Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all! 78 super coupe restroation

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks

Hello all! 78 super coupe restroation

Hello all, i am very excited to be finally working on my moms super coupe. Mom has had the car since 1980 and has sat the entire time unfortunately not inside for most of that time. I have heard the best stories come from this car and often times mom you sure you dont want to sell it? Well it has stayed its almost like family now, older than me could probably tell me stories hell i might have been conceived in this thing hahha. I will admit i am not much of an F body fan but man lately they have really lit a fire. Mom always said the car was so fast and fun! maybe its the recent victory i had with my 70 charger with getting it on the road that made me appreciate the pursuit of getting things working again, enjoying the cars and making new memories. If you guys have suggestions or places where i can get parts (in need of a engine wiring harness), sooo this is actually why car got parked dad changed distributors was messing with timing backfired and bam on fire and that was that never ran again. With my charger i literally just put new plugs, electroninc ignition , fuel system few minor things and car was alive. I am nervous with this one and may pull motor to rebuild but who knows may try and do the same. anyways hope everyone has a great day and share some cool Mopar stories! ps Heavy metal is what my mom always dreamed of having as a vanity plate for the car, im hoping to get it very solid in a 2yr time frame and gift it to her for Christmas

United States
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day 1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	6435

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome! For a sec I thought you might live real near me from the photo. Not so close, but only a couple hundred miles.

That's a great story and a great plan. I hope you can carry it out. Plenty of people around here willing to help.

United States
    Thanks
    Hey guys im getting pumped about this thing, i went and looked at a few things and am getting a handle of what the car actually is. i have the fender tag and found out general info but still unsure about a few things.
    1. is this a magnum 360?
    2.should the car have the fiberglass hood scoop hood? (car came like this in 81 when mom bought it steel hood factory paint matched, not satin black so something is up here)
    3. no differential info? i need to climb under to get tag but im pretty sure it is a Dana 60
    4. it has lean burn oe air cleaner lid ?
    here is a of fender tag any help would be greatly appreciated

W06 26 L1 17 623
    G11 G77 H51 M31 M43 N94
    RT9 U 1 A67 C16 C56
    RT9 C6X9 000 206 GC9230
    E58 D36 NL29 L8B 257869

United States
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAG (2).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	6436Click image for larger version. 

ID:	6436Click image for larger version. 

ID:	6436

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That is awesome you are doing this for your mom and a great back story!

This site is a good place for f-body knowledge and a source to find parts for your project.

United States
    Thanks
    Thank you, time to start giving back and get momma back her love. She must have a huge connection to keep holding onto that thing. believe its been parked since 86 or so ? she purchased in September of 81 from dealership for 4700 bucks. I found registration, so awesome 2% sales tax and $12 for registration man i wish these days could have stayed maybe not so much on the early 80s though hahah

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    COOL! Nice to see a Cherished car getting some long deserved love! From the looks of your being a high and dry climate, I'd assume this car is still in pretty nice shape metal wise too? Always a PLUS! From the weathering of the body I'd guess the cheap flat black paint that the original conversion company put on the completely painted cars as they had left Hamtramck is simply gone. Cars and Concepts actually just used gas grille paint since that was the cheapest stuff they could buy in drums.

This is the 2nd SC tag I've seen to have C6X9 where they're typically L6--. But it is pretty cool to have a black interior in a Dodge where they're usually tan. C16 console shift and H51 AC is always nice to have! The engine would be an E58 360HP followed by the D36 727 transmission. Her rear axle's a 8.25" 10 bolt unless it's been upgraded after delivery. Kinda looks like a Dana 44 I guess. It's most likely a Sure Grip so with it in the air both wheels will turn the same direction instead of oppositely, to test that. Would also have a rear sway bar and the wide rear spring perches sourced from the Tradesman van line.

By the VIN and your location it's hard to tell the actual build date without seeing the door jamb sticker if that's still legible. Western delivery Dodges were delayed by months from the February date shown on the tag as 206. I've actually only seen a single Dodge that was delivered to Tennessee which falls in the vin range of delayed cars that was built before April, while some were delayed clear into May. But based on another Dodge 73 units before this one, that door sticker should read in the lower left corner 0405--, with what I'm showing as -- being above 16, so on afternoon shift of April 5th, 1978.

As for parts to undertake this restoration, I could help I'm sure. But you'll find a closer option to be Deconstructor Jim in Arizona. Especially since shipping costs have gone out of control. If he doesn't have what you're after PM me or post and we'll see what can be done. I have many Super Coupe parts and even nice interior plastics that have been stored indoors for ages in my more gentle Ohio climate. I may even have a '78 AC underhood harness. Remove and replace is a couple hours worth of work but you can get it back on the road in a day if the engine is good to go. Since it's been off the road so long I would still recommend removing the engine and trans and replacing all the gaskets and seals first at the least. Ditch the Lean Burn ignition for a regular Mopar Electronic Conversion from Summit or somewhere while you have the distributor out to re-prime the oil pump. Unless this car is a California emissions unit which never had the Lean Boom to begin with.

Sounds like FUN! I'm really looking forward to reading of your progress with restoring this for your Mom and will help along with all the rest of the guys here who can as you go along.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:03 PM.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Can't wait to follow the progress!

BTW, guard that grille with your life, seriously. Unbroken ones are made from unobtainium.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    appreciate the posts guys ! The information i have been getting is awesome! Thank you. Yes car is in extremely good shape body wise just surface rust nothing to worry about that i have seen yet, car is structurally amazing. At one time it had an electronic conversion but will need to be replaced again. I plan on doing a reseal and inspection, new ignition, belts, cooling system, fuel system, brakes and suspension pieces then improve from there. I really just want it back on the road so Mom can enjoy then work on really making it nice. I do need a black center console door, tail light lenses and the center hood trim piece so far. I am very anxious to get working on the Aspen