Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garage A/C

United States
    Thanks
    I don`t know much about the air conditioners. I had some issues with my camper roof top a/c not working and the start capacitor was bad on the one. I think some have a combo start and run capacitor and some have the start and run capacitor separately.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what I'm thinking here. It's starting and then the run capacitor part is just shutting the whole thing off again as soon as the load builds. Not necessarily an overload, but just typical modern garbage components trying to run a sturdier piece of equipment.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I was out fu,,,,,,,,,I mean messing around with the A/C again yesterday. I turned it on and paid close attention. Compressor ran for almost 5 minutes but it sounded like it was working harder and harder until it shut off, then the fan shut off a minute later. I left it alone and after a few minutes, the compressor came back on, then the fan and ran a couple minutes. Same thing, you can hear the compressor sounding like either the compressor itself is seizing up, or the compressor motor. Either way, I've officially declared it dead. I mean, it's "ONLY" 35+ years old so I can't imagine why it would be worn out. Why was I messing with it yesterday? Well, it was about 90 degrees and the humidity was 80-90% so, what else are you going to do on a day like that except sit around and sweat? It's still only 68 in the garage though and, according to the humidity meter, under 30%. Glad I insulated and sealed it so well when it was built! This week though, no worries. High 70's-low 80's and humidity essentially nonexistent so screw you broken A/C! LOL
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-27-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe the expansion orifice is plugged and it builds more and more pressure on the high side until some safety kicks in. Rafiki says, "Doesn't matter it's in the past." I think this A/C is beyond need of effort.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a possibility also and it did cross my mind. I'm one of those people that always wants to know what failed, even if it can't be repaired or isn't worth being repaired. It's just one of those things
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Me, too.