Thread: Enough with the suspension !!!

Aspen and Volare Junior Member tubtar's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Enough with the suspension !!!

I have been picking away at my project , and cursing the guy who picked an '80 Volare wagon to start with. ( it was me )
    But I finally got to do some work on the motor , and that is immensely more satisfying , if for no other reason than parts are readily available.
    ' 77 Motorhome block , Speedmaster heads by Bruce Toth , Bullet hydraulic flat tappet , Molnar forged innards and Wiseco pistons , ARP studs throughout.
    There have been a couple hiccups...........silly me , I thought the pistons would have the Chev .927 pin.
    Nope.
    But the rods sure did.
    I sold them , and Tom Molnar whipped up a set and weight matched them to the .927 pin rods , as I had already had it balanced.
    GREAT people to work with. I cannot recommend them strongly enough.
    I am using the Ishihara - Johnson crank scraper to help with oil control and I had to do a couple minor tweaks for rod and crank clearance.
    Block was square decked with BJH fixtures , bored .030 over and line honed.
    I am shooting for around 500 h.p. , and a local acquaintance did just that with slightly less cam.
    I am using a split profile , duration is 238 / 244 @.050 with .540 lift using Comp Pro Magnum 1.5 rockers.
    I opened up and smoothed the oil passages at the pump and filter boss , and opened the oil passages from the cam to the crank to 5/16ths " , then restricted oil to the # 1 & 3 cam bearings.
    #2 and 4 feed the rocker shafts and nothing you can do with #5.
    Then ran the oil crossover between lifter galleys to equalize pressure from side to side and hopefully deliver even volume across the crank from front to back.
    A lot of over kill for what I am doing , but it won't hurt anything and my time is cheap.
    I am also oiling through the pushrods to the rockers , using AMC lifters.
    I sweated over this decision for a while , but I don't think it will be a problem.
    There is the possibility of delivering too much oil to the top end , and if this proves to be the case , I will simply have Manton make me a set of 7.650 " push rods with .020 oil restrictors in them.
    Part of the over build is that I can throw more at it in the future with minimal changes.
    I also had to massage the oil pump to clear the main stud kit and relieve the pick up tube for clearance.
    Lots of little attention getters so far , but I am going slowly and trying not to miss anything.
    For what I have in mind...........cruising around and occasional strip blasts , I think it should work well.
    It is for the wife.
    I have a '65 Dart for myself that is a real savage , so this one will be a lot tamer.
    It will even have A.C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails block IV.jpg   clearance.jpg   block.jpg  

Aspen and Volare Junior Member tubtar's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Things I have learned........... the Melling HV pump won't fit with a main stud kit.
    Some replace the stud with a bolt. I milled the pump boss down .200 " and cut the stud .375 ".........the top of the 12 point nut is flush with the top of the stud.
    Then I relieved the pump body and there is plenty of room. I have heard that this isn't an issue with the standard volume pump , but I don't know for sure.
    Head studs ? Know which heads you are using , because there are several options.........Brodix heads use one , Eddies and Speedmasters use another and stock iron heads use yet another.
    That was a 130.00 lesson , but I have a buddy who might need the set for an iron head deal he is building , so I will probably lose a couple bucks and make him buy me lunch. That is a push.
    Using the center sump pan and Moroso pick up , you can see what needed to be done there.
    The Molnar kit required very minor notching of the cylinder bottoms..........only in two spots , and i could have maybe left it be , but I like to have .100 clearance. More than you need with steel rods , but it is plenty safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails block VI.jpg   clearance II.jpg   block VII.jpg   block V.jpg