Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage A/C

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My new capacitor isn't here yet. Wish it was (and it actually fixed the A/C), was 86 and humid as all dirty word that begins with an "f" today, and they say it's going to get hot and humid tomorrow (GET hot and humid????). Still decent in the garage, haven't had it opened up except a couple days ago when it was only in the low 70's and humidity was essentially a non-issue. Dew points rising to the low 70's overnight with possible severe t-storms,,,,,,,,,,,,,I miss my air conditioning, sigh..............
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    A lot of issues with getting anything these days. Bunch of political bs. Starving us of necessary goods from blasting media to treated lumber and even capacitors. But i order stuff like that last from Grainger. They can still take care of their customers. For now.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Yep, never let a "crisis" go to waste...............
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the part came this afternoon in the mail. It wasn't made in USA but it wasn't made in China either(!) Made in Mexico. Anyways, hooked it up, flipped the breaker on and the fan started up, then I turned the temp knob, compressor came on and it blew cold air,,,,,,,,,,,,for about a minute. Then the compressor shut off and a minute later the fan shut off. Son of a. Gave it another look-see, and a few minutes later, flipped the breaker on again. Cold air, for about a minute and fan for another minute and then nothing. Guess it's time to throw in the towel. It was worth the $30 to see if it would work but looks like it's time to find a replacement unit. My GUESS is the compressor motor is drawing too much current and a thermal switch is shutting it down or something, but that doesn't explain why the fan shuts off also. Moot point, IT'S SHOT. Kind of bummed but hey, that's life, yes?

United States
    Thanks
    Now you have to live like the rest of us that suffer through the hot & humid summers out in the garage. LOL BTW, I have a fan in the corner at the ceiling and it does ok but when it is like it was today I would soak a shirt in about 10 minutes. I need to get a window a/c but I know that thing would have to run wide open all the time because of it not being air tight around the garage door.

United States
    Thanks
    It's still not too bad in the garage. As long as I keep it closed up, I'll get through the hot and humid days of summer. It's the humidity more than anything I try to keep out of the garage to minimize rust and corrosion. The cool temp is an added bonus. Now, if the heat went out in the winter,,,,,,,,,,,that'd be a different story! Way too much stuff that would be ruined by freezing in there but, I don't want to think about that time of year.

United States
    Thanks
    Well that sucks. Now I'm disappointed. Here I've been following along thinking you guys with your fancy screwdrivers could fix just about Anything!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    My home a/c blew a few capacitors then about a year later the compressor was toast.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    Well that sucks. Now I'm disappointed. Here I've been following along thinking you guys with your fancy screwdrivers could fix just about Anything!
    What I need is Doctor Who's sonic screwdriver, lol! I was suspect there was a reason the capacitor went out other than age. At least I didn't spend a ton of money on a chance.

United States
    Thanks
    Lol! Are you sure the new capacitor isn't under performing and kicking the whole thing out after a minute? I wouldn't trust Mexican made any further than Chinese.
    Volare Magnet