Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dash light bulbs

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The LED bulbs have the same number as the equivalent incandescent bulb.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Yea, thanks. I finally realized that. LOL I also ordered superbright leds 194-CWCOB1W-10PK: Cool White. Then I read chaz said he used them and they were no brighter. They also are on back order so I may see if I can cancel them.

United States
    Thanks
    I'll try to see if I can find what brand I bought. They are more than bright enough.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I cancelled them and ordered ones that were more money but they look close to the ones your showed in the pic. 194-CWHP5: Cool White

United States
    Thanks
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 1 Week Ago at 04:06 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    I have found that cheap LED's are cheap for a reason. They don't put out the light they should and don't last as long as they should either.

I can't find what brand bulbs I bought other than I ordered them from Summit. So far, so good. They dim gradually as they should, with the rheostat. Happy with them, whatever brand they are.

United States
    Thanks
    I should be getting my bulbs shortly. I have a couple more questions, when you replaced the bulbs with LED did you replace all the cluster bulbs? or just top two illuminating bulbs? I want it to look close to original but just brighter. Not so worried about seat belt light etc. Can they be mixed and matched between LED and the standard 158?
    Also when I found my fuse was blown for the cluster a while ago I tried a 7.5 fuse just to see if it was the problem. I still have the 7.5 in there. I ordered some 5 amp fuses since I didn`t have one and figured I would change it when I did the bulb change. The old fuse in there was 3 amp so I assumed that was possibly why it was blown? A 76 volare owners manual calls for 5 amp.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 6 Days Ago at 03:44 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Unless yours is different, there are 3 cluster illumination bulbs. I have LED for illumination but the signals, hi-beam indicator, etc are incandescent. I put LED in the HVAC, shift indicator, radio and headlamp switch panel (and IIRC, he ashtray light) as well, all blue. Now that I think of it, I never checked if the ashtray light works but then again, I never open it up anyways.

With the COB style, they look original, just a lot brighter. I never tried white bulbs with the green diffusers though. The 1st ones I tried were the old style (with the little bubble or whatever you want to call it) with 4 small LED's each and talk about blotchy. Had 3 bright spots where the bulbs were, and dark where they weren't. Was obvious as soon as I turned the lights on those were NOT going to work, lol.

One odd thing. I have LED dome and map lights and they work fine. When I tried LED in the glove box light, it didn't work. Even tried 2 different bulbs and,,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing. Put the incandescent back in and called it good enough.
    Last edited by aspen79; 6 Days Ago at 08:25 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Another thing to watch out for on LED is some of them have a diode bridge so you can put it in either polarity. Some don't, and if they are in the socket backward they won't light.

Worst, I be some sockets are wired one way and some another. When I LED converted my exterior lights I got a pair of blinker modules that work with LED without a load resistor. The hazards were fine, the turn blinker socket was wired backwards so it wouldn't work. I had to pull the fuse panel out and re-pin that socket to get it working.

edit: come to think of it, I wonder if I have to wrong lense/diffuser style in my dash and it is putting all the light where it doesn't help...

United States
    Thanks
    79 here is a pic from my service manual. I am only seeing two ilummination lights. Edit, Never mind I see another down on the right side of the pic (left side of the board). I need better glasses. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pc.jpg  
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 6 Days Ago at 06:55 AM.