Thread: Garage A/C

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Garage A/C

A couple days ago the A/C in the garage gave up the ghost. The past couple weeks it was working overtime, what with all the heat and humidity. It's a Fedders I bought used around 1991 so figured it had a good run and probably time to replace it. However, again due to the hot weather the past couple weeks, trying to find an A/C unit (especially in the dimensions I need) is like trying to find a virgin in the maternity ward at the hospital. Problem is, the fan would run if you jump started it by hand but the compressor is a no show.

A little on-line research and it seems that a compressor failure is very uncommon and the starting capacitor is a more likely the cause for the symptoms, more so when the fan deal is added to the mix. Pulled it apart and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I believe I may be on to something. The black soot on the capacitor can't be a good thing, and it has no continuity between any of the terminals. Found the correct one on Ebay and it's on it's way. Once installed, we'll see what happens. If it works, GREAT! If not, oh well. A $20 capacitor is better than a $400 unit that no body has anyways. Wish me luck it works!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00450.JPG   DSC00449.JPG  
    Last edited by aspen79; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:32 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver