Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old and Forgotten Iron

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Old and Forgotten Iron

I have a love of rotting old iron at junkyards. Excuse me, "salvage operations". As I walk through the rows I imagine how great the cars from before my time must have been in their own time. So many are just old and worn out without any apparent damages beyond just having fulfilled their duties. Others are wrecked and some of those worse than others which gives a person pause to reflect on the brief and fleeting nature of life. Some obviously gave excitement as indicated by the expanses of polished stainless steel on their flanks or colorful stripes calling out performance variants with exciting names or engine displacements. Those old cars are a testament to having not only provided owners with joy and transportation, but then keeping others like them going into the future as indicated by their missing pieces. It's always a good day to take a walk among them even if only photos come back.

So with that I'd like to invite you to share photos of the things you've found interesting in your travels and tell your stories also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150513_164447.jpg   78SCDyard.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Today was very enjoyable. I got a few Volare measurements I couldn't get at home for a friend and then took a walk in my favorite woods thru many different makes and models of different era cars. If this is also an interest of yours, maybe Some of today's pix will interest you. Some may not seem to go with the website but this is the off topic forum so everything is welcome here. You'll surely enjoy as I load some of my older pix if this is also an interest of yours.

Heading back up front today after an hour or so of enjoying myself I passed the 66 New Yorker 4dr HT that sadly came in completely solid a few years ago. Somebody couldn't help themselves from chiseling the trunk lock out of a perfect lid to find nothing in the trunk. I knew that much from sticking my phone thru the hole in the package tray and taking flash photos the first week. Idiots. But today there was a pair of 14" chrome steel slots in the trunk of it that had come off the rear of a 72 Mustang not too far away with the other Fords. I couldn't get under that thing to jack it out of the forest floor unless I'd bring a shovel but I'd wanted the center cap that was still on the one wheel for years. And there it was in the open trunk of the New Yorker! So I popped it out and kept walking. It had just started to rain a little sprinkle as I got to the front and put the cap on the counter. Perfect timing. I explained where I got it and asked if he wanted to sell it separately from the wheels. The Yard Owner quizzed me about how I knew where it came from compared to where I found it. Haha, I probably know his stuff better than he does, and he's the 2nd generation owner so grew up with it too. I've been back there taking pix for forever during my peaceful walks in the woods. Then he remembered that he had lifted the Mustang to get those wheels out to recycle them. He gave me the cap. So I actually got something from the trip other than helping a friend and taking pix. That was pretty cool!

Today was a good day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210415_115810.jpg   20210415_121519.jpg   20210415_121853.jpg   20210415_122331.jpg   20210415_120346.jpg   20210415_131004.jpg  
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 04-15-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, those look like they've been there a looooooooooooooong time!

We have nothing even close to a scrapyard (salvage operation) around here. Lucky if you'd find anything made in the last century anymore. A '98 would be a rare sight. Sigh............................
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The modern scrap yard has replaced most old salvage operations as the money removed most of the latter. I enjoy chronicling those remaining, both commercial and privately owned in photos. It's something of an archeological interest finding the discarded tools of long gone eras in ruins. Those once beautiful functional sculptures now found broken in pieces on some forest floor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ButchRamRod.jpg   Cuda11.jpg   20190318_173112.jpg   GrabberRow.jpg   20151124_164131.jpg   20150513_161031.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The environMENTALists helped the old type yard go out of business with all the regulations and laws also. I remember spending hours roaming through scrapyards, even if I wasn't looking for anything in particular. When you did, then you got to deal with the usually grumpy old guy that owned the place. I fully understand why they were grumpy, dealing with some people who wanted things but didn't want to pay anything for them day after day will make anyone grumpy.

I know one old yard (long gone now) where people would come in wanting a used small block Chevy water pump. At the time you could buy a rebuilt unit at the parts store for about $15. He'd charge them $30. His reason? If they're that stupid why not? He always laughed when guys would come in to buy used Chevy lifters, even though new ones were like $5, so he'd charge them $10 each and then ask "who the hell puts used lifter in?" Guys like that al the time and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,GRUMPY. lol My guess is they found a cupped lifter and thought putting a different one in would fix a 15 lobe cam with 2 fuel pump eccentrics. Remember the Chevy cams back in the late '70's/early '80's?

Anyways, I miss the old timey yards.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Most places around here just saw money when scrap prices went up and they cleared out decades of restoration resources. There used to be a place called Hog Heaven just over an hour from me. Back in '03 the environMENTALists went after him under the guise of a Beautification program. This place sat back behind a small rise a quarter mile off the main highway and you couldn't see anything past a few solid rows of 1950's tractors back by that rise, other than his little sign out front by the mailbox. But they demanded he would put an 8ft fence all the way around 40 acres that were surrounded by woodlands on both sides. His property was nearly invisible to anybody that wasn't looking for it. It was an absurd demand. Although it had actually been a pig farm at one time and there were tales of avoiding hogs to get parts in the day, it only had a rusting away old wire fence around it. The land itself was virtually worthless for anything other than it had been since the end of WWII. Just a couple feet of sand over limestone. All that pig poo had done nothing to enrich the soil covered in scrub grass and trees that barely grew in the sand. But it was perfect for keeping old worn out cars from rusting away. So many magnificent relics with great parts on them, and many of the cars completely restorable. Right here in the Heartland, without a trip to the mountain states of the west. Nothing newer than about 75 and not just great cars going back into a large selection from the 30's and 40's, but some incredible trucks too! I hauled so many truckloads of parts out of that place as he was preparing to call in the crusher because they were forcing him out of business. Truly sad. So many things I wish I would have also bought at the time but was looking for a new property myself and whole vehicles just weren't in my ability at the time. I did bring home a really nice D-100 Swepty loaded heavy on my trailer nearly cab roof high with parts one day, but so much great iron was lost. Solid good iron just waiting for another chance that never came. I'll have to dig that nearly 20 year old photo card out and share some day.

In the meanwhile of digging out what used to be, here's some additions from more recent archives.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140715_150830.jpg   20141219_135812.jpg   20141219cabover.jpg   20141219_135057.jpg   20141219_135515.jpg   20151124_162429.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I agree. When scrap prices went up most stuff stayed at the yard for about 2-3 weeks before getting crushed. Mostly late model stuff around here now.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Saturday Morning!

Let's hit the yard bright and early.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151124_162339.jpg   20151124_163313.jpg   20150804_112816.jpg   20151125_162124.jpg   CoronetConv.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member DCAspen's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    What year is the Diplomat?

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's an 80. Going to drag it out of there to bone out at home one of these days. He's offered it to me for scrap value. Pretty upset that some idiot pulled the beautiful dark blue driver door panel off to lay on the ground at some point and left it there beside the car.
    Volare Magnet