Thread: Donít give up

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks

Donít give up

Hello from Portland, OR.-
    My name is Dan and Iím the proud new owner of a 1978 Volare sedan. Itís my first slant six and I am stoked!

There are two puzzles I am working on now with the car:

1. The horn pad is bad and I would like to get that operational.

2. The door weatherstripping seals are brittle and cracking and allow water to get in.

If anyone has suggestions for where to find a red with wood grain horn pad or has info for the best supply house for the door seals, please let me know.

I am thankful to be part of the aspen/Volare community, and look forward to meeting you.

Thanks!

All the best,

Dan

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome aboard! Door seals for a sedan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,far as I'm aware there are no repops made so, good used or improvise? Someone on here is sure to know more about sedan parts so, stay tuned. If it was a coupe, the seals are made but the quality is questionable. Better than nothing though.

Oh yeah, pictures. We like pictures
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, welcome aboard Dan. Let's go reverse order here. Sedan front doors are all the same. So while there aren't reproduction parts made, you can get all your front pieces from any M-body sedan, meaning 5th Ave, LeBaron, Diplomat, Gran Fury, clear through the end of production in 89. In the rear, the door is the same, however the framed in window area is not. So too the matching roof. However, what you can do, is use trim the seals down to fit your F-body. Because the difference is all in the rear of the frame. M is longer than F across the top to allow better entry and egress head room. Trim them and glue them back together with permanent black weatherstrip adhesive. If you need window channel felts in your actual rear doors, those can also be modified to work in a similar manner. I may even have some nos felt wipes for across the ledges of doors at the bottom of glass, but I'd have to physically check because I know those aren't in inventory yet. It didn't look like any kind of fun getting into them last time I was working in that area.

To the horn pad. How is it possible that a boomerang wheel could go bad? I understand the silk screened woodgrain wasn't very durable against constant handling. It's not easy to find a nice one today. I've seen everything from wood grain contact paper to carbon fiber appearing tape laid onto them or even the aluminum carefully polished to make a nice appearance again. But a non-functional pad seems very strange. We are surely able to help you figure it out with more details. But firstly let's be certain that it is a pad problem. If you disconnect the wire and touch it to the grounded center shaft of the column, does that blow the horn? If so, it's a pad problem, but if not I'd be guessing a possible column ground problem or power to the wire. If it doesn't blow by wire check to make sure the wire has power. If you have power to the wire check it to a grounded jumper wire as you may have a column grounding issue. I seem to recall a 76 service bulletin on column grounding issues and have found ground jumpers on several columns over the years on other year cars too. If you have power and an actual pad problem, I believe I have a couple red ones, but of course while functional their woodgrain boomerangs aren't likely to be any better than your own. So check into what your issue exactly is with the horn, from the horn itself to the wiring and eliminate the unknowns.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    usually the problem with the boomerang pads is that the foam disintegrates and the horn will either go off randomly or just stay on. If this happens then someone probably unplugged the horn, the relay, or somewhere else in the circuit.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine is a three spoke wheel, but my foam was turned to dust. I rebuilt the pads. My foam choise wasn't perfect so I have to push a bit extra to get the horn to blow, but it works. If your pad turns out to be the issue we can talk more about what I did.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    nos part numbers for door w/strip 3875392 3875393 3875444 3875445 probably near impossible to find

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    3 spokes are notorious for going off randomly. I found that a cigarette box thickness piece of paper under the offending mount screw fixes that.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess I have to check my horn system as well. Needed to coach a driver today who stopped in the right lane just past an intersection in order to cut everyone off by pulling a U-turn across the left lane and across the center left only lane. They almost wrecked a half dozen cars. Fortunately I had the window down so I could use sign language in place of the horn.

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for the help, all!
    I really appreciate it.

Iíll post photos soon-

All the best