Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: steering wheel

United States
    Thanks
    here is a good pic of the 79 volare tilt wheel https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...-station-wagon

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

swordfish (1 Week Ago)

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That is the only steering wheel to ever be used in any tilt application across the Mopar brands from 76-80, as I recall being the stop date. The GM Saginaw sourced tilt column is longer than a non-tilt Chrysler Corp column so you can't have a dished wheel or it sits in your belly. 1976 horn pads were smooth without a medallion, and the ring inlay was mother of pearl. The following years all had a brand or vehicle medallion in the pad center and had woodgrain inlay. The one shown in Post #3 is a Dodge wheel. A Cordoba would have a Doubloon in the center. LeBaron would have an Eagle, and so forth.

I don't know what Chrysler called that wheel. I doubt they had a specific name for it. But I've always just called it a Tilt Blade wheel.

Only option I've heard of to replace this wheel, which would then in all cases be a non-factory application, would be to use the also not dished Tuff Wheel with a Grant adaptor that is shorter than a Mopar Tuff Can mount. I've never done it personally and the one person I know who did had column shift on his tilt column, which also then became an issue. He found that conversion also required a double bend shift lever. That one moves the selector lever back off the non-stock steering wheel application to not interfere with holding the wheel and driving. The double bend shift lever only comes on column shift tilt wheel late B-bodies (75-79) as far as the search took us. Although that's not to say there weren't also other applications we did not find. All other column shifter levers only have the single bend about an inch from where they input the steering column shift collar, whether they are for tilt or non-tilt columns. It took a little doing, but I was able to find what he needed and get him back on the road.
    Volare Magnet

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

swordfish (1 Week Ago)

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Trapp, very informative. The R/T has a floor shift for what it's worth. Now to find one of these... in great condition....in red...mmmm...

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swordfish View Post
    ... one of these... in great condition....in red...mmmm...

You're a Funny Guy!

I can't say that I've been looking really hard, but I've been looking for oh,,, maybe four years? Saw a dark blue NOS sell for $400. I did manage to get a nice black one for $100 shipped. But it really would be nice to have a red one to match my car too. Just never seen one. But taking the $400 as the high range, I'd almost have to wager that having a "restoration" done would be about the same price. From what I've read, a restoration actually entails copying and replacing your original plastic with all brand new colored epoxy. For the money, I'd sure rather have something new than something that simply,,, hasn't broken...YET. That idea is just a bit out of my price range. And yet mine also has that crack on the left like Post #3, where you hook your finger to turn the car and get reminded that you may have just almost ripped the side of your finger skin off to the bone. I'll probably just use Duraglass and thin cut strips of matting and resin in the ring groove to also replace the whole woodgrain ring. Then repaint mine red and hope it gets me down the road a few more years. Had wanted to do that last year, but then last year happened and I lost all motivation to do much of anything car related since there was nowhere to go and nothing to do. Hope this year is better, and that you have better luck in finding a nice red wheel than I have.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the motor-vation, your stand-ups' not bad either. Thinking maybe Carlisle (?) I'm still going through the salvage yard phone book. I'll keep you in mind if I find siblings

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Well . . . decided to go the restoration route (not cheap) and send it to Gary's in Pa.. Gonna keep looking for a spare though, keep you in mind Trap. . .