Thread: Summer Screw Offs

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Summer Screw Offs

Here's a couple of the things I've been filling my evenings and spare time with lately to keep my hands and mind busy while I haven't really felt the motivation to undertake heavy reconstruction jobs on real cars in the garage. Chopped and dropped Squarebird WIP that's nearly finished with custom grille and skirts. And a resin cab that I widened the fenders and running boards on and put on a custom built chassis with a scratch built bed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 241821728_2983406015260270_735012669741609295_n.jpg   211431044_2929857340615138_2202795115590910898_n.jpg   210465256_2929857437281795_3139068952840271416_n.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This was just for giggles. Field modified RZ1 R A-Wing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210828_153852.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Haven't had time to screw off lately with my models that allow me to have my own car shows full of things I'd never drive, never own, or never afford yet get to build in scale without budgetary constraints. Any day the weather has been below 80* I've been outside working to get set up for the comfortable months when I can get the garage just warm enough to not see my breath.

But here's a few progress pix of what I get done in the evenings when not out there. I made a King Ranch interior for the 55 C600 by parting out a Raptor kit I got at HL. I decided against the cream console and dash panels in the end and went with the saddle leather color on them. The color was supposed to be Bone on the rarer Tri-tone interior anyhow but it was just too much contrast in a small space. I had considered using a spare 80's F150 interior from a glue bomb I parted out years ago and would match the vintage V175 diesel engine. But in the end it came down to two things. If you've ever had the pleasure to spend some hours behind the wheel of a King Ranch trim F-series, you already know how enjoyable those miles become. In contrast, if you've driven an 80's F700 or larger truck, you know it is not anything like a good time. It's a workhorse and you're going to Earn the time behind that wheel wishing you had a better job. It might even inspire you to gain some skills and get that better job. And secondly, since that old 80's diesel is getting an intercooled turbo upgrade to more modern power expectations it's not really the same as that old tech anyhow. Even if the chassis I built is still basically that same old straight axle, I did take the time to turn it into a dropped axle. I wouldn't want to spend long behind this wheel either way but at least by narrowing and modifying a modern interior to fit this cab, it Appears to be a nice ride. And appearances are everything in scale since you don't actually get to drive them. It's just something I take into consideration when building because I like to build what I like and might enjoy if it were scaled up. AND I get to do that because instead of spending $1,000 just for used seating to go into a Real lower trim Truck, the whole kit was only $14 with the 40% off at Hobby Lobby. I custom mixed 4 colors from the Acrylic Crafts paint aisle that were 30% off $1.39 each to make this look this way, and I barely used anything that came in them so those remain for other projects too. So it's all in the name of a good time on the cheap and I move another step closer to finishing this project that's been in WIP status since some time around May between all the other things I've been doing.

The other thing I've been screwing off with lately on occasion is this 67 Falcon Gasser!

I got way too many Fords and Mercury's in that last batch of vintage kits. It's how it goes really. Most people see anything Mopar and KNOW it's worth a Ton of Money whether it's real or scale. I was Super Happy to get a single Mopar in that lot because that $500 kit is going to pay for shipping on another REAL car coming to me soon. But I turned the box for this 67 into my Parts Box for all things Falcon and midsized 60's Fairlanes. and that meant there just wasn't room to put it away for the future. One of the groups I'm in here online is doing a Gasser Contest this month. So I'm Whipping it Out to place in my car show rather than the box it won't fit in with all the other spare parts I got that didn't come with cars or boxes. I don't expect to win the contest. Because this is among a good bunch of Pro Level builders. I just want to Show with them and enter my basically under detailed build excepting the engine bay having a few added details beyond Box Stock and get this thing on my shelves with the others. With Fall coming soon I just don't have the time to dedicate yet to a true Contest Quality build and will be just as Happy to place mine on the online table among the better cars made by people with more spare time simply as a piece of Nostalgia for a bygone era and be proud of the effort being the best I could do with the provided kit without adding a ton of time and money in cottage industry parts. It's just going to sit behind a sheet of Lexan where I can't even open the hood or get a good view inside for the most part once completed anyhow. Not that I didn't do an excellent job detailing the interior already. But I never have any shame bringing what amounts to a "driver" to a carshow. Because I don't actually care about winning, only being there and enjoying the scene.

Well, and my RZIRA -Wing fighter won last months contest after the voting was tallied anyhow. So I don't want to look like some kind of Trophy Whore. I only built that for fun too. The A-wing was $9.99 at Ollie's, the Rivi was $10 on eBay, the headlight laser cannons are aluminum tubing. A little this, a little that, paint it up and throw some dullcoat on it then start dry brush weathering it til it's filthy.

Good Times!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 242124348_2986381581629380_3824354393945028655_n.jpg   241790227_2982827351984803_4709195109057918058_n.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Ran across this one at my dad's house this morning. Still remember when he bought it at the Iola car show in 1978, and never assembled it. It's a 1/25 scale version of his 1/1 scale '62 Fury 2 dr hardtop that he bought new, which I guess is actually mine now.

Don't know if I'll paint and assemble it or not yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00558.jpg   DSC00557.jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    NICE! The Fury and Dart hardtop kits are more highly sought after and valuable than the convertibles. Which of course means I only have the convertibles to show for 62. Congratulations in the small thing of your dad having passed that to you. Always a little bittersweet coming into possession of such things. But I do honor my predecessors in finishing them up to display, along with cleaning up their old built up's I get, to display those as their own work and daily reminder of them and where I come from. I'll show some of those some time.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Far as I'm aware, this is the only model kit he ever bought. Even though I know it's OK, I still feel kind of like an intruder going through drawers, cabinets, and other assorted things, if you get what I mean. Like I shouldn't be rooting through all that stuff. The Fury was in his dresser, under a couple pairs of long john's.

I may work on it this winter. Of course, a trip to Hobby Lobby is needed since I have exactly zero modeling supplies anymore. I take that back. I do still have a small detail brush I bought from a hobby store which closed way back in 1978. How it never got lost, is a mystery! Other than that, I've got zip. Guess I'll see if my modeling skills haven't been lost as well.

Being a JoHan kit, it's kind of basic so, I'll have some work ahead to remedy that situation. If I'm going to build it, don't want to rush and want to make it as detailed as humanly possible.

What I'd like to find, and they MAY be in a box in the basement yet, is my old SST cars. You know, the one's with the flywheel tire in the middle and the zip cords? I recall a couple of the demo derby ones that would fall apart when they crashed into each other. Might be long gone though. Wish my old Hot Wheels were still there as well. Had probably 50 of them, along with some Matchbox cars from the '30's and '40's. Gave them all to my little (at the time) cousin in the late '70's. Last time I saw him about 30 years ago, he wasn't little anymore. About 6' 4", 220 lbs. Grew up to big a big boy!
    Last edited by aspen79; 3 Days Ago at 10:17 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I totally get the problem with being placed in the situation of having to deal with another person's personal effects especially in the context of emotional attachments. It's probably very sad that I've become numb to it and consider it both an honor as well as a duty now without consideration of my feelings for the person. I'm barely younger than you but have been involved in these duties for over twenty years now. The discomfort is gone and been replaced with a small and simple joy of knowing the memories attached to certain items they've left behind knowing some day they would pass to me to take the proper actions with. Many things just hit a dumpster and that how it is with any of us for sure. But there are those bright spots where items they truly enjoyed and left behind knowing I would know what it meant beyond it's physical reality was an irreplaceable sentimental value. That comes with a responsibility to the estate as well in never being a thief since others are always involved and I can say I've never pirated an item no matter what it meant to me. Not that I haven't kept things that meant more to me than anybody. But there are also those things our forebearer's never did anything with and we have to wonder about. Like that 62 Fury. What beyond nostalgia for a time long gone possessed him in that moment, to purchase that item in the knowledge that he didn't have the tools to see it to completion? It was that special even so. A significance that transcended the inability and would provide relief from winter humdrum feelings each time it got uncovered. That memory of something long past was right there on the box art. He never needed to build it to feel that. Remember that time of youthful enjoyment. For him, it never needed to leave it's box for that to happen when he needed it most. But as having been entrusted to find it and deal with not only that thing but every other thing, it falls to you to decide what to do with it. I could look upon a 62 Fury behind the lexan of my built cases, and every other offering from Plymouth or Dodge that year with the most incredible admiration personally. They really stepped outside the box that year and created some of the most uniquely beautiful vehicles in all their history despite having always led in styling. Clearly they were way before their time as according to 63 models, but they have always held a very special place in my heart among anything that came to be just before or at anytime before my existence. If you need any assistance or wish to receive it back built to your specs I would be more than happy to accommodate. Just because we've known each other here for so long and I've taken such great enjoyment from many years of your postings. But I think there's a good chance you've got this even though it's wisest to home your own skills in scale on a few other items of interest to you personally before tackling something which you share an importance in, with being an heirloom left to you to discover again.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    All he had to do is look in the garage or driveway for his full scale '62 Fury. I'm still torn about what to do with it. On one hand, it's the car he and my mother bought right after they got married in 1962 but on the other hand, I have no place to keep it and honestly, can't imagine ever being able to restore it. We'll most likely end up selling it but,,,,,,,,,,I want to make sure it gets sold to the right person. Someone who wants to restore it, not cut it up for a drag car or make it into a Super Stock clone or something. You know what I mean.

The '62 Fury is kind of a love it or hate it type of car. I think it looks good, if a little odd also. They do look a bit off in proportions and that's because it was originally designed as a full size, like the '61. Then at the last minute, they shrunk it to mid size. Something got lost in the translation.

Next time I'm over there I'll have to get a couple pics. From sitting outside forever, it isn't what it once was and looks pretty sad, especially the interior. Most of the paint is gone, the tires go flat.........................I don't think it's been driven much, if at all, since my mother passed away in 2009. That kind of took the enthusiasm for doing much with the cars right out of him, when his wife of 46 was gone.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Days Ago at 07:51 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There's plenty of restorers out there for them. A friend just across the Michigan border pulled a 62 Fury convertible project out of an old guy's garage last year and sent it along to a new owner pretty quickly. But they do make Awesome drag cars too. There was a local guy who ran a 62 Dart convertible with a 440 up until they didn't allow convertibles anymore. And I still regret not having bought a California solid '62 Lancer GT at auction a few years back. No interior, no engine, would have made the Perfect Gasser project with a small block. It only went for $800 too. But I was saving to buy something else at the time and that would have been a setback to the goal. I totally get the enthusiasm from sharing with a wife though too. I've got a bunch of cars. Hardly ever get them out, drive them, or show them off at all. Just the one I chauffer my wife around in, that's hers. Taking her for a ride, even to nowhere, just away from crowds and simply cruising like last weekend makes us both happy. It was the highlight of having done other things. Just spending time together with no particular place to go and no time to be there, enjoying the scenery. Can't say that I've done that on my own in almost half a lifetime. It'd feel a little weird now I think.
    Volare Magnet