Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aspen/Volare "K" Member Replacement

United States
    Thanks
    A PS steering box weighs about 40#. I wouldn`t think shipping would be to bad. Big packages is the killer for shipping costs. Mopars1 , What about a stock replacement box from a auto parts store? Lares or one of the other remans.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 01-19-2021 at 05:24 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't remember when I shipped my core back to FF but it wasn't too bad. SEEMS like it was $40ish(?)

Parts store reman boxes are usually quality lacking and may not improve the steering at all. Brand new, there was a big on-center dead spot and the remans tend to be even worse. With the stock original, but overhauled (a job I will NEVER do ever again!), the car was all but undriveable. Wander doesn't even begin to describe it. You had to anticipate curves and start turning before you were actually to the curve and then correct back and forth. A FF Stage 2 gear did the trick. Not cheap, but worth every dollar, IMO.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Sure the gear isn't bad to ship, but the K member is both heavy and large. Probably a freight only item.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    A PS steering box weighs about 40#. I wouldn`t think shipping would be to bad. Big packages is the killer for shipping costs. Mopars1 , What about a stock replacement box from a auto parts store? Lares or one of the other remans.
    I have a Firm Feel box in my car. I even took it back out and sent it in to them to see if there was a problem as the car was perfect until I hear a "pop" and then there was a lot of play in the steering again. I have all new replacement parts on the front end with polyurethane bushings throughout. They couldn't find anything wrong with the box and shipped it back to me. The only thing left I can think of is the k member.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    I don't remember when I shipped my core back to FF but it wasn't too bad. SEEMS like it was $40ish(?)

Parts store reman boxes are usually quality lacking and may not improve the steering at all. Brand new, there was a big on-center dead spot and the remans tend to be even worse. With the stock original, but overhauled (a job I will NEVER do ever again!), the car was all but undriveable. Wander doesn't even begin to describe it. You had to anticipate curves and start turning before you were actually to the curve and then correct back and forth. A FF Stage 2 gear did the trick. Not cheap, but worth every dollar, IMO.
    I had a parts store reman on the car previously and the car wandered as bad with it right out of the box as it does now and worse than the box I took off which was original and leaking all over the place. I decided not to rebuild it myself.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a FirmFeel Stage 3 and with the other front end changes (all FF) the car drive similar to a new car. Before the car floated like a boat.

If I were doing my build again I would have installed a rack and pinion.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    At work, we don't use parts store rebuilt steering boxes anymore. Of course, about the only thing that has them are older pickups nowdays. We had too many of them bad right out of the box (no pun intended), or leak, or fail in a month. Now it's authorized remanufactured from the dealer or nothing at all. Sure, the parts store boxes have a warranty but only on the part (we have to eat the labor) and customer satisfaction takes a dive. Power steering pumps are in the same category except with those, new is the option. Same goes for engines and transmissions, authorized reman or nothing. Like Tommy Boy said, "I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, but in the end, all you've got is a guaranteed piece of sh*t". So true.

Don't forget, there's a huge difference between rebuilt and remanufactured. Funny part is, the reman parts aren't much more money than a parts store rebuilt and in some cases, actually cost less. Yes, going off topic again, sorry
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver