Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F body horns

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Not saying that car didn`t come with two horns. Just saying that horn isn`t the one it came from the factory with. That is a replacement horn. So hence me saying it wasn`t original. Looks like more was read into my post then what I was saying.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 1 Week Ago at 09:25 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    While we are talking horns, were the RR horns originally black?

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Black as far as I've ever seen. Can't recall the date range on purple but it's on the reproduction's boxes. I bought the the purple one anyhow. But now I'm wondering if J31 with A57 should be dual Beep Beeps? I've never seen one to know anything there.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Ok, I had a purple horn that I put on my car . I had removed a single black one off two Volare rr`s. I have NOS black that i will probably put back on the car. The purple one did stand out thru the grille area. I have no idea on the dual horn thing.

Aspen and Volare Junior Member bbeep79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought my '79 Road Runner new in June of '79. I've always taken good care of it, never winter driven or restored. I just took a look at it, and the single road runner horn is mounted below the hood latch, and has a single wire lead to it. Attached is a copy of a page from the '79 Plymouth data and trim selector book, used at the dealership when ordering a new car. It says option 'J31 - dual horns' is not available with the road runner A57 option. The book lists all options available, and for J31, it says 'Not available with road runner option. It also shows it is an extra cost option on any Volare. My build does not list any horn option on it, I assume it was because it was part of the road runner package.
    I don't have data books for the '76 or '77 models, so I can't speak to those.

As far as horn color, they were black in '68, purple with the decal from '69 to '72, because people were asking to see the horn at the dealerships because they thought they were something special. Chrysler decided to spiff 'em up a little, as they were in plain sight those years. From '73 to '80, they were black again. Just my 2 cents worth.
    The picture of my car is from this summer, have owned it 40 years.

Stew in Wisconsin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   1979 Road Runner 3.jpg  
    Last edited by bbeep79; 1 Week Ago at 08:28 PM.
    Always one bad decision away from a good time.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm thinking the J31 option with the RR package was for a '76/'77, or even '76 only (I'm not sure for a fact though). The more I learn about the "early" f's, the more I find out how different they really are from the '78/'79 f's. Also, the EARLY '76's have quite a few differences form the later '76's. Of course, the '80 is different in even more ways.

That's great, you having bought the car new and still owning it 40 years later (I've only owned mine for 32 years, lol), and better yet, it's original and unrestored and,,,,,,,,,,looks like brand new yet.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 08:44 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeep79 View Post
    I bought my '79 Road Runner new in June of '79. I've always taken good care of it, never winter driven or restored. I just took a look at it, and the single road runner horn is mounted below the hood latch, and has a single wire lead to it. Attached is a copy of a page from the '79 Plymouth data and trim selector book, used at the dealership when ordering a new car. It says option 'J31 - dual horns' is not available with the road runner A57 option. The book lists all options available, and for J31, it says 'Not available with road runner option. It also shows it is an extra cost option on any Volare. My build does not list any horn option on it, I assume it was because it was part of the road runner package.
    I don't have data books for the '76 or '77 models, so I can't speak to those.

As far as horn color, they were black in '68, purple with the decal from '69 to '72, because people were asking to see the horn at the dealerships because they thought they were something special. Chrysler decided to spiff 'em up a little, as they were in plain sight those years. From '73 to '80, they were black again. Just my 2 cents worth.
    The picture of my car is from this summer, have owned it 40 years.

Stew in Wisconsin
    Thanks for the info. Very nice car btw.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Very Nice 79 Roadrunner Stew! The 75 grille bird is an especially nice touch! I just finally got a very similar one earlier this year. It's not in such incredible condition but well optioned. I may have never been so attentive to that page of the trim book previously though. I also notice now that K6X stripe set is unavailable with A57, and that doesn't even make sense to me, as that was the black lower set and I've seen it on several white 79's. Also, the A68 Premier/SE interior is actually Typical to the A57 package. Long ago I thought it was part of the package that year until I started seeing a few with lower trim seats and looked into it at least that far. I guess they listed the A55 Handling Package because they wanted to show off the sunburst rims. In my book it shows that also included wider 6.5" wheels though. The A56 package shows 15x7's. That may have been for B-bodies though. I've always wished those wheels were 15x7. One of these days I'm going to pay somebody to cut those centers out and stick them in some 17" hoops. A beautiful wheel design, like many Chrysler wheels from the era, but entirely too small and skinny.

On another note of early car strangeness which was always what I concentrated on when I myself was younger, I had an conversation with my daughter's teacher last week. He's also a Mopar Man and told me of the 76 R/T he had in the day. A typical black 360 Superpak but with a moonroof. I have a couple of those but where his got interesting was in telling of his pewter seat inserts! I have yet to see an original set of these, ever. They were only available until February 76, and yet all the early 76's I've ever owned or seen were regular black centers. So they could not have been typical of all early seats although the period documentation appears to claim that. But the interesting part is that the Superpak wasn't released until March. Which would mean to me that his was built within a very small window of time where parts stock of timeline incompatible items where available simultaneously. Now that would have been cool to see! Unfortunately that car no longer remains. Like most of the rest of them it suffered it's rusty fate by the late 80's. He still show's his purchased new orange 70 Challenger R/T though.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Junior Member bbeep79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Rattle,
    From what I make of it, the W25 aluminum wheels were standard on the A57 road runner package, other wheels being available as a credit item.

As the Volare and Aspen were new in '76, and offered simultaneously with the Valiant and Dart they were meant to replace, they were at first an oddity in that respect. I remember they were big news when they were introduced, as a small car with the big car ride, due to the front suspension, and other design aspects of the car. I think the early examples of these cars could be quite interesting, as they were a bit of a testing ground to lure customers in for a look, and purchase this new offering from Chrysler. They did create quite a bit of excitement as they were named Motor Trend's 'Cars of the Year' for 1976.
    It's hard to say what oddities may have been turned out from the factories. I remember reading in Lee Iacocca's book, that when he became President of Chrysler, he was surprised how each division of the company operated as their own 'fiefdom' doing things as they saw fit, and in his eyes, a bit chaotic. It would be great if a detailed history on this time period at Chrysler, and these cars specifically, were created, though I believe that production records from this time were destroyed almost as soon as they were created. Recollections from assembly line employees from the time could also be very interesting, as to how things were handled at the plants. Maybe much information could be obtained from the Data and Trim selector books, and other factory literature from the time, and be compiled into an interesting history of the F-Bodies, along with photos from the time, and surviving examples of today. I'm sure there were some odd examples produced along the way. Maybe an official register of these cars could be created?
    Always one bad decision away from a good time.