Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a 1980 dodge aspen coupe

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If you call ESPO, just tell them what car you have and they should be able to determine which springs you need. As for the spring plates, that is the ISO-spring set up. The pads are available in poly (ESPO has those also). The plates themselves,,,,,,,,,,,,don't know. There are some parts for F-body that are more or less made from unobtainium if you want new (some used are about that way also,,,'78/'79 Aspen grille's for example). Maybe someone has good used ones. They are all the same, only difference is between 4 leaf and 5 leaf springs for the "boxes".
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

Jansen5 (05-06-2021)

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You'll pick up over an inch of height on a standard spring with iso-delete. So don't order taller springs. I heard you can do better from the local parts store than getting the rubber bushings currently coming from Espo. But their springs are top notch according to everybody who's got them.

Oh, and if you want to keep the axle iso set-up. Give the boys at Firm Feel a call. They haven't forgotten how to make anything they ever have just because it's a made to order item not in the listings today. And if you go that route you can get fresh better than rubber pads for inside from polybushings.com
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 05-06-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    Volare Magnet

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

Jansen5 (05-06-2021)

Aspen and Volare Junior Member Jansen5's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    At one time Firm feel sold new brackets that surrounded the leaf spring with the rubber isolators. I don`t see them on their site anymore. If you want to get more involved you can eliminate the brackets and the rubber and use the shock plates that are used on earlier mopars. You can search for good used ones but they are getting harder to find too. http://www.firmfeel.com/fmj_body_mopar_parts.html
    http://www.firmfeel.com/fmj_body_mop...ck_plates.html

You guys are life savers man before I joined this forum I was looking online for hours to find parts. I’ll keep posting as I make progress on the car

United States
    Thanks
    https://www.autorust.com/product/rea...mopar-art-040/

I`m not sure if these are still available on this site. Worth a try.

United States
    Thanks
    That looks like exactly what I’m looking for , would you happen to know of it comes with a bushing too? Also what happens if I say **** it and drive it with the current cracked in half shackle

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The axle could become detached from the spring and drop down to the snubber (bump stop), along with it moving until the tire hits the inner fender well and gets shredded, along with damage to the sheetmetal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not a good idea to drive it with the plate cracked. It may not end well.

The bushing as you call it (actually "isolator") is seperate and can be had from ESPO, or any number of other vendors, in poly. The originals were rubber of course and, far as I know, are made of unobtainium. Poly is much better than the rubber anyways. I've got poly isolators in my Aspen and no complaints. Not as good as solid mounted but a million times better than squishy rubber.
    Last edited by aspen79; 05-08-2021 at 08:25 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks

United States
    Thanks
    BTW, Those brackets from auto rust are for 4 leaf spring vehicles. Jim AZ parts had some spacers he made up for the 5 leaf applications.

United States
    Thanks
    This is the infamous isolation plate made from unibtainium right?

United States
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D2B66F1-9DB2-4915-88E5-26A37ADD6D18.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	6715