Thread: Lean burn replaced, now, no spark. Please help!

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks

Lean burn replaced, now, no spark. Please help!

Hey guys, Im really stuck here...My dad and I have a 1978 Aspen with a 318, and the lean burn was shot...sputtering, spitting, dying out at red lights...it was a mess. So, we replaced the 2bbl intake with a 4 barrel intake and carb, and replaced the lean burn distributor with one that has vacuum advance and the ignition module. But...Now we have no spark. None. Not only that, but when we ground the module, it has a direct short. We are both really disgusted with the whole project, and would appreciate any help or advice you could offer. We hooked everything up like the instructions said, but obviously we went wrong somewhere. We tried a new coil, and a new module as well, but nothing works. Please help!

United States
    Thanks
    is it wired like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    This document has a nice troubleshooting sequence. I used it to find out that my distributor pickup wire had opened internally mid span. Visual couldn't find it, but continuity testing per the document test list showed it up.

moparignition.pdf

I have a couple other docs from that same project that I can share if this one doesn't help.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:22 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    I am not certain, but I don't think so! I printed this out, and will show the guy who is supposed to help us this weekend. Thank you very much!

United States
    Thanks
    Ok, update guys!

Figured out that the fuel pump was bad, so we replaced that. Installed a new module, and got a spark- but still could not get the car running, even with spraying ether into the carb. Mechanic and I both kinda gave up this weekend and ordered a new HEI distributor, and we're waiting on that to come in. Then last night at work, I realized that while we were trying everything that we could think of, we didn't have the common sense to try the old coil that we thought was bad. So when I came home this morning, I switched out the coils, sprayed a little ether into the carb, and she fired right up! It runs wide open right now, and is obviously not in time, but the mechanic (my brother-in-law) is extremely good with carbs and will be over this weekend to smooth out the rough spots hopefully. We are more excited about this car than we have been in many months! Still a long way to go, as the interior is completely gutted- but we have everything we need to put it back together, with the possible exception of a couple cans of spray paint. Just wanted to update you guys, and thank you for all of your suggestions, and for the links and the help that you so freely offered. Thank you so much, and maybe we will post some pictures of the car when we get the wrinkles ironed out. Thanks again!

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool! You got a guy on hand that knows carbs, then you will have no trouble getting timing and mixture seesawed in. Brakes and cooling next. Good work.