Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: t bar poly bushing issue

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

t bar poly bushing issue

Has anyone that has used poly bushings for the torsion bar pivot mount had any issues with them? I have one that is squeezing out of the bracket and looks damaged. I will take a pic tomorrow.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:08 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got a poly bushing in the left bar only (right bar was NOS) but it looks fine yet. It did come with a wider upper plate (Firm Feel) but don't know if that would have anything to do with it squeezing out or not.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't inspected underneath lately, but I have poly in mine for the last about 30,000 miles. No symptoms of anything. I think they are Firm Feel, but I'm not certain. I got some of my front parts before I found out about Firm Feel.

United States
    Thanks
    pic, it is actually worse then the pic shows I guess because of the angle. It`s noisy too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bush.jpg  
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:10 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    79, got a pic of the Firm feel one? You want to sell it? I`m not sure I want to use the same brand again.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:09 AM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I got some from Polybushings .com and they didn't stay the same size as the bars or mounting clamp while in storage. They grew! The hole in the middle and the whole part became a larger diameter over time. I don't know what happened, if maybe it's a material characteristic? Maybe yours also grew and they're squeezing out? I duno. But I'm too freaked out to use the ones I have had on the shelf for 3yrs. Mine are bright blue tho. I didn't order them to be colored, they just came in that way. For all I know they mark lot age by color of product.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Now you got me worried. I have polybushings.com on my volare build. I may have to switch them to firm feel. At first i was thinking maybe the bushing reacted to the grease but if yours grew from sitting then something is wrong for sure. When I ordered mine i told him I wanted black ones.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:14 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a couple photo's, one on the car and the other is what came in the kit. IIRC the plates came with them, I may have ordered them separate also, don't remember exactly. It's been in there since 2015 and still looks the same as when I put it in. The rubber one I had originally when I overhauled the bar squeezed out like your poly one and "clunk, clunk, clunk". Goes to show, NOS (the rubber bushing) doesn't necessarily mean good or usable. It basically destroyed itself in a few hundred miles.

The upper plates are wider than stock because the bushing is also wider and gives it better support. I see in your pic the bushing is folding over the edge of the plate, which may be part of the problem.

JMO, the only color poly bushings should be is black. not red, not blue, not yellow,,,,,,just black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00348.jpg   DSC00349.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:13 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    other end
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bush2.jpg  

United States
    Thanks
    BTW, the firm feel bushing has a much sharper edge the polybushings have a rounded edge from what i can see. How does the grease fitting work? If you put it in the shell then it only greases the outer part of the bushing. Am I not seeing something?
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:27 AM.