lifelong life of it's own!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My senior year of high school my parents took a trip to Milwaukee to do some shopping. We passed through a small town that had a small used car dealership. As I looked through the side window as we passed by, I could see the front end poking out between some other cars. I asked my dad if we could stop on the way back, which he did. I think it was color combination that really caught my attention. It had about 85k miles on it for $2400 in '88. My dad said it was too much for that car. I went back the next day anyway and took it for a drive. The first time with a V8 and manual transmission. I almost wrapped it around a telephone pole. It was the most fun and scared the crap out of me at the same time. I managed to talk my mom into co-signing for me. It's been with me ever since. A lot of great memories over the years.

United States
    Thanks
    Even though my first encounter didn`t end up with me owning one at that time. I really wanted one when they were new in 76 but I just didn`t have the money until a few years later to actually buy one. At the time I had a well used 66 Dodge Coronet and then a 72 Charger before trading the Charger in on a low mile nice used 76 Volare RR.

United States
    Thanks
    I barely remember when the f's came out. I was only 12 at the time and had Barracuda on the brain, lol. Vowed my 1st car would be a Barracuda or else, and it was. Mainly what I recall (no pun intended) was hearing about the front fenders rusting out in less than a year. and can remember a few with the lower rear part of the fenders missing and holes in the tops of the fenders before I even started high school in '78, the ones that hadn't been fixed yet anyways.

I always wonder, if I hadn't been working at that particular Ford dealership in '87, and the original owner hadn't traded it in there, and it hadn't of had the stripes, 1/4 louvers, bucket seats, 4-speed, etc., to grab my attention, would I have an Aspen now? Hard to say but glad it all worked out the way it did.
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-30-2019 at 04:48 PM.