Thread: What is the biggest rear tire ...............

Aspen and Volare Junior Member tubtar's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

What is the biggest rear tire ...............

That you can stuff in a stock wheel well ?
    Stock spring location.
    What mods can be done , staying with leaf springs , to go bigger ?
    I have an '80 Volare wagon , so tubbing would be tougher I think.
    But not out of the question.
    I have everything for ladder bars , and I have the early B body spring hangars and S/S leafs , but no firm plan.
    I did throw a 10 1/2 " x 30 - 15 in there and it looks like it will be a problem with stock axle housing width..............but shortening it will just put the tire into the leaf springs.
    What has worked for you ?

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well a Wagon/ sedan rear wheelhouse isn't as wide as a coupe. But if you stay short with a 295/50-15, those will fit and not rub a coupe on 8" rims with 4.25 BS. Been hearing of some guys running the 17x9" aluminum wheels on the rear but not sure of their specs. I've never personally liked 17's because the selection is garbage and the only wide tires are way too short. If I were to step up my size I'd have to go with 18" rears to really stuff some tall meat in there. Even if it meant doing the pie cut in the tight spot of the forward rear wheelhouse to keep from rubbing the inside// after swapping to an A-body axle for it's narrower width. I never mind rolling my quarter lips so that isn't a consideration. What you can fit is really only about how much work you want to put into it. You can flip your front perches and/or slot the body side hangers to move the springs inboard, use Van shackles on standard F body mounts in the rear to move those inboard as well, and eventually only find the actual wheelhouse as being your restriction prior to going with mini-tubs. Go ahead and get creative and shove some MEAT under that thing!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have some trouble fitting 275x60R15 on 15x8 in the rear of my 4 door. PO cut off the much of the lips. I have a '63 B-body (the seller tells me) 8.75 in there which is slightly shorter than my OE 7.25 was and I'm running 1/8 on one side and 1/4 on the other spacers to keep the rubber off the wheel house.

When it gets closer to body and paint time I'll have to do some repairs to clean up the lip butchery and I have to figure out what to do to get the axle centered better and an even ride height on each side. But for now she's a driver.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well just for giggles I put the 295's on SC43 wheels on the back of my black 5thA today. No way no how that thing goes down the road without rubbing, even if I rolled the lips. So I tried the 255/60's on for size and even on an 8" rim they cleared.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Junior Member tubtar's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys.
    I am afraid it may be back half and tub time , as I was hoping for a minimum of a 10.5 X 30-15.
    I have a set mounted and tried a test fit............... the only place I saw no potential issues was front to back.
    Frame rail and lip would both be in play.
    So I may as well go for the gold and put some real hides under there.

United States
    Thanks
    Wagon...I'm not sure. Wheel well will probably be the limiting factor.

In a coupe, I've put a 295/65x15 BFG Drag Radial underneath mine. Springs were in stock location. Rear housing was 68-70 B body, which I believe is 1/2" wider on each side, 15x8 Dragstar with 4.5" back space. Had to roll and flatten the fender at the very top to prevent it from slicing the tire. This was a dedicated drag car which lifted under acceleration. For a street car, you might want a slightly higher ride height to prevent rubbing as the suspension cycles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aspen 4.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	6947

Name:	aspen 9.jpg 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	6948

Name:	aspen 10.jpg 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	6949

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HP2 View Post
    Wagon...I'm not sure. Wheel well will probably be the limiting factor.

In a coupe, I've put a 295/65x15 BFG Drag Radial underneath mine. Springs were in stock location. Rear housing was 68-70 B body, which I believe is 1/2" wider on each side, 15x8 Dragstar with 4.5" back space. Had to roll and flatten the fender at the very top to prevent it from slicing the tire. This was a dedicated drag car which lifted under acceleration. For a street car, you might want a slightly higher ride height to prevent rubbing as the suspension cycles.

Name:	aspen 4.jpg 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	6947

Name:	aspen 9.jpg 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	6948

Name:	aspen 10.jpg 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	6949

I think I just watched videos of your car running out in Indiana or Illinois. It wasn't even 6:30AM, major coffee deficiency still but a guy comes by from down the line all amped up to show me the after dark runs saying it's a twin turbo G3Hemi? I just kept saying, "I KNOW THAT CAR! I KNOW THAT CAR! Where do I know that car from?" Facepalm. Been a while man....
    Looked like you had some trouble keeping her down once the front wheels hit the track on the 2nd run.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    It was someone else driving if it was this car you saw. I sold it quite some time ago, I believe 18 years go, to a guy in Texas. That's a long time ago. It could be in Indiana or Illinois by now for all I know. I do miss it at times.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't suppose a Sable Tan Aspen on those wheels is incredibly rare on the drag strip. There's even one that I see at Norwalk, although on different wheels. But they were some cool videos to watch first thing the other morning!
    Volare Magnet