Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHAT kind of Project?

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

WHAT kind of Project?

A Full Custom Radical Mustang.

II

So this is me giving notice that no matter what else you enjoy, for so long as I own this website you're welcome to post any project that you're working on.

Yep. I came to hate what a Mopar Purist I've become about cosmetic appearances and need to let some creativity out. I cannot possibly change how I feel about our cars and how they should look if I own them. Not to say that I don't have the utmost respect for those who modify appearances, but I just can't do it myself. So I chose the creative subject to be a car like the one which introduced me to how cool our F-bodies truly are. It was a Wicked Cobra-II that an older high school guy was washing in his back yard as I passed on my bike one day that led me to see what he was doing and discover the Awesome 77 Superpak t-bar Roadrunner sitting next to it. That Roadrunner shaped my life thru other cars, and I did own that one too a few years later. I've never been without a performance variant F-body at any time in my life since my first. I've always concentrated on the 360 cars. But I've never had one of the cars that introduced me to them. After nearly four years of a friend sending me pix and links from around the eastern half of the country we finally found the perfect one priced right. Solid but not so much I'd feel guilty. Clean and not a headache to start on my journey with. Filthy and not priced at the 2X it could have been with a simple bath and very little more work. You gota Love a flipper who is content to take his cut and keep moving while leaving enough $ on the table for the next guy to make those moves.

So you've got that it's a Cobra-ii. Specifics are that it's a spring 77 black and gold with the blacked out trim and Deluxe door panels only typical to those. A non matching earlier 302 dressed in 60's performance goodies. 4spd, of Course! (for now) cuz it's a Rad4 that won't take my plans for long. No frills or extra stuff that I've come to enjoy so much in my Mopars. Just a bare bones platform to modify. And it was also a previously restored car that had been neglected while the P'PO raised a family long enough to realize it wouldn't last til he got back around to it. Once again, back to it's solid condition. Being due to great care at least during most of it's life before it stopped being subjected to the rigors of duty.

I've got a ton of pix of as delivered out of the NY PA NJ border area for less than I could have made the round trip at this time of year last year, and the excrutiatingly slow work and mods so far. But I'll begin with that and also a few teases of what's going on in making it mine. And the ultimate expression of Mustang Heritage combining old and new cues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 119202.jpg   108580.jpg   20190310_172331.jpg   MiiMock1.jpg   C2MachTail1.jpg   20191217_173414.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice! I just picked up a 2009 300 to take up the slack of my other cars having troubles. I need one that *isn't* a project...

Do we have a thread around here for projects that aren't F? Maybe we should have one.

P.S. I don't understand your hood and trunk fitment. Is that a trim level thing or are you doing something radical?

United States
    Thanks
    Great project, looking forward to seeing your progress.

United States
    Thanks
    You're welcome to post whatever project you're working on in this section. Not that this is goinig to turn into Mustang and Volare or anything. But I see a Pontiac Tempest post in the FMJ project section receiving some support from others and just got to thinking how we're all car guys and have interests that extend beyond F-bodies. I'm hopeful that we also all have a respect for those other things and remain supportive of each other in those interests here too. So I'll test those waters by posting mine.

Yeah, the hood and tail are already mocked up for modification. Can't weld the tail up yet because these share the same problem of an early F-body Mopar. They came with hump tanks too. Can't run duals out under the bumper unless you shotgun them down the passenger side. So I've just now taken a break from writing this to help the UPS guy offload my new different year trunk pan that will mount a 20 gallon flat tank giving me 4-1/4" between the springs on each side. I just checked the dimensions of other years til I found one that would work and ordered the parts for that instead of what I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trunk1.jpg  
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 12-20-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There is a HUGE Cobra II community in Medina county, may be a good source for parts or info. Some of the builds are insane with huge blowers out of the hoods. I'm sure you know about them on the NEO forums. I'm anxious to watch the build.

By the way - I'm painting the front door of the house today since it will be in the 60's. Christmas will only be around 70, but we'll try to get by. Just FYI my NEO brother (North East Ohio for people not familiar with the acronym).

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkervette View Post
    There is a HUGE Cobra II community in Medina county, may be a good source for parts or info. Some of the builds are insane with huge blowers out of the hoods. I'm sure you know about them on the NEO forums. I'm anxious to watch the build.

By the way - I'm painting the front door of the house today since it will be in the 60's. Christmas will only be around 70, but we'll try to get by. Just FYI my NEO brother (North East Ohio for people not familiar with the acronym).
    I just got back from guiding a Christmas tour through my local honey hole and it's a comfortable 29 degrees here!

Also, Yeah, John with the big blue blower ii and I talk regularly. I swear I see those big green injector snake eyes in places they actually aren't at this point cuz I've seen that car so much! I met him a couple years before I found the right car. But I haven't made it down for one of his parties yet. Of course he did his hunting at the dealership and is the original owner of that one too. It's actually identical to what I wanted in being blue and white but after a while that became a lot less important since he already has such a nice one in those colors. There is a very large NEO community around them too.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Only other automotive projects I have are the '96 Dakota and the project with that one is just making a valiant attempt to stay ahead of the rust to get at least a couple more years out of it. It runs. shifts, drives, stops perfectly, everything works and the interior is still very nice shape. It's the 23 winters that have taken a toll.

Other so called project is my summer only '08 Mustang. Needs absolutely nothing but I've been slowly "upgrading" it with things like the Pony Pkg grille and fog lights and now some aftermarket interior chrome accents for the center stack so it doesn't look so plain. Want to also replace the shifter with the higher trim level one which looks MUCH better. It is a base trim level car after all. Only options it really has is a 5 speed automatic, sequential rear signals and a single disc AM/FM/single CD stereo (which may have been standard), remote keyless locks and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00338.jpg   DSC00339.jpg   DSC00367.jpg   DSC00368.jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nice looking old Cobra Matt! A good friend of mine use to have one back in the mid 80"s. If memory serves me correct it was the white and blue version. I think it was a 78 though. Correct me if I'm wrong, meaning did they have a Cobra II in 78?. I think they did. His came with the 302. Still blew his doors off with the 77 R/T. lol well maybe not his doors but at least a mirror. He had put that same kind of paint scheme and what you have taped off. I bet he wishes he still had that old beater.
    Some of you might know what I've been spending my extra change on lately well the last couple of years since I re-activated it again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tow rig.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	6211
    1980 roadrunner

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    A friend of mine back in the very early '80's had a '78(?) Mustang II Mach 1. I guess for it's era it was quick with the 302. If memory serves, it was silver with blue stripes. Sharp looking car. On the other end of it, a different friend had a '74 Mustang II notch back with a 2.8 and automatic. To call it slow would be an insult to slow cars. Funnily enough it had a factory true dual exhaust but a reverse to low,,,,,,,,,,on gravel,,,,,,,,,,wouldn't even turn a tire, seriously. Pathetic, lol.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Man it's really Great to see that Charger again Kent! How's that coming along?

The Mach 1 was still pretty cool by the mid 70's but I just had to have a Cobra-II. Everything was detuned in our era and we'd be foolish not to admit it. The manufacturers gave us building blocks and parts counters. That's our claim to fame no matter the brand. Cool Cars and Dealer available Performance! My ii is all dressed out in Parts Counter Performance in addition to it's stickers. Unlike the bone stock 140HP regular V8 2bbl Mustang-II that could only beat a 318 powered Mopar F-body by power to weight in being 500 lbs lighter, mine was made to do what the 302 does well. Rev high and fast with power. The best intake ever factory made, lopey cam I haven't pulled open to get specs on cuz it sounds and runs great, Holley Carb that does what it does absolutely best when tuned correctly, and Hookers too. It would not surprise me to be .030 over and the compression sure doesn't sound smog era on cranking either. These little things would take your lunch money all along with their light weight not seen since a pre crash bumper A-body Mopar. Now it's absolutely true that those Mopars are crude in their application of their weight and the F-body is far superior in ride and handling. But the ii was built to be something different and it's spritely wheelbase makes the best of it. Although among my modification's I'll be adding just over 7" to the wheelbase of my own for better stability and weight bias while power is the least of my worries unless the cage is heavier than I expect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181209_160243.jpg  
    Volare Magnet