Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rattle Traps

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wish you would have followed me from NEO to GA!

You could dig me a pond

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stalkervette For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (07-05-2020)

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I cleaned the moss and lichens off this morning. Figured out the carb is pretty simple. And the old man who had it didn't realize a self energizing GM alternator doesn't charge until you rev the engine over 1500 rpm. It's got a 2,000 redline so that's pretty wound up for this thing. Solved that one with just some sense.

Took it over for some work digging on a stump and it performed well as a tractor this size should.

Then went back a couple hours later to see if it would start again. You know, make sure it was charging the battery. Fired right up! And two seconds later the 63 year old radiator sprung a leak. Not so unexpected I guess. I noticed it was running about 225 while working the hoe. Best to get this fixed now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200705_160029.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Since you can never leave anything alone, are you going to reshoot the original IH paint or keep the patina?

Is the bucket in good shape?

United States
    Thanks
    I've always had a greater appreciation for nice patina tractors. As long as they aren't too rough. Going to repaint the grille white since somebody shot it red right over the white that's coming back thru, at some point long ago. Then throw some dull clear over that. There's several places where it could benefit from having some dull red misted back over it too. Like the top of the boom. Have to see about color matching that in Rustoleum to go over their Rusty Metal Primer. Not sure what is about that stuff but it holds great for a very long time outdoors right over rusty metal. And I truly don't see myself disassembling and blasting the pieces of this thing for a proper restoration.

Both buckets are good although there is a small break in the front one needing welded back together. I haven't really used the front bucket yet since I haven't removed the forks yet. But I would like to make it wider if the HP will lift it. It's just a Utility tho, not a construction grade tractor. It's got a trenching rear bucket on it and came with a 2nd wider bucket too. I have to go back for a 2nd set of rear wheels yet that come with it too. Field and road tires instead of these mudders. They won't tear my yard up so bad, but these will be nice in the winter.

I figured out that the radiator issue is just a good sized pinhole in the seam of the top tank. Currently have the antifreeze out and engine flush in before taking the rad out for a proper repair. But now I can't run it because I've drained the nasty milkshake out of all 3 reservoirs. That's a Lot of fluid! Then I'll be replacing 8 hoses which have seepage and flushing those and the cylinders into even more old hyd fluid buckets rather than waiting to get sprayed down with scalding oil while I'm trying to work.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Just guna drop this here. Did work today worth sharing again, finally.

Today was the only day with the weather left to sand blast comfortably. So I taped a tarp into Dixie and got busy. Used my compressor rebuild times to mow the lawn about 8 swipes at a time. I'm still hillbilly compensating for real electricity with a generator to run a 120V 21 gal HF compressor jacked into the good Speedaire 130 tank since I don't have enough power to fire the old beast. This new HF 20 or 25 gal, whatever it is, Sandblaster really works nicely with the throttle valves set to run at 90 psi on my limited rebuild capacity. We do what we have to do to move forward. One of these days I'm going to spring for that new pole and newly relocated main service that makes 240V a real possibility to the shop!

Got everything done with the car and was back on the mower nearly completing the entire center yard section front to back before the pouring rain and hail moved in. But with the high winds I was able to get back out and finish that section after just over an hour and of course got soaked to the bone a 2nd time! At least I'd managed to shower off the sand blasting gook in the meanwhile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 201201110_200235.jpg   20201023_155050.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, you sandblasted the floors right off the car, lol!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Lol! It just seemed easier to replace the entire floor pan since there were multiple oddly located issues from the leaky moonroof. Just go to the factory seams and call the entire job done with nothing but a bunch of clamps and rosette welds. Sure a lot easier than working with a car that rotted from the bottom up. Or doing half a dozen spot repairs.

But the big hold up has been my ability to blast the mating points clean for the installation of the fresh pan. This new little blaster really solved that dilemma. Despite the small compressor, jacking it inline thru the big tank and starting with 150 gal of air at nearly the 130psi shut off while having the blaster throttled with the valves and running only 90psi thru the shop regulator, allowed me to run the tank to where I could feel it was nearly empty and reload then take breaks for other jobs while it was rebuilding pressure. It really felt like I was spending more time blasting than doing those other things although I didn't time it other than roughly about how long I had to work then suit back up to play in the sand. I think the cool breezy weather helped the little compressor a lot. I was only getting down just under 70 psi by the time the tank was starting to run dry each time. I'm really happy with how it went. Sure not the same as barely having time to reload a 120 lb. blaster without the big compressor shutting off like at the old shop, always bad cuz then it doesn't kick back on til 90 psi again, but I had a smooth transition between this and that and got it done. Despite taking longer just as much got done in the overall time. And this little blaster sure seems to make less mess of everything else in the area too.

So with that finally completed, she swept it out while I got other last minute outdoor work done yesterday. Now to etch and POR15 all the currently accessible places that won't be with a floor in there. Then we can really get to work on making this something again!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    The only problem I had with the red sandblaster like you have is mine keep getting too much moisture in the line and the darn thing kept clogging. I had a water filter on the air line but it was making too much water.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I had the same problem with my blast cabinet. Even with dual water separators, kept getting water, especially when blasting for long periods. Naturally, it was much worse in the summer. Bigger problem was water while painting and that can ruin your day real quick! The water traps were right next to the compressor, about a foot away from the outlet. Since I moved them about 25 feet away by running an air hose from the compressor to the traps, no more water problems. Guess it has something to do with the air cooling over the distance, from what I was told(?)
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I was pushing plenty of hot water out of that little 21 gal compressor. Haven't had issue with it because of where it goes next. Into one end of a 6ft long 130gal tank. Then up 6ft in a 1" line that once horizontal is still sloped well back at the tank as it rises 6" in 12ft across the room. Then it's downhill 6ft to the traps. Bottleneck down to 1/2" for the regulator out the back side of 2nd one. Having length and diameter, sloping, and Bottleneck placement has always worked real good for me. If only I had enough juice!

Got the pan cleaned up too since Sunday was only threatening to rain. Blaster kept clogging on crushed shells in the play sand since I still can't get blasting sand. Eventually the cheap adaptor fitting gored on the nozzle nut. A little quick thinking led me to adapt old air chucks for nozzles instead. The bigger diameter used air and sand a lot faster but I got the job done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201025_172204.jpg   20201025_172352.jpg  
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:37 AM.
    Volare Magnet