Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: WHAT kind of Project?

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There is a physical bond kit out there that has tabs that fit between the rim lip and tire. But before I drop 160 on it, I need to do some more research.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51P3arMzogL._AC_.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	6465

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    I didn't look into the product further, it's just an exterior stick on? I ran into the same problem with the stick on front spoiler on my Charger not holding on. But I kinda figured this would be like a piece of small diameter tubing with a split down it and you shoved into the rim bead. That would actually work. But trying to put a simple piece of vinyl to the outside of a rim? Pinstripe time.
    The one in the picture uses a 3M pressure applied tape. It is split like a "door edge trim" with pull tape one side.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	6466
    Last edited by Stalkervette; 2 Days Ago at 08:02 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    My buddy just told me he thought the morning dew messed up the bonding process. That kind of makes sense since the vehicles outside are dripping wet in the morning.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've run into stick on things like that before. They make a good product but then cheap out on the tape and use some inferior product rather than a quality tape like 3M. I'll never understand that.

Same applies to things that are mechanically fastened. Top notch product and then they supply el cheapo Chinese fasteners with it. What about electrical items. Seems the terminals supplied are always those cheap crimp terminals from Harbor Freight instead of a quality terminal with heat shrink insulators. Why do companies do things like that? First thing we do at work is throw the supplied terminals and connectors in the trash and get some good ones from the (in our case) Wurth cabinet. Guess this really should have been in the Rant and Rave section, lol.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Days Ago at 09:31 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't even trust 3M tapes anymore. I've had more lifting and paint creep, etc than ever before in the past couple years. I'm just hoping that continuing to trust that if it says not only 3M but also Scotch Brand, it will remain good. I'm pretty sure we've already had this conversation Ranting and Raving...
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Part of the problem is that China produces all kinds of counterfeit product. I'm sure they make "3m tape". They make "Exedy" clutches, "Cisco" routers, "iphones", pretty much anything you can think of. But instead of a quality product with that name you get quality like that dog food a few years ago made from news paper and lead. They have a thriving cooking oil market over there. Trouble is the oil is recovered from the sewer and filtered out so it looks decent again. No kidding, I've seen video of it. They've bought off all the politicians so that there is no standards at the import docs.

United States
    Thanks
    It doesn`t even have to be counterfeit. Over the years the cost savings from these companies are so much it basically causes/forces them to use China crap instead of staying with the quality product that we once knew so well. If the name alone makes them more money and the companies get away with a inferior product and only lose a few customers then they make out. Greed rules in this world like it or not.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 1 Day Ago at 04:28 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Called racing to the bottom.

I wish I could pay more for a solid product, but they are almost all gone.

United States
    Thanks
    I like most everyone saw 3M as the leader with tapes, but I've heard Frog tape by far surpasses 3M. I'll need to see if they make double sided tape.

Name:	71tzdL3YpQL._AC_SX569_.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	6470

United States
    Thanks
    This week I'll talk with the guy who did the vinyl on the bedside to see if he can do a vinyl "pinstripe" on the rims.