Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WHAT kind of Project?

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The 300 ran great for a while. Then when I was 2000 miles from home and right around 8mile in Detroit it decided not to charge.

Limped it back home via the parts store. Lights off at night to conserve battery works alright on I-75 because it's so well lit.

Fought the OE fasteners until they came out and swapped the alternator. Worried about it the whole way back as I don't trust parts store alternators after swapping a half dozen times on the Volare.

Made it.

Also, didn't check the oil for the entire 4000 miles of trip because the dipstick is made of plastic and I pulled the head off it the first try. (Not counting the purchase inpsection)

United States
    Thanks
    glad you made it home safely

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I wasn't doubting safely, but it could have been a lot less comfortable. The worst of it was the delay and that steel bolts in aluminum for 10 years don't really want to come out.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Got to love dissimilar metals when you add an electrolyte (salt water) and poof,,,,,,,,,,instant battery and corrosion.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Thankfully no salt in it's life.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Going back to Trap's original posts with the Mustang II, happened to run across this on CL of all places.

https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/...035819515.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mustang II.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	6222
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    Going back to Trap's original posts with the Mustang II, happened to run across this on CL of all places.
    They made like 4X or more the M-II's as Aspens and Volare coupes. It's pretty hard to find one that's particularly rare even today. While our Mopars have so many rare variants as manufactured or as remaining. But that was kind of the point in taking something that's pretty cool as made and yet a dime a dozen, not the one you posted LOL!, and just do what I want. I'll share a couple pix of more recent progress later. But like anything old it's a matter of waiting on parts. At least they make them though even if there's occasional spotty availability. When they run out they still take your back order with knowledge it will be filled.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    My favorite Mustang II (IIRC)was the 76 Cobra II package on hatchbacks that came in White w/Blue stripes and Black w/Gold stripes.

United States
    Thanks
    I always like the 76 Spring Special best with the reversed colors LeMans striping. Blue with white. But it's one of those things where the more I find out, the less I know. Like as I was always told all 77's were black with gold LeMans, except the Spring Specials when the Billboards came out and were made in several colors, just like the 78 Kings were available in several colors and the Billboard cars didn't even require a V8 to wear the Cobra name at that point. And there's like 3 or 4 different colors of billboards. But sort of like how Mopar dropped the V8 as the base engine in the A57 package for 79. But now I see there were LeMans cars made in both black and white with red stripes, and green ones too! And red with white stripes. Like, what happened to the rules "everybody knew"? Ford had already pulled their C-II program in house before Motortown collapsed in the Pontiac fiasco and I still don't know what happened and when at Chrysler, but it sure seems that rules got tossed out the window at some point. We know they got tossed in January of 77 at Mopar by the existence of the wrong color Superpak cars. I don't know man. I'm just happy with what I have.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Alright so here's where I left off. Gettin CaRazay! Test fitting my slightly narrowed 71 trunk floor. Now I know it would be cheaper to just go fuel cell like a lot of guys, but my whole aim is to use actual production parts here and make them fit. Not like it's too challenging. One is nearly the same as the next. A couple inches this way or that, but all pretty close. Just a matter of finding the best fit. And since everything is available, they just give you the dimensions and you already know! So as it turns out, the big fat 71-73 has about the same rear overhang as a II but just has a wider butt. Well my girl guna have a big ole midwestern corn fed butt too, but its guna be full figure curvy and petite like all graceful sculpture I like in the flesh.
    Anyways, I digress.
    While I could get the floor and tank,they sent the wrong straps which were labelled wrong as being correct, and I couldn't get the rear cross rail. So, Stuck. Without the crossrail to mount a gas tank, I dont know where the rest goes. And her hips have to fit her tail or it doesn't work for me. The mfg was out of cross rails and I couldn't even place a back order. Until I called. And in talked with the rep he forced a back order into the system saying there was already a west coast store customer on back order and mine would help get new stamping created faster. Got my rail today! I can place the tank on a Jack for location but now I'm just waiting on straps and the first mod is ready for full perimeter welding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191220_185904.jpg  
    Volare Magnet