Thread: Squealing front tires

Aspen and Volare Junior Member E dub's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Squealing front tires

I replace the entire front end, even got the poly bushings. Seems to be a Cambor issue. Iíve ripped through countless tires, and it after reading post, wondering if I may have installed the center link backwards. Happy to be here. I replace the control arm rod on top with the offset ones, and still no different

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Interesting problem. Going to need details. These things like as much camber as you can give them, which is typically only 5 to 7. Having all new parts will eliminate many possibilities. Lets see the tire wear and the description of it. Dig into symptoms and etc.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I think you meant to say caster, not camber.

Do you mean the tires squeal on corners or going straight ahead? If it's only on corners, thee is something wrong with the steering geometry. The center link should curve down and the rear of the car. In one place there's a small flat that I think says "rear" (IIRC). At any rate, it should be on the drivers side next to the pitman arm stud.

I'll assume it had an alignment done. Usually, unless there's a known problem, nobody pays attention to the initial readings that indicate toe out on turns, steering axis inclination, etc In a normal alignment, it's just camber, caster and toe readings.

Take a look at the center link first and see how it's on there. I know it's hard to tell in the photo but maybe it'll give a little help? You can see by my tires, this was taken before I did the upper control arm TSB shim fix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0001.JPG  
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-26-2021 at 07:17 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

E dub (09-17-2021), Rattle Trap (08-27-2021)

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Plenty of alignment shops these days have no clue how to align our unusual front end design.

Mine squealed around curves when I un-lowered it which caused a lot of toe in. I got it aligned at a popular national network of alignment shops and used up a set of brand new front tires in a week. Found a high end classic car restoration and speed shop and have more than 30k on the second set of tires.

United States
    Thanks
    The trick is to find a shop with guys, or gals, that care about their work. Unless they're working with an old light beam and string machine from the '60's, they all have the HOW to make the adjustments in the machines programming. Just click on the tab and read away, and look at the illustrations. That said, it may not be programmed far enough back for F/M/J bodies (ours at work, surprisingly, is. The specs and procedures are proragmmed back to 1974) but, the adjustment procedure is so basic. If the vehicle isn't in the data base, you then look up the specs and enter them manually. Just like any other alignment, you first do the set up procedure and IF there is specific complaint or concern, you analyze the initial reading that come up on the screen where it shows steering axis inclination and toe out on turns (along with 3 or 4 other measurements). This is mainly to check for bent components. If a car has been in an accident and is in for a body shop alignment, those readings are important. Then you set caster and camber, followed by toe. Then, redo a caster swing to double check the readings match before and after. It'll normally be caster that is off. Readjust caster and camber if needed, check toe and tweak if needed. Then road test. It's not that difficult. I mean the procedure itself. Up here in salt country, the adjustment are the sticking point if it's more than a couple years old and driven 12 months of the year (it's called RUST).
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Find anything wrong yet?

United States
    Thanks
    Aloha Iím in the same boat. Iíve replaced my entire front end, and still ripping through tires. I installed the offset camber rods And still squealing. I might have to shelf my license plates. Here on Kauai I have very few options to find a new front end. Wishing you the best, and hope to hear good newsÖ

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I think this is my last option after replacing the entire front end and offset camber rods. I cannot open the images. I would love to see them. Any ideas?

United States
    Thanks
    If you rebuilt the entire front end, do you have it aligned? Do you have the printout from the shop? Are you aware of the three most critical angles of an alignment?