Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage A/C

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Garage A/C

A couple days ago the A/C in the garage gave up the ghost. The past couple weeks it was working overtime, what with all the heat and humidity. It's a Fedders I bought used around 1991 so figured it had a good run and probably time to replace it. However, again due to the hot weather the past couple weeks, trying to find an A/C unit (especially in the dimensions I need) is like trying to find a virgin in the maternity ward at the hospital. Problem is, the fan would run if you jump started it by hand but the compressor is a no show.

A little on-line research and it seems that a compressor failure is very uncommon and the starting capacitor is a more likely the cause for the symptoms, more so when the fan deal is added to the mix. Pulled it apart and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I believe I may be on to something. The black soot on the capacitor can't be a good thing, and it has no continuity between any of the terminals. Found the correct one on Ebay and it's on it's way. Once installed, we'll see what happens. If it works, GREAT! If not, oh well. A $20 capacitor is better than a $400 unit that no body has anyways. Wish me luck it works!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00450.JPG   DSC00449.JPG  
    Last edited by aspen79; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:32 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Good Luck!

I did a little work in my garage today and it was just tolerable. I have an in/out fan in one of my windows with a thermostat that helps quite a bit. I'm seriously thinking about getting a small AC unit. Nothing is worse than sweating on a clean car

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The start capacitor is by very far the most likely cause. The possible bad news is that if it tries to turn on and fails to rotate because of the bad cap then it may burn up the windings in the motors if it doesn't have some sort of smarts to avoid this. Also, the fan only goes if you give it a push is the gold standard tool-less test for start caps. You are on the right track to having it fixed when that cap shows up.

edit: This needing something to get it started is also why your window fan switch is "low, medium, high, off" instead off "off, low medium high". Going straight to high from off helps it get past that startup with a smaller (cheaper) start cap, or maybe no cap at all.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:23 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    I never thought about fans that go from off to high, then med and low before. Always thought it seemed odd and now it makes sense.

It isn't even so much the temp in the garage, I like to keep the humidity down and cool air is added bonus. I haven't had the garage open so it's still fairly cool inside (insulated really well) but it "feels" more humid. Not excessive, just more than usual.

With the weather we've had the past few weeks, A/C units and window fans are far and few between at the stores right now.
    Last edited by aspen79; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:27 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I wish I had continued to repair my old AC unit. The stuff they make today is designed to only last a few years then be more expensive to repair than it's worth.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    That's one of the reason's I used to see if I can fix my old unit. Just like the 'fridge in the house that still works fine, other than it doesn't self-defrost anymore. New one's just don't seem to last and also seem to be noisy. Mine is a Kenmore from the mid '70's I'd guess, going by the avocado green color (it came with the house) and it runs almost silent. A new one might use less electricity but I can buy a lot of electricity for the cost of a new fridge every ten years. Plus, both the A/C and the fridge were Made in the USA. New ones probably say China on them and are just pieces of Chinese crap.

United States
    Thanks
    My refrigerator is only a year or so old and the freezer light burned out. I bought a new one and it was $65 for a friggin light. It was led which is suppose to last a long time. HAHA

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The diode part of Light Emitting Diode lasts a really long time if you don't abuse it (run too much current through it). But LEDs are a Direct Current device so to use them in normal applications there is a power supply to convert the AC. That power supply is typically built with the cheapest crappiest components that can be located and no concern is given to things like temperature range or variance in supply voltage, current and noise during the design of that supply. So that supply dies right away. Spending 20% to 50% more on an LED light bulb would allow a design that would last 10 to 20 times longer. I would do it. We're just racing to the bottom on almost everything. I would gladly pay more for light bulbs that aren't crap. For tools that aren't crap. For cars that aren't crap. I'm not a monster, but I twisted the end right off a hand screw driver the other day putting a screw into wood. I didn't strip it, I sheared the entire tip off and it was still in the end of the screw. This was the "good" line of tools at Napa. But the next step up is Snapon and for that price I can't have them given how often my tools grow legs and walk off.

This was the rant thread, right?

United States
    Thanks
    I found out a long time ago that the standard Craftsman screwdrivers were crap. The tips are soft. I bought some Klein screwdrivers and I really like them. Now the HF screwdrivers are good for about three turns. LOL

United States
    Thanks
    One of the few tools that I can jusify the cost is phillips screwdrivers. For those I only buy Sanp-On. Otherwise Snap-On tools are just to darn expensive anymore. I mean, they are excellent tools, maybr the best but they're not THAT much better.