Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Birthday aspen79

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    When I go in for my yearly doctors check up, they always ask if I exercise and I tell them yes, everyday at work. Probably walk at least a couple miles, do weight lifting, squats, do curls.........................Not to mention what I do when I get home or on weekends around here. Nothing like lifting the 20" wheels and tires back onto a pickup (even better if it's got load range E tires). "Lift with your legs" they say. I say "how the bleep are you going to lift a wheel and tire off the floor with your legs?" Can't be done. Can't forget the times when you have to sacrifice yourself to get the job done. Like when you KNOW your knuckles are going to get gouged and blood will flow, or you ARE going to get burned, but there's no other way to get done what you need to do. Guess that's why auto tech's get paid the big bucks

You're right about when we were young and could tear a car down and have it on the road in a week or two. Young body works faster but the quality and details of the car were not exactly great. Took me over 10 years to get my Aspen back on the road (after it sat with a dead trans for 7 or so years while life got in the way). The reason wasn't so much getting older as it was I wanted it to be a s perfect as I could make it doing everything myself (other than block/head machining and replating the bumpers) at home. It also helped a lot that, unlike the 1st time I built the car in '89 it was on a tight budget (basically no budget) and this time there was a budget, although that added to the build time also. I refused to build it using credit, only charging as much per month as I could pay when the bill came. Only exception was when I got the stroker kit. Anyways, age gives you aches and pains, also makes you wiser, you've made the mistakes when younger and learned from them and financial responsibility plays a big role too. As much as I love the car and building it, the mortgage always came first! Oh yeah, one other thing that makes projects take longer. Way back when I could work on a project until the wee hours of the morning, go to bed, get up at 5:30 am for work and do it all over again the next night. Now I'm lucky if I can keep my eyes open until 9pm, LOL.
    Last edited by aspen79; 02-16-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Get yourself a Fitbit. My wife just got me one a while back. I average over 5 miles with 9 hours of "activity" and 12,000 steps per work day. I usually burn nearly 3,000 calories and still average out at almost 10,000 steps/day for the whole weeks. It's kinda interesting to keep track of my heart and activity levels, even though I don't actually "exercise".
    Volare Magnet